Sign in with
Your question

Help me pick a graphics card pleez

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 23, 2010 4:54:38 PM

Hi guys,

I was hoping you guys could help me out in picking up a Graphics Card for not more than $50-60. I guess I wont need a millions frames per sec, but acceptable nos on average settings.

My current specs-

CPU- E 5300

Board- P5KPL-AM/PS

RAM- 2GB DDR2 667Mhz

HDD- 320GB WDC

PSU- 450 Watt.

Monitor- 18.5" LG 1366X768

Currently using Win7 32 Bit.

1 more question - I'm gonna increase my RAM to 4GB (3.5 odd will be utilized by 32 bit Windows, I've learnt).

Should I get 800 Mhz or 667? Will voltages matter? The gentleman who assembled my PC advised 800. Said it'd be OK with my system. I can't get a whole new set. So just a single stick will have to do.

Also, I'm a total Non-Gamer. So can you guys suggest some fps games you guys like that I can try?

Don't think I'll be liking rts too much :) 
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2010 5:07:22 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

this is about the best you can do around that price, it's last gen so only dx 10 but it pretty powerful, nice aftermarket cooler, and right at $55 after rebate

as for ram, you might as well get 667, because all your memory has to run at the same clock speed, so it would just bring down your 800mhz ram down to 667 anyways, so save alittle cash and just gets the 667 mhz

m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
December 23, 2010 6:54:17 PM

I would agree, you should always have all the ram on the same frequency.

Depending if you would use the Mail in Rebate you could get the 5670 or 5570

I think the 5570 is the better deal here but the 5670 is more powerful.

I'm not sure if you have the money to buy new games or you already have them,good FPS to me are,Counter Strike Source,Team Fortress 2,Call of Duty:Black Ops and so on.

Both of those cards listed above perform better than the older model 4670.
m
l
Related resources
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 23, 2010 7:13:33 PM

This is better than any card mentioned so far;
It should let you max out the settings on most current games at your resolution. You aren't going to do better without spending close to $100.
The ram speed doesn't matter at all. If you buy 800mhz it will just run at 667mhz to match your current ram so get whichever is cheaper.
For first person shooters it depends on what sort you like. There are tons of them and a lot of good ones. I guess start with the more recent classics like Half Life 2, Bioshock, COD4.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
December 23, 2010 7:39:00 PM

What is the make/model of your PSU?
Gotta make sure you have a 6-pin power connector for the 48xx series...
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 23, 2010 7:44:03 PM

Or spend a few dollars on a molex adapter if it doesn't come with the card. Unless it is an extremely poor 450w PSU it should handle the HD4830.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
December 23, 2010 7:50:53 PM

Only thing to worry about is what type of PSU it is and what kind of shape it's in...
m
l
December 24, 2010 3:31:09 PM

Hi guys, firstly, thanks for all the RAM suggestions. Going by your suggestions, I think I'm gonna go with DDR2 667 from Kingston if that's OK :) 
jonnyboyC said:
this is about the best you can do around that price, it's last gen so only dx 10 but it pretty powerful, nice aftermarket cooler, and right at $55 after rebate
I guess as long as it doesn't have any compatibility issues with current newer upcoming games in the next year or so, I am only looking at decent a frame rate for my resolution. DX10 cards will be compatible will newish games, right?
purple stank said:
good FPS to me are,Counter Strike Source,Team Fortress 2,Call of Duty:Black Ops and so on.
jyjjy said:
For first person shooters it depends on what sort you like. There are tons of them and a lot of good ones. I guess start with the more recent classics like Half Life 2, Bioshock, COD4.
Thanks for the suggestions, purple stank and jyjjy. Are these MMOFPS or do I also get single player offline options?
jyjjy said:
This is better than any card mentioned so far;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814131381
Some of the cards mentioned are 1GB. This one and the 5670 are only 512MB. Will that make a difference? I do realize that it's the GPU that's more important the the memory, but is the 4830 as a GPU that much better than the 5xxx series?

As for the molex adapter, do I need a 4 pin to 6 pin molex adapter if I were to go with the 4830? Any links as to what I'm exactly looking at?

I really don't know a whole lot 'bout these stuff. But I'd like to. So please pardon my noobness :p 

As far as my PSU is concerned, I'm gonna replace my old unit with a COOLER MASTER - Hardwaresecrets review

@Malmental

My overall budget is 300 odd. No real hard cap, but can't ask Mom for more.

