New CoM Guide

Hi All,

I've been recently trying to learn to play the CoM and while the stuff
was still fresh in my mind I thought to convert it in to a manual.

I'd appreaciate all comments,especially from the more experienced CoM
players.

The guide's at: http://www.furfur.demon.co.uk/geop/com/com_guide.htm

Hopefully it's adequate to beginners and quick reference to the
skilled.

- Skies
10 answers Last reply
More about guide

    With regard to taxation, it's the same rate on ships as bases, except
    that on ships they are always happy, and that on bases, half the taxes
    go immedately to the galatic bank while on ships, all taxes stay on the
    ship.

    At least one wing onboard the Virgo must also have at least 10 fighters
    for the minefield immunity

    Unless the Virgo is intercepting or escorting something, I'd avoid use
    of the LSD code. LSP avoids wasting fuel needelessly

    CoM fighters aren't merely among the best in the universe, they ARE the
    best in combat. (Rebel fighters are a close second)

    The Cobol generates the fuel by moving and also that fuel is credited
    after the end of movement, so keep a fuel reserve on hand.

    CoM fighters aren't merely among the best in the universe, they ARE the

    best in combat. (Rebel fighters are a close second)

    I respectfully disagree. In an effectiveness per mc comparison,
    Solorian Type II are THE premier combat fighters. Hands-above the
    rest.

    Now, if we take into consideration the move rates, then CoM and Reb
    have the best fighters in the universe, but not best in combat.

    Pretty good. This will be a good quick reference for those who wish to
    play the CoM for the first time.

    Thanks for the work.

    For mine field immunity the size of the wing doesn't matter at this
    time. Wing size can be less then 10 fighters.

    david_bandy@hotmail.com wrote:
    > CoM fighters aren't merely among the best in the universe, they ARE
    the

    > best in combat. (Rebel fighters are a close second)
    >
    > I respectfully disagree. In an effectiveness per mc comparison,
    > Solorian Type II are THE premier combat fighters. Hands-above the
    > rest.

    They are not and neither are the Com fighter, and that neither under
    the old combat logic nor under the new combat logic. Eventhough I guess
    it will take a while until you will realize whose fighters now are the
    best, as a little hint the Cent fighters aren't the best under the new
    combat logic.
    And am I the only one wondering why Stormer fighter are not mentioned
    as best fighters, under the new combat logic?

    > Now, if we take into consideration the move rates, then CoM and Reb
    > have the best fighters in the universe, but not best in combat.

    Always neglating special abilities, like immunity to laser minehits of
    the Poppy (RCS T3). The Com and Reb fighters are the fastest that is
    all.

    Gabor Törö wrote:
    > Oh, yes there are so funny behaviors of ships and wings as well to
    examined:

    Yes, quiet amusing and then I am waiting for an even more amusing new
    host version (with maybe a new 'improved' combat logic).

    > Wings, which move a few ticks and then stand still,

    Well why should a wing move if its target is already in range.
    And then do you wonder if a few different combat settings change
    anything (and/ or under which circumstances)?

    > Cubes which passing one time
    > the whole combat area and then move almost not
    > anymore

    They did not by chance fly through the middle of the vcr?
    And then it is probably a resurfacing of a never gone feature of ships
    and wings, now mainly only affecting ships...

    > while being blasted by very long ranged fighters in stationary wings
    > at same costs
    > while adding other fighter types let them move again but now they
    getting
    > blasted by the TLs, and so on.

    Lol.

    > Detailed knowledge about how your and opponent's objects will behave
    in combat
    > is again very superior.

    And after some of you did realize how the objects do behave, it will
    become pretty obvious which ships/fighters are now overkill and quiet
    unbalancing.
    But of course their is another way...

    > But unfortunately time is
    > limited.

    Well most likely not the time of the 'new improved combat logic'.

    And have I already mentioned that I have no real intentions to help
    anymore, then I have already done, until a new host version is out.

    Oh, yes there are so funny behaviors of ships and wings as well to examined:

    Wings, which move a few ticks and then stand still, Cubes which passing one time the whole combat area and then move almost not
    anymore while being blasted by very long ranged fighters in stationary wings at same costs
    while adding other fighter types let them move again but now they getting blasted by the TLs, and so on.

    Detailed knowledge about how your and opponent's objects will behave in combat is again very superior. But unfortunately time is
    limited.

