Help Needed possible CPU problem?

counterpoint212

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Hello, first time here, but i'm not sure where else to turn, and I need some help with a recent computer situation.

I recently had to reformat my computer after catching a virus, Windows Recovery or some other, I figured it was just easier to nuke it than fight it. However after I reformatted a strange problem cropped up. I've some strange system lag going on now. When I run World of Warcraft I'm noticing some stuttering to my game play, not a huge amount but some.

I can also see it quite clearly and reproduce it when running something that updates continuously in the background. like Pingplotter, GPU-Z or CPU-Z during all my games (portal 2, CS:Z etc). Every few seconds there will be a slight stutter or pause to my graphics quite consistantly. I also notice a slight pause when opening browsers or my sound card control panel while they are running it looks, well laggy when they're opening, choppy frame rate and whatnot. I did open my case up and dust everything out the morning before I had to reformat, but I don't think I caused any static damage, but its possible, I did touch one of my video cards in the process trying to wipe some dust off while sitting on the stool I was working on, though I turned off all the power to the PC, and then touched my case, and the metal part of the doorframe on my closet as well, which I thought would be sufficient to discharge me.

Music and sound all play fine during these episodes, and i'm not noticing any huge spikes in CPU use (like up to 100%). Running my browser right now, with GPU-Z and WoW (in windowed mode) i'm only running 30-35% CPU. When I close everything, GPU-Z and CPU-Z etc will still seem to cause it, but running no games, and not running those programs things seem perfectly fine. The only time I see a large spike in CPU use is if i'm on a webpage like facebook, and I scroll all the way from the top, to the bottom (like as fast as I can) repeatedly, then i'll generally see 1 core spike quite high and then calm down as soon as I stop. No idea if thats relevant, probably just paranoia on my part but I'll include it anyway

I'm running a Intel Q9450 Quad Core, on an Asus P5N-T Deluxe mobo, with 4 gb of corsair ram on Windows XP SP2. 2x Nvidia 8800gt in SLI and an 1100w Tagan ITZ Series PSU.

I ran Chkdisk on the HDD, and it came back clean as far as I can tell. I ran Memtest86 4.0 for 9.5 hours overnight and 5 passes of all tests with no errors. So I have no idea of my CPU or Mobo is going out. Or if it could still be the drive, or if its a failing PSU (which I don't honestly know how to check but haven't had any shutdown problems, or even a bad vid card or bad reformat (if thats even possible)

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the only major software upgrades i've gotten since the last time I reformatted was AVG Free 2011, I considered that to be a possibility somehow, but I dont know. Along with the Logitech Gaming Software 7.00.291 for my G19 Keyboard, because I couldnt find the older stuff that I was perfectly content with

When I did my first format I went into the windows recovery console and did a Format C: ... then I realized I could have my windows CD do it, so I told it to do a quick format on the drive on top of that to be safe.

Sorry for the huge wall of text, but i'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out what it could be, as we've quickly reached the edge of my limited knowledge. Anything else I can provide to help out, I would be happy to. If anyone knows whats going on or has any suggestions please feel free to let me know so I can get this squared away. Thank you in advance

counterpoint212

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
I dont know that i'd say alot, but when using certain programs like the ones listed above or gaming yes I do seem to have some, nothing that brings my system to a halt, its more on the side of annoying and bothersome because I don't know why.

As for registry I haven't tried that yet no, because this showed up on a fresh reformat, and reinstall of windows. You could well be right, I just dont see how its had time to become cluttered on a brand new installation

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

I dont think its a hardware problem.But it can also be a driver issue.

counterpoint212

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
I'm currently running the most up to date drivers I can find with my cards. I was on the 257 ones for a long time, ran fine. Updated to the 270 ones when I reformatted. Rolled back to the 257's and still had the problem, so once again went to the 270's

Could a prossible GPU problem cause these sort of symptoms? I havent noticed any artifacting or anything like that

counterpoint212

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
So some updated news on the subject. I disabled my SLI in windows and I was still having the problem. Rebooted my PC with the monitor connected to the second card, in either input slot on it, and I simply wouldn't get anything from my monitor at all. Everything posted and booted fine, but no display. I don't know if I have to manually tell it which card to use or what. I didn't actually physically pull either of the cards out

Anyway so i'm looking today, cause my computer kept freezing up, and in my event viewer there was several disk errors over like the last 2 days (well after the problem started). Researching those told me it could be a faulty cable most likely, so I swapped the Sata cable out for a new one but i'm still having the problem. Haven't seen any more disk errors yet since the swap, but its only been a few hours. Don't know if this might help anyone help me, but putting it out there just in case.

counterpoint212

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Um sure I can try, let me know if i'm doing this wrong at all cause i'm sure I am. Most of them Say:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D.

and one that says:

A parity error was detected on \Device\Ide\IdePort2.

On digging far enough back in the logs from a few days ago, I found a couple that say:

The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort2, did not respond within the timeout period.

Which the microsoft site said were about my CD Rom Drive? I'm really not sure about it. I only saw ones mentioning my CD rom drive on one night, the rest mention the disk or the parity error

They only started cropping up in the log on the 28th of may. Which is after I posted about this problem. If you need me to post this another way, or more stuff, let me know please, happy to do it

counterpoint212

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Still no Errors being thrown by the disk 24 hours later. I havent been using my CD rom drive either so no errors from that. But i'm not sure if these errors mean anything deeper to my problem or not