Sign in with
Your question

Multiple monitor support in new build desktop

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 23, 2010 4:28:28 PM

Hi

I am currently trying to spec a new desktop system, which will mainly be used for spreadsheet-type work. But some of the spreadsheets are BIG, and I will often need to view several worksheets at once, so figured that a multi-monitor set-up would be ideal.

I see that there are previous threads on this topic, but I am starting a new one as the others are all starting with something, whereas I have a totally empty box, so can choose a motherboard with multiple PCIe slots to support multiple graphics cards, or go for a quad-port graphics card, or anything in between.

So, what do you guys reckon? What's the best set-up? The system will never be used for games or anything 3D, but could there be other reasons to get something with a ton of onboard RAM or anything else fancy?

Thanks for your help

Keith
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2010 1:57:49 PM

Personally I would go with a motherboard with one PCI-E slot and buy either a card like the radeon 5670 with two DVI ports and one Displayport for 3 monitors, and any card with 5 displayports for 5 monitors.
a c 125 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 24, 2010 2:04:39 PM

^That. If you're not gaming or working in 3D you don't need a lot of juice for multimonitors. ATI is definitely the way to go to use Eyefinity. Basically like mister g said, just depends how many monitors you want to use but most of the cards have at least 3 monitor support.
!