Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New CoM Guide

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 6:35:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

Hi All,

I've been recently trying to learn to play the CoM and while the stuff
was still fresh in my mind I thought to convert it in to a manual.

I'd appreaciate all comments,especially from the more experienced CoM
players.

The guide's at: http://www.furfur.demon.co.uk/geop/com/com_guide.htm


Hopefully it's adequate to beginners and quick reference to the
skilled.


- Skies

More about : guide

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 11:23:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

With regard to taxation, it's the same rate on ships as bases, except
that on ships they are always happy, and that on bases, half the taxes
go immedately to the galatic bank while on ships, all taxes stay on the
ship.

At least one wing onboard the Virgo must also have at least 10 fighters
for the minefield immunity

Unless the Virgo is intercepting or escorting something, I'd avoid use
of the LSD code. LSP avoids wasting fuel needelessly

CoM fighters aren't merely among the best in the universe, they ARE the
best in combat. (Rebel fighters are a close second)

The Cobol generates the fuel by moving and also that fuel is credited
after the end of movement, so keep a fuel reserve on hand.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 2:26:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

CoM fighters aren't merely among the best in the universe, they ARE the

best in combat. (Rebel fighters are a close second)

I respectfully disagree. In an effectiveness per mc comparison,
Solorian Type II are THE premier combat fighters. Hands-above the
rest.

Now, if we take into consideration the move rates, then CoM and Reb
have the best fighters in the universe, but not best in combat.
Related resources
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 3:46:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

Pretty good. This will be a good quick reference for those who wish to
play the CoM for the first time.

Thanks for the work.
May 19, 2005 8:06:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

For mine field immunity the size of the wing doesn't matter at this
time. Wing size can be less then 10 fighters.
May 19, 2005 10:45:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

david_bandy@hotmail.com wrote:
> CoM fighters aren't merely among the best in the universe, they ARE
the
>
> best in combat. (Rebel fighters are a close second)
>
> I respectfully disagree. In an effectiveness per mc comparison,
> Solorian Type II are THE premier combat fighters. Hands-above the
> rest.

They are not and neither are the Com fighter, and that neither under
the old combat logic nor under the new combat logic. Eventhough I guess
it will take a while until you will realize whose fighters now are the
best, as a little hint the Cent fighters aren't the best under the new
combat logic.
And am I the only one wondering why Stormer fighter are not mentioned
as best fighters, under the new combat logic?

> Now, if we take into consideration the move rates, then CoM and Reb
> have the best fighters in the universe, but not best in combat.

Always neglating special abilities, like immunity to laser minehits of
the Poppy (RCS T3). The Com and Reb fighters are the fastest that is
all.
May 19, 2005 4:52:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

Gabor Törö wrote:
> Oh, yes there are so funny behaviors of ships and wings as well to
examined:

Yes, quiet amusing and then I am waiting for an even more amusing new
host version (with maybe a new 'improved' combat logic).

> Wings, which move a few ticks and then stand still,

Well why should a wing move if its target is already in range.
And then do you wonder if a few different combat settings change
anything (and/ or under which circumstances)?

> Cubes which passing one time
> the whole combat area and then move almost not
> anymore

They did not by chance fly through the middle of the vcr?
And then it is probably a resurfacing of a never gone feature of ships
and wings, now mainly only affecting ships...


> while being blasted by very long ranged fighters in stationary wings
> at same costs
> while adding other fighter types let them move again but now they
getting
> blasted by the TLs, and so on.

Lol.

> Detailed knowledge about how your and opponent's objects will behave
in combat
> is again very superior.

And after some of you did realize how the objects do behave, it will
become pretty obvious which ships/fighters are now overkill and quiet
unbalancing.
But of course their is another way...

> But unfortunately time is
> limited.
>

Well most likely not the time of the 'new improved combat logic'.

And have I already mentioned that I have no real intentions to help
anymore, then I have already done, until a new host version is out.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 11:47:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

Oh, yes there are so funny behaviors of ships and wings as well to examined:

Wings, which move a few ticks and then stand still, Cubes which passing one time the whole combat area and then move almost not
anymore while being blasted by very long ranged fighters in stationary wings at same costs
while adding other fighter types let them move again but now they getting blasted by the TLs, and so on.

