1920x1080 lcd/led monitor at 75 hz refresh rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velo222

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010
I am having the hardest time finding (and knowing for sure) a monitor that can do 1920x1080 resolution at 70+ hz refresh rate.

Every monitor I see for sale (on newegg and elsewhere) has the maximum refresh rate spec, however it doesn't say what resolutions it applies too. So most lcd's say max 75 hz refresh rate, but it only applies to lower resolutions.

I am looking for a monitor that can do 1920x1080 at 75 hz specifically! Thanks for any help.

(i should add the only monitor I have found is the Benq gaming monitor that states it can do 120 hz (no idea what resolutions still), but it's about $500 -- kind of out of my price range lol).

Why do you need 75Hz? Most will only be at 60Hz for their native resolution; however, the monitors marked as 120Hz will be doing 120Hz at their native resolution, they are meant for 3D movies and gaming so you need high refresh and resolution, but they are special so they charge way more. I only see one monitor on newegg listed as 75Hz but its a small screen

Velo222

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010
Because 60 hz hurts my eyes. That's the main reason. When I run it at 75 hz, it feels much more comfortable, and I can tell a big difference. My current lcd monitor is an Acer g215h, which can run 75 hz at 1280x1024 (and feels comfortable) but at that res it looks crummy graphics-wise (since 1920x1080 is the native res of course).

No offense but everything I googled on this subject had the same replies: "Why do you need it?" or "My monitor does 75hz" -- but it's usually not at 1920x1080 lol.

I know most will be at 60 hz for their native resolution, that's why I'm asking if there are any that can do 70+ hz at a native res of 1920x1080 (hi-def) :)

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
You got to have money for those types of specs....If your gaming the refesh rates makes a big difference in maximum fps that is attainable 60 HZ refresh = 60 fps maximum that is outstanding at 1920X1080 My monitor will only do that res at 30Hz its a 42" Westinghouse....Not sure if you are a gamer, If you want silky smooth HDTV and HD Movies you will have to come off of a lot of cash most of the newer HDTV's have the 120Hz native in 1080p and their price mirrors the image quality i.e. you have to pay to play

Velo222

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010
Yes I am a huge computer gamer :) That is actually why probably. I am not interested in HDTV or movies at all -- like not even a little bit lol. As for games, like counter-strike, I actually could tell a difference in my gaming performance jumping from 75 hz up to 120 hz on my old CRT monitor. I know some people say it doesn't make a difference, but I can't deny the reality of the performance jump. I actually don't need 120 hz on an lcd though (too expensive). Eye-wise though, I can't tell a difference over about 85 hz. But from 60 hz to 75 hz I can tell a huge difference -- my eyes feel less strained immediately.

Anyways, yes my graphics card is decent enough to be able to get 100+ frames per second on most games running at 1920x1080 at 60 hz. So frames per second is not an issue either.

I have the power, however, I just now need an lcd monitor at 1920x1080 that can actually do over 60+ hz. I have done a lot of searching the past two days, and it looks like no one knows :( Or they don't exist, except possibly on 19" and below monitors and on slow ms response time monitors. They also exist for about $500 with the absolute latest monitors on the market that do 120 hz with 3d etc.......

Sorry for the book, but I just can't seem to find anything. I'm beginning to think that 1920x1080 @ 70+ hz monitors do not exist mainstream yet. As you say, I may have to shell out $470 bucks to get what I want. I can't do that right now though lol.

accolite

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
There is a difference from 120Hz HDTV to 120Hz Monitor, 120Hz HDTV take the regular 60Hz and interpolates the frames in between and so and so forth for higher Hz on HDTV's. A 120Hz PC monitor does not interpolate the frames so you actually get true frame rate from it.

Back to top main poster, native monitor resolutions are normally set at 60Hz, majority, there are some that support 75Hz refresh rates " like my Dell 19" very few, and 120Hz very few.

Interesting, I can see how that would help with CRTs, but i hadnt known anyone to have an issue with LCDs with lower refresh rates since the image is static until the next one shows up unlike on CRTs.

Several of the ASUS monitors i have just checked on newegg list their Vertical Refresh rate as 55-75Hz, you might want check their manuals and say if they list what its refresh rate options are at each resolution.

Velo222

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010
native monitor resolutions are normally set at 60Hz, majority, there are some that support 75Hz refresh rates " like my Dell 19" very few, and 120Hz very few.

There are many many lcd monitors that support 75 hz refresh rate. My current one does as well. However NOT at 1920x1080 resolution. Are you saying your dell monitor does 1920x1080 at 75 hz?

