Sign in with
Your question

Acer aspire 5735 wireless adapter

Last response: in Wireless Networking
October 7, 2010 8:01:39 PM

Hello,
I've been trying to fix my friends laptop for about a week now.. he has various virus's/trojans and the performance of his laptop in general was poor. I decided to wipe it clean and reinstall the os, the only prblem is that he didnt have the vista cd from acer so i found a dell vista business edition and installed that (i managed to activated too) everything is absolutely perfect except the wireless network adapter doesnt seem to exist. It previously worked fine and since ive wiped it there is no sign of it installed on the system. Almost sure it was a broadcom adapter, i've downloaded every driver available for the make/model of the laptop but still no joy... i even updated the BIOS with a acer bios update file but nothing has changed. There is no sign of it in the device manager either!
The other thing is when i right click on my computer and open properties to view system info its saying the pc manufacturer is Dell but thats obviously due to the dell os disk i installed. I presume thats why the network adapter cannot be found either??
Any help is much appreciated, thanks
October 8, 2010 6:17:12 AM

whitzer22 said:
Hello,
I've been trying to fix my friends laptop for about a week now.. he has various virus's/trojans and the performance of his laptop in general was poor. I decided to wipe it clean and reinstall the os, the only prblem is that he didnt have the vista cd from acer so i found a dell vista business edition and installed that (i managed to activated too) everything is absolutely perfect except the wireless network adapter doesnt seem to exist. It previously worked fine and since ive wiped it there is no sign of it installed on the system. Almost sure it was a broadcom adapter, i've downloaded every driver available for the make/model of the laptop but still no joy... i even updated the BIOS with a acer bios update file but nothing has changed. There is no sign of it in the device manager either!
The other thing is when i right click on my computer and open properties to view system info its saying the pc manufacturer is Dell but thats obviously due to the dell os disk i installed. I presume thats why the network adapter cannot be found either??
Any help is much appreciated, thanks

[#0005ff]If even teh BIOS can't see it, it seems you need a wireless USB dongle to work around the problem. I'm amazed the Dell disk worked as I would have thought the first thing it would do is establish its looking at Dell hardware. Have you changed the Product Key back to the original from the casing? If not, I fear your friend might be seeing a "not genuine" message after the next WGA update comes around. [/#000ff]
October 8, 2010 3:36:34 PM

Ye i have been trying different methods to try get the laptop to recognise it but no joy, i'd say my best bet it to just get a usb adapter. I was very surprised as well when it installed fully, i just tried it because i didnt really have much to lose as the laptop was in bad condition already. Every other peice of hardware is working fine with the right driver installed. I used a peice of software to activate vista and i just wont run any updates so it stays active.
Thanks for the reply anyway
!