Question about cooling

acer0169

Distinguished
Most AMD boxed CPU's I've bought come with a little white packet of thermal compound, but you want to be getting some better stuff anyway. It's only a few quid to buy some MX-4 or AS5 which are a good bit better than the stock stuff that comes with coolers.

Buy some better paste just in case.

4745454b

Titan
As a retail package it should come with a thermal pad already on the heatsink. As acer noted its not the best of stuff, but you can use it if you want. If your staying with the stock heatsink you might as well use it.

acer0169

Distinguished
Ahh yes there is that, if you're using the stock heatsink then we're assuming you're not overclocking or working the machine too hard, so the default paste will be fine.

I can buy thermal paste at trade cost, so I always have a nice stock of MX-4 which is my fav - very good stuff.

omnisome

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
Well the computer's not for me and I haven't built in some time, and I couldn't remember.
Thanks for the replies, my mom will be playing BC2, Bf2, and maybe Bf3 at 1024x768@60Hz

Overclocking won't be necessary...

acer0169

Distinguished
I'll look forward to sniping her on BC2 then ;).

Even at a small res, I'd suggest something a little more than stock cooling on a machine that will be playing games.

omnisome

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010

I've been playing BC2 on a Regor 240 with fully stock cooling since December and have had very few problems.

Thanks everyone, you can close the thread now. :)

acer0169, I have just noted that I've only 1 more post than you. What a coincidence.

acer0169

Distinguished

Strange, because it seems we actually have the same post count. ;)

omnisome

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010

No, I have one more, see.
lol
Let's lock the thread now, thanks again everyone.