Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Buying New PSU - Question

Last response: in Components
May 27, 2011 12:25:40 AM

Hey guys. I just have a quick question since I'm planning on buying a new PSU.

I have a pretty old PSU and need to replace it so I can run a better video card.

My current PSU has a fan in the rear and my case is for a top mounted PSU. (My PSU)

I was wondering if I could buy a power supply like one of these and just flip it upside down since I don't think it would be good if the fan was pointed at the top of my case?

Thanks in advance.

More about : buying psu question

Best solution

a c 77 ) Power supply
May 27, 2011 12:36:11 AM

Yes... the Corsair 650TX can have the fan facing up or down into the case. It will work just fine either way. It would be recommended to have facing down in a top mounted case with no top vent / fan (guessing by your current PSU, that might be the case :D  ).
a c 77 ) Power supply
May 27, 2011 12:38:05 AM

Can I ask why you need to go from a 300W PSU to a 650W PSU? Additional upgrades? You could save some money by just going with CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 for 1/2 the price.
Related resources
May 27, 2011 1:24:53 AM

Yeah, my current case doesn't have any top vents.

I didn't really plan on buying that one, I just needed an example for what I was talking about.

Although I'm not upgrading my processor right now, I'll want to sometime in the near future and don't want to have to buy another power supply when I do that.

That power supply should be enough for a new(er) processor?
a c 77 ) Power supply
May 27, 2011 1:55:27 AM

Your PSU choice will be good for any new processor and pretty much any single GPU setup. The PSU I listed, would still work for any new processor update on a lower level single card setup or any on-board graphics setup.
May 27, 2011 2:25:08 AM

Best answer selected by Noclipman.
!