Detailed knowledge about how your and opponent's objects will behave in combat is again very superior. But unfortunately time is
limited.

GFM GToeroe

"Nameless" <unknown_ai@web.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1116510337.954408.47970@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> david_bandy@hotmail.com wrote:
> > CoM fighters aren't merely among the best in the universe, they ARE
> the
> >
> > best in combat. (Rebel fighters are a close second)
> >
> > I respectfully disagree. In an effectiveness per mc comparison,
> > Solorian Type II are THE premier combat fighters. Hands-above the
> > rest.
>
> They are not and neither are the Com fighter, and that neither under
> the old combat logic nor under the new combat logic. Eventhough I guess
> it will take a while until you will realize whose fighters now are the
> best, as a little hint the Cent fighters aren't the best under the new
> combat logic.
> And am I the only one wondering why Stormer fighter are not mentioned
> as best fighters, under the new combat logic?
>
> > Now, if we take into consideration the move rates, then CoM and Reb
> > have the best fighters in the universe, but not best in combat.
>
> Always neglating special abilities, like immunity to laser minehits of
> the Poppy (RCS T3). The Com and Reb fighters are the fastest that is
> all.
>
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 1:32:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

12 wings with 10 Voltar G knock out a Cube with 15PPC5SC20PL10TL with 3000 shield, full armor, Transwarps and 800er generators at
same costs. Much more combat effective are (9/0/1) Bird wings but they aren't as mobile as (0/0/10) wings

(10/0/0) of the Bots or the Evil Empire manage it, too
(9/0/1) and (0/0/10) of the Coalition manage it, too
(7/1/2) of the Rebels, which you should know very well, manage it too ;) 

The factors are either a brute supremacy of number or range or the possibility or a fine adjustment of the use of longer ranged
good missiles.

But so far I haven't find a CoM wing design, which manage it. Can you provide an example of CoM wings which manage the same at
same costs?

GFM GToeroe

<joncnunn@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1116426229.008934.9860@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> With regard to taxation, it's the same rate on ships as bases, except
> that on ships they are always happy, and that on bases, half the taxes
> go immedately to the galatic bank while on ships, all taxes stay on the
> ship.
>
> At least one wing onboard the Virgo must also have at least 10 fighters
> for the minefield immunity
>
> Unless the Virgo is intercepting or escorting something, I'd avoid use
> of the LSD code. LSP avoids wasting fuel needelessly
>
> CoM fighters aren't merely among the best in the universe, they ARE the
> best in combat. (Rebel fighters are a close second)
>
> The Cobol generates the fuel by moving and also that fuel is credited
> after the end of movement, so keep a fuel reserve on hand.
>
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 2:42:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

Well Dave, fill two Pulsars with 10 (40/0/10) wings and amuse about these 10 wings eat the mentioned Cube at same costs within
the first 100 ticks after the second wave time. I doubt that the Pulsars really have a chance to fight rightly against the Cube
because it will vanish too fastly. Question: Did you manage this with Solorian type 2 wings?

Of course one has to look if sandcaster immunity is active or not. I think then the sheet will change a bit.
The current host has increase the total sum of distances between objects in combat for every tick. This gives good long ranged
fighter especially their missiles enough time to shot at their targets out of range of anti fighter weapons and anti fighter
fighter. And if one could manage the holodecoy problem PTTs and Coalition Plasma Bolts should also get benefits from that and
also weapons with longer charge time like BCs, and do on. It's very annoying to have to rethink totally about the weapon and wing
desgins again.

GFM GToeroe

BTW: If I remember right then these Sol wings are also very good against fighters, at least Rebel wings look very old against
them at same costs.




<david_bandy@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1116437202.623834.261810@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> CoM fighters aren't merely among the best in the universe, they ARE the
>
> best in combat. (Rebel fighters are a close second)
>
> I respectfully disagree. In an effectiveness per mc comparison,
> Solorian Type II are THE premier combat fighters. Hands-above the
> rest.
>
> Now, if we take into consideration the move rates, then CoM and Reb
> have the best fighters in the universe, but not best in combat.
>
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 1:28:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

Big thanks for the comments to you all. Will need to add some of them,
soon. My point was to make a quick reference manual, so that seems to
have been achieved?

Some of it is in second glance a bit sloppily (is it a word?) written
so I'll get to that, too.

Skies
!