After compatibility, wtf else matters?

oldezwe

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
I've been researching for sometime now, and pretty much know what to look for when it comes to all parts of the computer... except for the motherboard.

I am sitting on newegg and have whittled down my specifications to the correct memory standard(DDR3 1333) and socket type(AM3) for the ram and processor I plan on purchasing...

I have also ruled out the Micro ATX forms...

I now see a price range from $49.99 to $187.99.

*The motherboards all have 1 or 2 PCI-Express 2.0 slots(I only ever plan on putting one GPU into this motherboard)
*They all have 2600MHz FSB (although I do not know what this means?)
*They all support 16gb or 32gb of ram(I never plan on using more than 8)
etc...
...as I go down the line it seems that all of the specs are identical or are just a difference in the quantity of the same type of port.

Are the drastic differences in prices caused by these specifications only?

aka.
Is there some hidden speed i should know about that will have an affect on my gaming experience?

scottiemedic

Distinguished
Usually has to do with what internal and external ports they have, the quality of capacitors/chokes/etc, heatsinks on the north and southbridges, power phasing (more=better for OCing), company name/support, and things like you already said, how much RAM, PCI-e slots and the such.

I'd look at what components you have now and whittle it down more. Do you have a PS2 KB/mouse and need a PS2 port? Does it have 2 or 4 RAM slots (for upgradeability), PCI (regular PCI) slots for internal cards like wifi or TV tuners you already own or want and need a slot for, and things like that. Otherwise you'll end up with a nice board and have to rebuy other components or do without certain components that don't 'fit' what you currently have/want.

Hope that helps...