Is this CPU dead? My first home built computer - no RAM in, no beep

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • RAM
  • Computers
Last response: in CPUs
May 27, 2011 10:12:14 AM

Hi there everybody :) 

This is my first self-built computer so i am a bit of a beginner, please bare with me.

I have all the components for my computer except the RAM, that is coming next week. Tonight i decided to build my computer without the RAM to test if everything is okay -- i boot it, the DVD drive works, both fans spinning, motherboard lighting up with one green light above the panel connectors and a red light next to the MemOK! button. However, there is no beep despite the RAM being absent. Also no output to monitor; but i'm not sure if i should expect that without RAM.

Does this mean that the CPU is dead? The HSF is running so it would not have burnt out. Or am i just being a little scared, and should wait for the RAM before making such assumptions?

My build

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition 3.2ghz
MOBO: ASUS M4A88TD-M EVO3
PSU: Aywun A1-650E 650W (650w peak, yup i know :p )
CASE: Antec 300
HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F3 HD103SJ 32MB 1TB
DVD/RD: Lite-On iHAS524

More about : cpu dead home built computer ram beep

Best solution

a c 172 à CPUs
May 27, 2011 11:08:47 AM

With no RAM, you should get some kind of a beep pattern telling you that you have no memory installed.

The Antec cases do not include a system (case) speaker and I am pretty sure that one is not built into that motherboard.

You need a case speaker - $2 or $3 at your local computer store or $0 if salvaged from an old case.

Then, if you still get silence, your suspects, in most likely order are PSU, motherboard, then CPU.

You do not need drives to successfully POST (the single short beep).

Any PSU with a "peak power" rating is not worth buying.
May 27, 2011 11:13:02 AM

Thanks for the answer. Ah that would make a lot of sense if there is no motherboard speaker. I was reading around that with no RAM the bios will not boot - is this false? People seem to have confirmed it by removing the RAM and receiving no response.

The PSU will last me for the next few months i think, at least until i buy the 560ti.

Thanks again for your response!
m
l
Related resources
May 27, 2011 6:21:32 PM

you are not supposed to get any display output without ram.... dont worry... just wait for your ram...hopefully everything will be just fine
m
l
May 27, 2011 10:25:31 PM

in_core said:
you are not supposed to get any display output without ram.... dont worry... just wait for your ram...hopefully everything will be just fine

I'm aware, the issue is with no beeping
m
l
May 27, 2011 10:35:07 PM

Best answer selected by olliepop.
m
l
!