I need some software on my laptop for school work along with a RAM upgrade.

For my desktop, I need a good headset and a mouse, The former, I don't have and the latter is way past it's use-by date - the scroll button had stopped working some time back :) 

So RAM(30)+PSU(50)+GPU(60)+peripherals(50) already takes me to 190. The PC guy will charge at least 50 odd for installation etc. That makes it 240/250. Add to that the school stuff and I'm already over-budget.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 24, 2010 3:49:56 PM

Don't get that Coolermaster. It is not a good brand, no active PFC and only 312w on the +12v rail. This Antec unit cost about the same and is much better;
It does have a 6 pin power connector so you will not need a power adapter for the HD4830 if that is the card you go with. What exactly is the power supply you are using now? If it is 450w like you say there's a good chance you don't need a new one. You can find the brand/model on the side of the power supply inside the computer's case.
The amount of memory on these cards doesn't matter really. At your resolution more than 512mb of ram serves little purpose and at resolutions where it would matter these cards would be too weak. For reference here is a performance chart for a resolution close to yours containing all the cards being discussed here;

Honestly I would recommend you save the money and install this stuff yourself. The only part that may be slightly complicated is the power supply and even that is not a big deal. The ram and video card are as simple as putting them in the right slot basically.
m
l
December 24, 2010 5:20:53 PM

Thanks jyjjy for the detailed reply and the chart :) 
jyjjy said:
Honestly I would recommend you save the money and install this stuff yourself. The only part that may be slightly complicated is the power supply and even that is not a big deal. The ram and video card are as simple as putting them in the right slot basically.
Try telling that to my mom. She's already threatening me that she's not gonna spend a dime on any repairs if I were to 'mess up' anything trying to DIY.

The RAM, I know how to. I've even done it myself. But the Graphics Card looks a bit complicated from the Youtube videos. Lemme see If I can actually.
jyjjy said:
This Antec unit cost about the same and is much better;
Between the Antec and this Corsair 430W which one do you guys prefer if money wasn't an issue?
jyjjy said:
What exactly is the power supply you are using now? If it is 450w like you say there's a good chance you don't need a new one.
It is a carry over from an old HP that my Mom had. Says dual +12V rails with a combined output of 31 Amps (15+16). Sounds reasonable, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth (8 years-2002 build). Also No PFC - Active or Passive and certainly no Over Power Protection.

I don't want fireworks if and when I do try to draw close to it's rated output :non: 

As for the GPU, I was seriously considering the 4670 and the 4830 anyways, so is there any disadvantage with DX10 as opposed to DX11? (As in compatibility issues with new games and stuff)
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
December 24, 2010 5:41:30 PM

Like jyjjy said,most complitcated part of installing everything would be the power supply.The graphics card slides in the slot the same as the ram sticks do.

And that is what i was afraid of,your PSU proably won't last another year you should get a new one.The Antec would be the best choice.

You should run into any compatability issue with games running DX11 and the card being DX10.Only difference really is that DX11 looks better graphics wise.Most games that are being produced still aren't using DX11.DX11 is more like a higher class thing.
m
l
December 24, 2010 5:49:35 PM

purple stank said:
You should run into any compatability issue...
Thanks for clarifying, Purple stank. Good to know.

I do hope though, that you meant "shouldn't" instead of should :) 
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
December 24, 2010 6:50:17 PM

whoops sorry,Yes i meant SHOULD NOT.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 25, 2010 12:28:49 AM

Yeah, don't worry about DX11 on your budget. You want the best card you can get for the money. DX11 is nice but it basically means you will be able to use a few bonus settings in a small number of games. Every game out there will be playable, most likely at least until DX11 consoles come out and that will be a long time from now.
The Antec unit i linked is actually better than the Corsair with a better selection of connectors and more power on the +12v rail. The low end Corsair used to be better but recently they replaced it with the one you linked which is kinda crappy in comparison.
m
l
December 25, 2010 5:04:10 AM

Thanks, guys. I was leaning towards the 4670 (based on the chart) not so much out of budget constraints but out of the fact that I'll only be trying out gaming 'coz I liked a little bit of what I saw on a friend's comp and for all you know, I might get bored a little while later and then the entire drill will be pointless.

