Worth upgrading?

mall

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Hey all!

As we are approaching christmas rapidly, im soon going to upgrade some stuff in my computer.
Ill get an I5 760, new mobo, ram, a new case and a high quality fan.
Thoose things i've already decided to buy

But... currently i've got a Radeon HD 5770, and i've heard that the GTX 460 is the "best bang for the buck"
So my question is... is it worth to go 5770>GTX 460?

mall

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Thanks for your opinion.
Tho i dont think i'll go with tw0 5770's. Because 1 day i'll upgrade, and then i want to try out nvidia, I've had 1 gpu of nvidia and one from ATI, and i prefered nvidia. So if i upgrade gpu, it'll be a nvidia card

mall

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
And i could also mention that the game I mainly play is wow, so that's one thing to why i prefer nvidia.

cheesesubs

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

yes it is an upgrade despite what people said "no enough". gtx 460 destroy 5770 in many benchmark no matter how high 5770 can clock. gtx 460 has 32 rops and 256bit bus while 5770 only had 16 rops and 128bit bus and that is the huge difference. other like sp number and architecture/dx11/tessellation/antialiasing gtx 460 also show to be on top of 5770. some amd fanboi just couldn't get it and multi gpu isn't really support in many game and 2 weak gpu crossfire don't do much in performance.

if you want to get it i would suggest you either get gtx 460 oc or 6870 would be much better than stick with 5770 and get another pair for crossfire. that(5770) garbage card aint worth to keep...

beltzy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Hi cheesesubs. Make sure to take a look at the in-depth wow performance guide that Tom's wrote-- here's the link:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/world-of-warcraft-cataclysm-directx-11-performance,2793.html

Recommendations to get far better performance for the same money--

1) Instead of going with the i7-960, get an i7-950. It's $300 vs $570 for the 960 and there is only a tiny difference for in-game performance at default settings. If you OC, it's a crap shoot which you would be able to OC to greater effect (depends on the specific chip). Either way it's not going to net you better performance in-game worth the additional money.

2) Use the $ that you saved from a 950 to go with a higher end graphics card. The 460 can run at about 80FPS average in the tests that were done even at ultra settings at 1920x1200, but that doesn't tell the story of minimum framerates when there is a ton going on (spell effects etc). The test is on a flight path. An additional $270 invested in your GPU will make a far bigger impact on your in-game performance than it will in your processor. GTX 260 1GB in SLI is a great choice and will ensure that you never are GPU limited with every setting maxed in WoW. Single card options are GTX 470 (priced around $250 now) or the GTX 570 (priced at $350- extremely quiet and very fast). GTX 580 is $500 and the fastest single card out, plus very silent as well. Just talking NVidia cards since you seem to be set on green-team, which is ok. WoW is a "The Way It's Meant to be Played" title. Any of these setups are overkill 95% of the time with a game like WoW, but with the high-end system you're looking at, you'll be 100% sure that you don't have a GPU related slowdown. It doesn't make sense to go with a super high end $570 processor and a middle of the road $200 GPU.

Other helpful comments as you go to do your build:
- X58 Sabertooth and Gigabyte UD3R are two of the "go to" mo-bo's for x58 builds.
- If you're not going to OC, don't spend a ton on a top-tier heatsink (something in the $30-$50 range should be good). Tom's does reviews on sub-$40 coolers. Check them out.
- 6GB of RAM is plenty
- HAF 932 is a good value with lots of room (I picked the pricier HAF X which has a few added features). HAF 922 is a bit lower cost with the same look, great airflow, and looks fairly easy to work in.

Hope that (pretty long) post is helpful. Let us know what you decide, how the build goes, and how it runs once you're done! If you plan to post a follow up, make sure you don't select a "best answer" as you won't be able to post after.

At reference speeds the GTX 460 1gb is approximately 30-35% faster than the HD5770. That's a bit iffy as to whether it is a worthwhile upgrade. The thing that needs to be considered though is overclocking. GTX 460s are actually rarely sold at reference speeds and even one's that are can overclock a large amount(30%+) with good performance scaling.

cheesesubs

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

gtx 560(g114) is gonna release in january and about 20% and 5% better than current gtx 460 & 6870 in benchmark so it is worth waiting.