Sign in with
Your question

Screen goes black when switching into / out of fullscreen

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 23, 2010 4:57:22 PM

Everytime I boot up my computer, everything shows at first, the bios screen and everything, but then when windows boots up and my desktop is suppose to be displayed, the monitor stays black for anywhere from 5 seconds to 2 minutes, completely random. But things are still going on in the background, and the light on the monitor is always blue (Which means its getting a signal and isn't in power saving). This also happens when switching into full screen for most games, with the exception of Mafia II and Assassin's Creed II. I called IBuyPower (The people I got this computer from) and ask them about it, first suggested that it was my graphics card and told me to re-install the drivers, didn't work. Then wanted me to send them this one so they could send me a new one. So before I do that, I'd rather see if it can be fixed without actually replacing it. The following are the specs, and this computer is maybe 3 weeks old at the most...

Case(CoolerMaster HAF 932 Full Tower Gaming Case - Black)

Processor(Intel® Core™ i7 950 Processor (4x 3.06GHz/8MB L3 Cache))

Motherboard([SLI] Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 w/ 2x Gb LAN, 4x PCI-E 2.0 x16)

Memory(6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-2000 - Corsair or Major Brand)

Video Card(NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 - 1.5GB - Single Card)

Power Supply(1000 Watt -- CoolerMaster RSA00-AMBAJ3-US)

Processor Cooling(Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1366] - Enermax Dual Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow))

Primary Hard Drive(1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive)

2nd Optical Drive(24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black)

Optical Drive(24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black)

Sound Card(3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard)

Speaker System(iBUYPOWER 2.1 Channel Stereo Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System)

Network Card(Intel Pro 10/100/1000 Network Card)

Monitor(24" LED 1920x1080 -- MAG GML2427 (23.6" Viewable))

Keyboard(iBUYPOWER USB Keyboard - Black)

Mouse(iBUYPOWER Internet Mouse)

Operating System(Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit)

Warranty(Standard Warranty Service - Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support)

Flash Media Reader / Writer(12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Black)

Motherboard USB / SATA Interface(Motherboard default USB / SATA Interface)
December 24, 2010 3:33:14 AM

Yes it does, but was only able to test the problem with windows starting up, not able to open any of the games that cause the problem while in Safe Mode. I probably won't be able to post/reply again till 6:30 - 7:30 pm EST tomorrow, and then not until the day after Christmas
m
l
December 25, 2010 8:32:51 PM

Forgot to mention, I never had this happen w/ my old monitor (Used it for 1 day when I first got the computer since the new monitor was sent separate) going to try to hook up my old monitor sometime soon and see if its the monitor and not the card
m
l
Related resources
!