I don't want my this to be an uber expensive temporary hobby if it does turn out that way :p 

Actually, I played some Metro 2033 on my friend's PC and while I do realize that it's a very demanding game, do you think that if I were to go with the 4670 in jonnyboy's link, it would be able to handle that on the absolute barest of bare basic settings at 1366x768 just to give me a feel of what it might be like. Do you think downloading the 2.94GB :ouch:  demo file will be worth it?

I also remember playing a little bit of Halo and Quake on my cousin's PC when I was in elementary school and actually used to like it. That's why I wanted to know 'bout fps games.

Of course, if I like it enough once again, maybe later on I might get a full HD monitor and get myself a nice GTX 5xx or a Radeon 69xx after upgrading to a C2Q 9xxx :) 
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 25, 2010 6:02:04 AM

Well if you are going to bother to replace the power supply you should really get the HD4830. The price isn't very different and as you can see on the chart it's simply a much better card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 25, 2010 11:19:57 AM

@caldoll, are you going to upgrade that PSU?
m
l
December 25, 2010 3:45:34 PM

@jyjjy - Yeah, I know you wanted me to do the installation stuff myself, but my mom is adamant 'bout it that she doesn't want me to. So we got a local PC shop owner to agree to install 'em for free at the shop if I bought the parts from him.

They will also match any legit online price. And I specifically queried 'bout Newegg, Amazon, Tigerdirect/CompUSA.

The problem is, they don't have a 4830 currently, but they do have this XFX Radeon HD 4670.

I will look around though. The 4830 at just 10 bucks extra seems like so much a better deal.

But do you think if I were to get this particular 4670, I'd be able to play Metro 2033 on basic settings at my resolution - as I said - just to get the hang of it? Haven't played games since I was in the 2nd grade or something..

I'm looking to download the 2.94GB Metro demo and also seriously considering Black Ops.

@tamz - yes, 'coz I've been told that the old PSU may not be able to handle a graphics card. Just to be safe, I guess.

Otherwise with that budget, I could have prolly gotten a GTS 450 or a Radeon 5770 or something. I have gone through a lot of GPU threads on a lot of forums over the last few days and those 2 seem to be the go-to cards at that range.

But not many threads (at least not recent ones) on gaming cards at around 60 odd :( 

BTW, guys, no Nvidia recommendations? Not much good at this price range or what? My friend has a GTX 460 1GB which really does beautifully well for his Metro.
m
l
December 25, 2010 4:05:49 PM

simply get hd 5570 512mb ddr5 or hd 4670 512mb,1gb on either of those will be money waste.
m
l
December 25, 2010 4:17:45 PM

Hi caldoll, as far as the PSU is concerned, both the Antec and the Corsair are plenty good, but if you do intend to upgrade a year from now, you'll need a more powerful PSU.

At least a 650 Watt 80+ unit if you're looking at a higher end GTX Fermi.

Might be a tad out of your budget, but the CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX will let you use those cards if you were to indeed go through the upgrade process again in a year's time.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 25, 2010 11:57:04 PM

calguyhunk said:
Hi caldoll, as far as the PSU is concerned, both the Antec and the Corsair are plenty good, but if you do intend to upgrade a year from now, you'll need a more powerful PSU.

At least a 650 Watt 80+ unit if you're looking at a higher end GTX Fermi.

Might be a tad out of your budget, but the CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX will let you use those cards if you were to indeed go through the upgrade process again in a year's time.

The Antec 430w could handle a GTX 460 or HD6850 and those would be huge upgrades over the cards he is looking at now so it's not like he doesn't have an upgrade path.

caldoll said:
@jyjjy - Yeah, I know you wanted me to do the installation stuff myself, but my mom is adamant 'bout it that she doesn't want me to. So we got a local PC shop owner to agree to install 'em for free at the shop if I bought the parts from him.

They will also match any legit online price. And I specifically queried 'bout Newegg, Amazon, Tigerdirect/CompUSA.

The problem is, they don't have a 4830 currently, but they do have this XFX Radeon HD 4670.

I will look around though. The 4830 at just 10 bucks extra seems like so much a better deal.

But do you think if I were to get this particular 4670, I'd be able to play Metro 2033 on basic settings at my resolution - as I said - just to get the hang of it? Haven't played games since I was in the 2nd grade or something..

I'm looking to download the 2.94GB Metro demo and also seriously considering Black Ops.

@tamz - yes, 'coz I've been told that the old PSU may not be able to handle a graphics card. Just to be safe, I guess.

