Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading Office PC

Last response: in Systems
February 25, 2011 10:03:31 AM

I currently have 5 Office PC's I desperatley need to upgrade. Their current spec is as follows:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Abit KN9 NF-CK804 Motherboard
512mb DDR2 800mhz Corsair Ram
WD Caviar Blue WD1600JS 160Gb SATA
Nvidia 7300LE
Antec 350w Power Supply
Windows XP Professional 32bit

The computers are used mainly for Sage Line 50 and Microsoft Office Outlook 2007and are connected to a local server via cable.

I am looking to upgrade with the following parts:

AMD Athlon II X3 450
ASUS M4A78LT-M LE Motheroard
4Gb DDR3 1333mhz Generic Ram (I understand I am running a 32bit OS and I won't get all of the 4Gb)

The main problem I have is can I just plug the old HD in and install the new drivers without losing any data? I really don't want to be installing a fresh copy of Windows on each PC.

Thanx in advance.

More about : upgrading office

a c 122 B Homebuilt system
February 25, 2011 11:48:51 AM

Maybe, but probably not. And you should do a fresh install if the systems are that old anyway.

February 25, 2011 1:17:52 PM

For what you are running on those computers, the only thing you would want to upgrade is the RAM, get the 4 gig of RAM, will be enough. Make sure you don't have crap running at start-up.
Related resources
February 25, 2011 1:46:28 PM

Thankyou for your responses. After I posted this thread I did a bit of searching online (should have done so before posting really). I am aware that there would have been compatability issues with drivers and the like and would require a fresh install of OS which I'm not prepared to do. I came to the conclusion that the systems are in dire need of more RAM. I have ordered 2Gb for each machine with the option of purchasing more if need be. I'll asses the situation in the near future and will more than likely upgrade the whole system with new PC's and server.

Thankyou once again.
February 25, 2011 1:58:00 PM

Actually if you ordered RAM for only 4 of the machines, you can take out the 512 sticks from them, and use them to upgrade the 5th computer to 2 gig. That motherboard probably has 4 RAM slots.
!