    GFM GToeroe

    "Nameless" <unknown_ai@web.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1116510337.954408.47970@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
    > david_bandy@hotmail.com wrote:
    > > CoM fighters aren't merely among the best in the universe, they ARE
    > the
    > >
    > > best in combat. (Rebel fighters are a close second)
    > >
    > > I respectfully disagree. In an effectiveness per mc comparison,
    > > Solorian Type II are THE premier combat fighters. Hands-above the
    > > rest.
    >
    > They are not and neither are the Com fighter, and that neither under
    > the old combat logic nor under the new combat logic. Eventhough I guess
    > it will take a while until you will realize whose fighters now are the
    > best, as a little hint the Cent fighters aren't the best under the new
    > combat logic.
    > And am I the only one wondering why Stormer fighter are not mentioned
    > as best fighters, under the new combat logic?
    >
    > > Now, if we take into consideration the move rates, then CoM and Reb
    > > have the best fighters in the universe, but not best in combat.
    >
    > Always neglating special abilities, like immunity to laser minehits of
    > the Poppy (RCS T3). The Com and Reb fighters are the fastest that is
    > all.

    12 wings with 10 Voltar G knock out a Cube with 15PPC5SC20PL10TL with 3000 shield, full armor, Transwarps and 800er generators at
    same costs. Much more combat effective are (9/0/1) Bird wings but they aren't as mobile as (0/0/10) wings

    (10/0/0) of the Bots or the Evil Empire manage it, too
    (9/0/1) and (0/0/10) of the Coalition manage it, too
    (7/1/2) of the Rebels, which you should know very well, manage it too ;)

    The factors are either a brute supremacy of number or range or the possibility or a fine adjustment of the use of longer ranged
    good missiles.

    But so far I haven't find a CoM wing design, which manage it. Can you provide an example of CoM wings which manage the same at
    same costs?

    GFM GToeroe

    <joncnunn@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1116426229.008934.9860@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    > With regard to taxation, it's the same rate on ships as bases, except
    > that on ships they are always happy, and that on bases, half the taxes
    > go immedately to the galatic bank while on ships, all taxes stay on the
    > ship.
    >
    > At least one wing onboard the Virgo must also have at least 10 fighters
    > for the minefield immunity
    >
    > Unless the Virgo is intercepting or escorting something, I'd avoid use
    > of the LSD code. LSP avoids wasting fuel needelessly
    >
    > CoM fighters aren't merely among the best in the universe, they ARE the
    > best in combat. (Rebel fighters are a close second)
    >
    > The Cobol generates the fuel by moving and also that fuel is credited
    > after the end of movement, so keep a fuel reserve on hand.

    Well Dave, fill two Pulsars with 10 (40/0/10) wings and amuse about these 10 wings eat the mentioned Cube at same costs within
    the first 100 ticks after the second wave time. I doubt that the Pulsars really have a chance to fight rightly against the Cube
    because it will vanish too fastly. Question: Did you manage this with Solorian type 2 wings?

    Of course one has to look if sandcaster immunity is active or not. I think then the sheet will change a bit.
    The current host has increase the total sum of distances between objects in combat for every tick. This gives good long ranged
    fighter especially their missiles enough time to shot at their targets out of range of anti fighter weapons and anti fighter
    fighter. And if one could manage the holodecoy problem PTTs and Coalition Plasma Bolts should also get benefits from that and
    also weapons with longer charge time like BCs, and do on. It's very annoying to have to rethink totally about the weapon and wing
    desgins again.

    GFM GToeroe

    BTW: If I remember right then these Sol wings are also very good against fighters, at least Rebel wings look very old against
    them at same costs.

    <david_bandy@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1116437202.623834.261810@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
    > CoM fighters aren't merely among the best in the universe, they ARE the
    >
    > best in combat. (Rebel fighters are a close second)
    >
    > I respectfully disagree. In an effectiveness per mc comparison,
    > Solorian Type II are THE premier combat fighters. Hands-above the
    > rest.
    >
    > Now, if we take into consideration the move rates, then CoM and Reb
    > have the best fighters in the universe, but not best in combat.

  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Big thanks for the comments to you all. Will need to add some of them,
    soon. My point was to make a quick reference manual, so that seems to
    have been achieved?

    Some of it is in second glance a bit sloppily (is it a word?) written
    so I'll get to that, too.

    Skies

Games Video Games