Otherwise with that budget, I could have prolly gotten a GTS 450 or a Radeon 5770 or something. I have gone through a lot of GPU threads on a lot of forums over the last few days and those 2 seem to be the go-to cards at that range.

But not many threads (at least not recent ones) on gaming cards at around 60 odd :( 

BTW, guys, no Nvidia recommendations? Not much good at this price range or what? My friend has a GTX 460 1GB which really does beautifully well for his Metro.

The GTX 460 1gb would be lovely but it is over twice as much as you are looking to spend. There's not much to recommend on the low end from Nvidia at the moment. The ATI cards are better in terms of price and performance. The cheapest reasonable card would be the GTS 250($90) or GTS 450($105).
Can you buy the ram and PSU from this guy and he will install them then order the card online? Like we have said the only part that is semi-complicated is the PSU. Installing a video card is very simple. If you still don't want to do that then I'd recommend you pay the extra for the HD5670, it is worth it compared to the cheaper cards.
m
l
December 26, 2010 12:27:39 AM

Hi caldoll..

with the limited budget as u have, it's the card I'd like to suggest. It's also nvidia :)  , for some info, my friend once said that nVidia supports more games than ATi does. I don't know how far he could responsible his statement :D 

I also want to suggest u to pay your MOST attention to the PSU. In my opinion, PSU is the heart of a system (like heart in our body). It supplies power like ur heart supplies blood. So, choosing a good PSU is a MUST. I call it INVESTMENT. I think u already had a good PSU, but remember, everything has its own lifetime and now it's the time for u to make a good investment again...

Last, I prefer 4Gb DDR2 667 to 2Gb DDR2 800

GBU...
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 26, 2010 12:30:09 AM

The 9500GT is weaker than every other card in the thread(and your friend is wrong.)
m
l
December 26, 2010 12:42:16 AM

jyjjy said:
The 9500GT is weaker than every other card in the thread(and your friend is wrong.)

yeah, but I assume caldoll wants a <$60 nvidia card...
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 26, 2010 12:50:26 AM

It would probably be wiser to assume he(she?) wants a good card.
m
l
December 26, 2010 2:51:12 AM

jyjjy said:
It would probably be wiser to assume he(she?) wants a good card.
OMG! Confusion over my gender? :pt1cable: 

I thought I had already filled that info in. Just click on 'More Information', guys :) 

I can be accused of a lot of stuff, but being a boy ain't one of 'em ;) 

And yeah, you are right. I just want the best card at that price point.

Actually, I am not looking to buy expensive components right now as I don't know whether I'd actually like gaming in the long run. If I did, I'll prolly go with a high end set-up in the future - a full (GPU+CPU++PSU+HD Monitor) upgrade.

That's precisely the reason, I don't wanna burden my mom with any more than a 100 bucks right now, especially as I've just got a new laptop for school work, and I still need some software to make it work.
m
l
December 26, 2010 3:15:27 AM

jyjjy said:
The Antec 430w could handle a GTX 460 or HD6850 and those would be huge upgrades over the cards he is looking at now so it's not like he doesn't have an upgrade path.

A 430 watt PSU is cutting it too close with a GTX 460 and a high end CPU (C2Q even at stock) IMO.

"On your average system the card requires you to have a 450 to 500 Watt power supply unit." - guru3d.com

I recommended a 650 Watt one as she had written 'bout getting a high end GTX 500 series card someday.
caldoll said:
I can be accused of a lot of stuff, but being a boy ain't one of 'em ;) 
Now now caldoll, no need to be mean to us. What's wrong with being a guy? :p 

caldoll said:
I don't wanna burden my mom with any more than a 100 bucks right now
Now if only all the kids were this understanding :) 
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 26, 2010 4:29:55 AM

calguyhunk said:
A 430 watt PSU is cutting it too close with a GTX 460 and a high end CPU (C2Q even at stock) IMO.

"On your average system the card requires you to have a 450 to 500 Watt power supply unit." - guru3d.com
I do believe they are talking about a PSU of average quality, not a quality brand like Antec. An Antec 430w is equal to or better than most brands 500w unit. Just look at the wattage numbers on the chart they provide.

