Saved OC profile?

noidis

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
While running my rig on this less than a month old MSI P67A-GD65... I've run into a strange problem.

It seems that randomly my mobo goes through an odd amount of reboots... And ends up in a state I didn't leave it in.

Let me use an example.

I get my system running with an OC of 4.5Ghz at 1.310Vcore. After saving the OC profile, I proceed to start the process of moving higher... After changing my settings and successfully booting into windows... I find my settings haven't changed. My new 46 multiplier is suddenly down to the old old old 40 I'd set it at, and my Vcore is lower as well...

So I restart and check, and sure enough in the bios the settings are suddenly 40 multiplier with 1.310 Vcore and my memory timings set back to their original 1600MHz instead of my testing numbers of 800MHz.

Upon checking my OC profiles (I mean why not just load the old settings right?) I find that the profile is no longer saved... ?_?

So once again I proceed through the steps to OC... And a random amount of reboots later, it seems that my system will 'Hop' back to where they were originally! My OC profile will be listed in the correct spot, named and everything... And the settings will stay this way!

It's driving me CRAZY. I also suspect occasionally the multiple restarts (Without ever getting to the bios) is a symptom of this loss of whatever info I had saved.

I'm sorry this post is so god awful long, but seriously I am at a complete loss as to what's wrong here. From researching what I can I've seen it might be the battery? But even then, if the battery was bad on this rather new mobo wouldn't the settings be gone forever and revert to defaults instead of this quantum leap BS?

So any thoughts on what the hell is wrong with this would be appreciated.

Additionally I have two computers... And one of them I don't really mess with the bios often. Could it be a permanent solution (And safe I should say) to switch this mobo with the other PC's Asus P8P67 Pro? I don't know whats different between these two mobo's.. So info on that would be appreciated... And also I've never actually swapped a processor... Is it as simple as removing my i7 and my i5 and switching them?

Thanks, this forum has been a life saver thus far. Hopefully this headache will be cured as well =S

simonjphillips

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
The only thing I can think of you have already thought of and that is the CMOS. Did you try a full clear with the pins and removing the battery and then start trying your OC?

I have a post up already about the P8Z67 not remembering BIOS settings as soon as power is removed from the board.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
What comes to mind is that your system is restarting because your OC isn't 100 percent stable and crashes, and perhaps your BIOS auto resets it to the original non OC state for safety after an overclock related crash.

Starting Windows isn't a stable OC, run it through Prime95 testing and see if it remains stable under full load.

noidis

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Hmm I have yet to remove the battery. I'll have to try that next I suppose.

As for stability, I do run Prime95 and IBT to ensure stability. It's why the random resets are so confusing to me. Though they only generally happen while I'm changing settings... So I suppose a crash and reset is definitely possible.

But if it were defaulting to factory, why is it restoring to an older OC? Surely it'd go back to the factory defaults no?