Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Q6600 Temps on stock 70c on prime95?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
May 26, 2011 11:31:09 PM

Alright so I ran Prime95 for 7 hours and I just looked at my temps while its still running, its on stock everything(Fans,heatsink), I planed on reusing this CPU for the computer I am building now and over clocking it to 3.0ghz.

For stock is this normal, my case has decent fans, 1 small, 3 medium, and 1 giant one on top.


Here is the temps:



Also should I turn it off, I kinda wanted to see if it was having errors since my PC has been incredibly slow.
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2011 1:24:57 AM

The core temps are fine, all under 60
m
0
l
a c 172 à CPUs
May 27, 2011 1:47:40 AM

60 C load temps are not bad at stock freqs with the stock cooler.

Speaking from experience, you should be able to run at 3.0 GHz with little or no vcore increase. Anything more than that will require better cooling.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2011 2:21:59 AM

If you could, you should try coretemps.They would give you way more accurate temps.
m
0
l
a c 127 à CPUs
May 27, 2011 2:25:23 AM

ghnader hsmithot said:
If you could, you should try coretemps.They would give you way more accurate temps.


On a Q6600, that might not be true. I stick with SpeedFan for my Q6600 because the G0 had a lower TDP of about 10w compared to the B3 and most programs never adjusted for it but SpeedFan did. When SpeedFan said it was running at 30c, others said 40c idle and thats with a Zalman 9700 and IC Diamond 24.

As for the temps, thats pretty darn good for a stock fan. I stay between 50-55c on my Zalman but I am also running my Q6600 @ 3GHz.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2011 2:28:54 AM

jimmysmitty said:
On a Q6600, that might not be true. I stick with SpeedFan for my Q6600 because the G0 had a lower TDP of about 10w compared to the B3 and most programs never adjusted for it but SpeedFan did. When SpeedFan said it was running at 30c, others said 40c idle and thats with a Zalman 9700 and IC Diamond 24.

As for the temps, thats pretty darn good for a stock fan. I stay between 50-55c on my Zalman but I am also running my Q6600 @ 3GHz.

I heard speedfan having more of something for 65nm cpus and core temps should be more favourable for 45nm but never knew why.What is G0?
m
0
l
a c 127 à CPUs
May 27, 2011 2:32:03 AM

ghnader hsmithot said:
I heard speedfan having more of something for 65nm cpus and core temps should be more favourable for 45nm but never knew why.What is G0?


G0 is the stepping. The original Q6600 came out as a B3 stepping. Its the original. A few months down the road, Intel released the Q6600 G0 stepping CPU that had a lower TDP (95w vs 105w), ran at a lower voltage and overclocked much better. In fact pretty much every Q6600 G0 will clock to 3GHz on the stock or lower voltage. My Q6600 runs at 3GHz using 1.25v when the stock is 1.35v.

A Q6600 G0s SPEC number is SLACR.
m
0
l
May 27, 2011 2:36:28 AM

Ahh so wait I am actually ok? Hmm well I do wanna overclock it still, I am buying a couple things, guess I will get a new fan and heatsink also. I am switching from a DDR2 mobo to DDR3 and putting a Radeon HD 6850 1GB into it and 8gb ddr3(Currently have 2gb ddr2 at 333 speed ekk)

I am unsure if I have the G0 or B3, this came with a prebuilt, its about 3 years old.

As for the fan/heatsink, is this ok? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2011 2:36:43 AM

jimmysmitty said:
G0 is the stepping. The original Q6600 came out as a B3 stepping. Its the original. A few months down the road, Intel released the Q6600 G0 stepping CPU that had a lower TDP (95w vs 105w), ran at a lower voltage and overclocked much better. In fact pretty much every Q6600 G0 will clock to 3GHz on the stock or lower voltage. My Q6600 runs at 3GHz using 1.25v when the stock is 1.35v.

A Q6600 G0s SPEC number is SLACR.

Got it now.
m
0
l
May 27, 2011 2:41:41 AM

Ok nevermind, I found out that its G0 in CPU-Z.

Told me next to revision.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2011 2:41:45 AM

It's obvious that SpeedFan is using the wrong value for TJMax so your core temperatures are not being reported correctly. If the CPU temperature measured at the center of the CPU is 70C then the core temperatures measured at the hottest spots on the core have to be higher than 56C to 59C.

Give RealTemp a try. It's the only program that correctly differentiates between the B3 and G0 stepping based on real world testing.

RealTemp 3.67
http://www.mediafire.com/?jibd769x6z7n0c8
m
0
l
May 27, 2011 2:48:03 AM

Ok I am running that....What am I looking at though? This one just seems more confusing...I just tried this one though, different results.

m
0
l
May 27, 2011 7:44:24 PM

So I am guessing these temps are bad at full load? above 60? Do you think its a bad cpu and I should just replace it? Really rather not, would cost me more then I wanted to spend upgrading my computer, was planning on just getting new ram, GPU, and a motherboard for the ddr3.
m
0
l
May 27, 2011 8:28:52 PM

You should mention your ambient temp along with your system temp, otherwise comparisons/comment won't be correct.
m
0
l
May 27, 2011 8:45:57 PM

Sorry to sound nooby or silly, but how do I find that?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2011 8:49:35 PM

Niceone101 said:
Sorry to sound nooby or silly, but how do I find that?


Look on your thermostat for your Heating and Air system, depending on where you live, you may have to convert it to Celsius.
m
0
l
May 27, 2011 9:07:26 PM

Inside of the temp program?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2011 9:10:19 PM

Niceone101 said:
Inside of the temp program?


Ambient temperature is your room temperature. The room you are gaming in.
m
0
l
May 27, 2011 9:16:20 PM

Oh well, I am in a basement, pretty cool, if it gets hot I put on my air conditioner. I doubt my room is near hot enough to badly effect my computer. Summer has not started here yet...

Its in F, no C though....pretty sure that normal for here.
m
0
l
May 28, 2011 6:33:07 AM

So is there anything else I can do to check? The thing is I want to be sure its good before a buy a new motherboard that wont support newer CPUS other then this series.

I am upgrading my Ram/GPU but thought this could be saved being that its only 2-3 years old and I heard it overclocks well and is still up to snuff and wont bottleneck my new 8gb ddr3 and Radeon HD 5850....
m
0
l
May 28, 2011 2:31:14 PM

Anyone? I kinda want to place this order before the 30th since I am getting stuff on sale...sorry if I am being a pain, Just dont wanna spend more then I have to I guess.
m
0
l
!