Quote:
Now now caldoll, no need to be mean to us. What's wrong with being a guy? :p 

If guys are so great why don't you marry one? :p 
m
l
December 26, 2010 8:22:14 AM

9600gt is better than gt 240,256bit and 57.6 gb memory bandwidth is still good enough for low resolutions and medium to high settings!
m
l
December 26, 2010 9:32:00 AM

jyjjy said:
If guys are so great why don't you marry one? :p 
It's great to be a guy. But must be awful to live with one. Dunno why or how they put up with us, to be honest :) 
m
l
December 26, 2010 9:40:45 AM

calguyhunk said:
It's great to be a guy. But must be awful to live with one. Dunno why or how they put up with us, to be honest :) 
LOL. I don't know why we put up with guys either. I guess it's the old adage 'bout men - "Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em" :) 
m
l
December 26, 2010 9:50:24 AM

Quote:
FYI
your gonna have less than 3.5GB of RAM and depending on the size of your graphics card you choose.
you will have as little as 3.0GB available with a 512MB card (depends on card) and possibly 2.5GB with having a 1GB card.
so if running a 32-bit OS then you might want to stick to a 512MB card.
Hi malmental, thanks for your reply.

Do you have a link for me to check out that RAM usage limitations that you're talking about? It's just that no one else has talked about the correlation between GPU memory and system memory vis-a-vis 32 Bit Windows. And I didn't find a whole lot on the net either :( 
m
l
December 26, 2010 10:23:45 AM

mosox said:
Get a HD 5670 (only 61 W) if you can:
You should be able to run that card on your current PSU.
Hi mosox, thanks a lot for your reply.

My current PSU is 8+ years old. It's a carry over from an old PC of my Mom's, as I've already mentioned. I've been advised against using that too much longer with or without a new graphics card.

Do you really think it's worth taking a chance with keeping the old one? If I really don't have to get a new PSU, I'll actually be able to get a GTS 450 with my overall budget. I've read a lot of good things about it on various forums and websites.

But I really don't wanna take any chances and change the aging Power Supply anyways. What do you guys say? What's the worst that could happen if my PSU gives up on me? Could my Board/CPU and other components get damaged?
m
l
December 26, 2010 12:40:55 PM

oh man why not you just get hd 5670,we are all saying that it will run fine and your gaming will be fine,64.99$ is really low price point!!!just get it.
m
l
December 27, 2010 12:03:10 AM

mosox said:
What brand is the PSU, the 450 consumes more.
http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=623&card2...
What's your PSU+video card budget?

Hi mosox, as I've already said, it's an 8 year old HP PSU. And my total budget is around 100. That's why I said that I would have in all likelihood gotten myself a GTS 450 or a Radeon 5770 if I didn't have to worry 'bout the longevity and the efficacy of my PSU.

Since you haven't probably gone through the entire thread, my resolution is 1366 X 768.
mrjericho1991 said:
oh man why not you just get hd 5670,we are all saying that it will run fine and your gaming will be fine,64.99$ is really low price point!!!just get it.

Thanks for your persistence mrjericho. I'll certainly look into it.
Quote:
all you have to do is ask about it but I will find links.
I also speak from experience however and have a (2) 32-bit OS systems with a 512MB video cards in them.
both now are running on 3GB RAM available, and at first before graphic card upgrades I had a lesser performing 512MB card
and it left me with 3.25GB of RAM, same as most better performing 256MB cards....

.... As long as the resource requirements of the cards that you install do not singularly or combined require more than what is already reserved by default, you're not going to grow the memory hole in a 1:1 fashion.
Thanks for all the info, malmental. I've just turned my computer on and haven't had the time to go through the links as yet. I'll be doing so now :) 
m
l
December 28, 2010 2:41:09 AM

I did go through all your links, malmental. But if I were to get the extra 2GB of memory, surely that's gonna help, right? Irrespective of whether I'm running 32 bit or 64 bit versions of Windows?

Some of those articles are fairly dated. Haven't things changed since then? I've also read that Windows 7 Manages memory a whole lot better than Vista.

@ mosox - Correct me if I'm wrong, but from the benchmarks that I came across, looks as though the 4830 or even the 4670 are gonna be better than the 5670 on a frames per dollar basis if I don't really want DX11 support - or am I wrong?

Is there any other reason (barring DX11) that you recommend the 5670 ahead of those two?
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 28, 2010 4:43:28 AM

caldoll said:
I did go through all your links, malmental. But if I were to get the extra 2GB of memory, surely that's gonna help, right? Irrespective of whether I'm running 32 bit or 64 bit versions of Windows?