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
I seen a 52" 120Hz with 1080p for $1500 USD...It was the one that Mr. Sulu was advertising for on TV....Its the one with Yellow, Red, Blue, and Green instead of the standard RGB.....This is the one I am getting in three weeks....so $470 for a smaller version seems feasible...My ACER does 75HZ at 1366X768

accolite

Distinguished
May 20, 2009

You ever take 5 min breaks from pc at least every hour that was the solution for me, I noticed a big difference before as well but that was because I was starring at 8 hrs straight and then when I would get off of work I would be on it another 4 hours.

This info was from my optometrists and he suggested I use eye drops as well, been good this far, now I have a 30" that only goes to 60Hz and a 19" that goes to 75Hz and it's not bothering me.

Oh and keep your monitor at arms length not 12" away.

accolite

Distinguished
May 20, 2009

Sorry let me clear this up, My 30" does 60HZ at 2560x1600 and my Dell 19" does 75Hz at 1280x1024.

Velo222

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010

Thanks hunter. Yes I have checked newegg bunches of times :) They list the "max refresh rate" a lot, however they leave out what resolution that max rate applies to (i.e. the operating modes table). I have checked several monitor titles that state 1920x1080 @ 75 hz.......and the specific manual says it's actually only 60 hz at that particular resolution. 75 hz is the max, but only available on lower resolutions. And also, having to hunt down each and every monitors manual to look at their supported operating modes is very time-constraining and a huge hassle lol.

To the point: the "specifications" on 99% of the monitors on websites (like newegg and buy.com) are too vague and not detailed enough to tell if the 75 hz max rate applies specifically to the 1920x1080 res.

Velo222

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010

Well, in short, no. For instance, I can have 152 frames per second in say World of Warcraft, but my monitor is still doing 60 hz refresh rate. Now that is with vertical sync turned off. If I turn vertical sync on, it matches my frames per second to my monitors refresh rate (I think :sweat: )

Technically my monitor only refreshes the screen 60 times per second basically, so my 152 frames per second (by my video card) might be wasted somewhat......but I'm actually not sure. You can have more frames per second going than your monitors refresh rate though :)

To accolite: I do take breaks sometimes, but its usually not as much as I should lol. I also have the monitor at arms length or over. But this is also why I want a monitor my eyes are super comfortable with, because I play so much. Thanks you for the advice.

cacophony_88

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
hey men, i am from argentina (sorry for my english)
I resently read about this monitor: LG W2353V
And says that can run at 1920 x 1080 @ 75 hrz (in the panel control of nvidia or ati)
Im gonna buy it only for that. LG isn´t my favorite mark.
good luck from argentina!

As far as I know, HDMI doesn't have the bandwith for 1080p @ 120Hz, but it might have enough to run at 75Hz, I'm not sure...I know you can get 75Hz at lower resolutions...

Best bet is to look up the manual online; they typically list all supported resolutions/Refresh Rates near the back.

And yes, 75Hz does make a difference; whats the point of 75FPS if your moniter can only physicaly display 60FPS?

G

Whats the name of the dell 19 inch?

aylafan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I also have a Dell 19" LCD monitor at home with 1280x1024 resolution (not widescreen) that can do 75Hz. It's a pretty old model and came bundled with a Dell computer with a Pentium D processor.

You'll be able to find it on Craigslist locally for around $100, more or less. Try to buy the monitor locally and avoid shipping, etc. on that site. Too many fakers/spammers on that site.

Your eyestrain, I assume only happens when gaming, probably in 1st person games? You are suffering from simulator sickness. I have the same issue and it's really bad with FPS below 40, but it usually starts as feeling like motion sickness, then eventually starts to give me a headache, but there are a lot of different symptoms to the problem.

If you are having issues at the desktop with an LCD monitor, then there might be something else going on. LCD monitors are solid state and do not flicker, but I'll assume you are having simulator sickness for now.

One issue with 1080p and higher than 60hz is it requires a dual link DVI port. I recently was looking for a 120hz monitor, and found a pair that came in 23" and 27". It turns out, after doing research, the 23" wouldn't provide 120hz, because it lacked the dual link dvi port (why sell a 120hz monitor without that ability to use 120hz?) . It seems the only reason they used a 120hz monitor was for it's 3d abilities.

Most of these monitors should work as they are for 3D vision and require 120hz: http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-requirements.html

But to double check, I'd advise looking for reviews of which ever you consider buying. Make sure it has a dual link DVI port and confirmation it works as a 120hz monitor.

I personally am waiting eagerly for my own. I decided to get one which will support both Nvidia and AMD 3d options and that come with a 3d kit for movies. You should be able to find one that doesn't come with the 3d kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.