migkillertwo

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Hello there. I am planning on doing a major upgrade to my system in anticipation of the slew of video games that we will see this fall (Crysis 2, Battlefield 3, whatever Call of Duty gives us). I originally planned to upgrade only once these games came out because I'm not too sure I even need the upgrade, and if I do the price of the parts that I need will inevitably fall by then.

However, an opportunity I dont want to explain has arisen, and I can only upgrade these parts now.

So, Right now my computer consists of

-Intel core 2 duo E8400

-4GB of DDR2-800

Gigabyte G31-ES2L

and I wanted to upgrade to:

-Biostar A770E3 AM3

-AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition

-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM

So I have a few questions

1: Is that a decent motherboard? it has what I think I need, multi-core support, DDR3, PCI-E 2.0. What else should I look for?

2: Is there any feature that the Phenom Black edition has over the regular 3.2Ghz Phenom x4 doesn't have besides the unlocked multiplier? I ask because I've never overclocked my hardware for the sake of longevity.

^+1
1) that is a budget motherboard but is fine if it has all the features you need.
2) Only the higher Clock speed over other Phenom II 9xx CPU's 8xx series have less L3 Cache and there is a new one out with no L3 (basically an Athlon II in disguise).

amirp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Bro this "upgrade" makes no sense at all with the i5 2500K out...
save a little more money and get any of the sandy bridge processors
The best being the i5 2500K which overclocks ridiculously well and has similar gaming performance to the 980x (intels $1000 cpu)

Don't waste any money on this in my opinion

Ive updated myself on prices, and you'd end up having to pay around $150 more for a sandy bridge i5-2500k system, but if you can afford that much, in my opinion the speed, and much better longevity of the system will be worth it.

Also if you are going with intel , the updated sandy bridge mother boards haven't arrived yet, but I think they should be here in less then a couple of weeks

Yep having built with the AM2+ Biostars for clients from '08 that board would be fine for stock/light OC but if TS nabs that Microcenter deal :D

Correct PhenomII X4 840 is a 3.2ghz Propus really

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I completely agree with amirp. Upgrading your PC to last generation hardware is pointless. You'll just have to upgrade again even sooner. If I were you, the i5 2500k or the i3 2100 would be my best bet for your budget. Intel's Sandy Bridge lineup is a good 3 generations ahead of the Phenom II lineup. Don't go AMD till they release Bulldozer, since you're just throwing your money away.

amirp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
You really should wait until you can afford the next generation then,
your upgrade isnt much of an upgrade, and saving an extra $150 will get you the i5-2500K build, which is incomparable to the amd build.

Wait a month for the new motherboards to be in stock, and by then maybe youll save up some money, itll be worth it for sure

the computer will last much longer

migkillertwo

Distinguished
May 17, 2010

The only way to save up the 150$ is to forgo a Desktop for a couple months.

amirp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
still worth it because the one you have now can easily last a couple months longer, youll have new mobo's out, and the i5 2500k is so much better than the phenom II build that it will certainly last longer

also , if you are buying a new gpu as well, you could buy that now if you want, and wait until you can afford the rest. You will see that your cpu right now is enough to run games smoothly for now at good enough settings on a ~$200 graphic card like a gtx 460 or 6870 or something...