Some of those articles are fairly dated. Haven't things changed since then? I've also read that Windows 7 Manages memory a whole lot better than Vista.

@ mosox - Correct me if I'm wrong, but from the benchmarks that I came across, looks as though the 4830 or even the 4670 are gonna be better than the 5670 on a frames per dollar basis if I don't really want DX11 support - or am I wrong?

Is there any other reason (barring DX11) that you recommend the 5670 ahead of those two?

The HD4830 is definitely the best deal in your price area and the optimal choice if you are replacing the PSU(which is a good idea considering the age of your current unit.) As for the HD4670 vs the HD5670 the cheapest HD4670 on newegg is $65($55 after rebate) while the cheapest HD5670 is $80($65 after rebate.) So the HD5670 is 23% more expensive before rebate and 18% after. Looking on the chart I provided earlier in the thread the HD5670 is 26% faster so it is a better deal for the money either way. DX11 is just a bonus but more importantly the performance difference will be very noticeable when talking about cards of this caliber. It will have a large effect of what settings you can use on a lot of games and even more so in the future.
The extra RAM will certainly help despite what mal is talking about and is a good idea even on 32 bit Window although you would get more out if with a 64 bit system.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 28, 2010 6:48:46 AM

mosox said:
So, the list is 5670 better than 4830 better than the 4670. The 4830 has $6.98 shipping fee.
No, the HD4830 is significantly faster than the HD5670.
m
l
December 28, 2010 12:45:53 PM

EDIT- Sorry. I was looking to post in another thread :p 
m
l
December 28, 2010 1:47:44 PM

Hi guys, this is what I found. The following link is a good side by side comparison for 2 of the cards in discussion here - the 4830 and the 5670 - HD 4830 vs HD 5670

From that link, it may look as though the 4830 is not supported by Windows 7. The AMD website does however offer Windows 7 - 32 bit driver download for the 4830. In general though I'm told, most Vista drivers work without any major glitch with the corresponding Win7 version.

Which basically means that Vista supported hardware is supported almost without fail by Win7.

Also, AMD recommends a 450 Watt PSU for the 4830. Is it at all that significant? Or do they just specify higher wattage PSU's just to be on the safe side?
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 28, 2010 5:56:26 PM

The HD4830 is fully supported under Windows 7. The two cards use the same drivers in fact. The HD4830 does use more power but it will run just fine on even a 400w PSU as long as it is a good brand. What you want to look at when comparing the cards is mainly benchmarks rather than technical specifications. Even if you are on a expert on interpreting the specs of a card they take a back seat to how well it performs when actually gaming. Here is an article with a ton of benchmarks at varying resolutions for most of the cards you are considering;
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Axle/Radeon_HD_5670/
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 29, 2010 3:47:17 AM

The only thing that the HD 4830 would not do is that it won't support DX 11 games.But since the type of cards you're after are not powerful enough to handle all the bells and whistles associated with DX 11, having or not having support for it does not make any difference.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
December 29, 2010 4:24:39 AM

^agree

In order to take full advatage of what DX11 offers you would have to have a fast card,and the 5670 is not a fast card at all.But then again if you ever wanted to use DX11 you would have it for whatever reason.

For reference: I used to own the 5570 and i maxed out Call of Duty:Black Ops @1200x720.And i was maxing out SC 2 @ 1600x900.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 29, 2010 7:51:48 AM

The sentiment that the lower end cards can't handle DX11 isn't really accurate imo. The lower end cards are appropriate for low resolutions and at those resolutions they often will be able to handle the performance hit caused by those settings. Furthermore the performance hit from DX11 varies greatly; sometimes it is very minimal and in some cases DX11 actually improves performance. So I would definitely stay away from blanket statements like "the HD5670 can't handle DX11 features." That said when operating a low budget DX11 support should be pretty far down the list of concerns and you really should just be trying to get as much performance as you can for the money you have to spend.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
December 29, 2010 3:56:02 PM

She/he is looking to play FPS games,most of the ones that are out do not use DX11 so that wouldn't matter anyway,in fact not even Diablo III or SC2 are using DX11.I would go with the 4830 strictly based on performance.I've seen the 4830 overtake the 5670 in a couple of games by at least 5-10fps.I might even say go for a 4850 if your budget allows it i think it's only $10-$20 more.
m
l
!