Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Graphics card (need advice)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 23, 2010 3:25:09 PM

I see a bunch of cards for Nvidiathat have Blu Ray 3d support and open GL 4.0.My question is what would be my best choice for a graphics card for 3d Blu Ray playback.I just did not want to buy a new card and it be not so great. I also need to add that it is for a HTPC build and has to be some what quiet.Does anyone have any of these newer 430 or 450 cards let me know your opinion and what you think.My budget is between $70 and $140. So far in all my questions I have,everyone has been very helpful.I ask a lot of questions and the help is appreciated.Thank you to who ever responds.

More about : graphics card advice

a c 130 U Graphics card
December 23, 2010 3:30:14 PM

A passive HD5570 will be more than enough for your blu-ray needs and is around $65.
Score

Best solution

a c 643 U Graphics card
December 23, 2010 6:13:46 PM

This is a review of the GT 430:
"we think the GT 430 is an excellent multi-media graphics adapter for a work PC where you need some content accelerated, but most of all we think the GT 430 is a great Digital Media and Home Theater PC card. The latest video processor embedded into the GPU allows for Full HD (1080P) content decoding and acceleration. Next to that you'll have 96 shader processors at your disposal, and with software like Media Player Classic Home Cinema edition (download here) you can utilize the shaders to manage some complex image sharpening or whatever feature your performance level can handle. And that really helps out. GeForce GT 430 also supports 3D output to any compatible large screen television through HDMI 1.4 at bit rates up to 65Mbps. GeForce GT 430 supports high definition 24-bit multi-channel audio up to 192 KHz, and lossless DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD audio bitstreaming, nice features for a product in this price range, sure."
"Other than that, the card doesn't consume heaps of power and is very silent."
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gt-430-review/

The GTS 450 is more of a budget gaming card, but is quiet and higher performing than the GT 430 with similar features:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gts-450-review-ro...
Related resources
December 23, 2010 6:28:41 PM

Best answer selected by seanny.
Score
December 23, 2010 6:35:17 PM

AWESOME.This was the exact info I was looking for.The main purpose of my build was for 3d Blu Ray and PS3(the newer one 320 gb).I will be occasionally gaming.Just bought a 60 in Mitsubishi 3d TV from New Egg for $552.It was an open box but I could not pass it up.I bought a 42 inch Toshiba in 2008 for $1079.99,I now put the 42 downstairs to replace a 27 inch GE (1989 model). I was wondering about 3d glasses and emitters(sorry about topic change).Are there certain glasses that are compatible with my TV or will most work??Thank you for your reply and the info and your promptness.See,that is why I trust this site for answers.Happy holidays.
Score
a c 643 U Graphics card
December 23, 2010 6:41:06 PM

seanny said:
AWESOME.This was the exact info I was looking for.The main purpose of my build was for 3d Blu Ray and PS3(the newer one 320 gb).I will be occasionally gaming.Just bought a 60 in Mitsubishi 3d TV from New Egg for $552.It was an open box but I could not pass it up.I bought a 42 inch Toshiba in 2008 for $1079.99,I now put the 42 downstairs to replace a 27 inch GE (1989 model). I was wondering about 3d glasses and emitters(sorry about topic change).Are there certain glasses that are compatible with my TV or will most work??Thank you for your reply and the info and your promptness.See,that is why I trust this site for answers.Happy holidays.

I'm not sure there. I know Nvidia sells a 3D Vision kit with an emitter and active shutter glasses, but you will need to research whether they work with any 3D TV, or only with those certified by Nvidia. Other than that, you are probably looking for the regular glasses that everyone uses with their 3D TV. Good luck, the answers are out there with a simple Google search.
Score
a c 130 U Graphics card
December 23, 2010 7:28:15 PM

17seconds said:

Both show clear advantages for the Nvidia cards over the Radeon HD5570.

Of course, because I was merely suggesting the HD5570 for blu-ray playback (as indicated by my "your blu-ray needs"). The HD5770 is actually better than the GTS450 while also being around the same price.
Score
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 23, 2010 7:36:11 PM

The Nvidia cards have hardware decoding of 3D bluray and HDMI 1.4a. The ATI cards do not.
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
December 23, 2010 8:03:40 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!