Motherboard Socket damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

bertrob

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
Hi there.

I'm running a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 and while installing my heat-sink to my cpu I accident knocked off 4 pins (not sure what to call them) located on the back of the motherboard where the cpu socket is. My computer is still running without issues but I am unsure if this could cause problems in the future or if these pins(?) are irrelevant.

Thanks for any help.

Solution

Presuming that components usually aren't installed if they serve no purpose, I'd get them soldered back on. On the other hand, your CPU may not require the specific voltage that they provide (presuming they are diodes).

bertrob

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
Thanks for the replies.

Here is what i'm talking about

pinsw.png

bertrob

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
That picture is actually from the web (don't have camera), but those are the exact things I have knocked off, yeah. Computer is still running without fault but would it be wise to solder 4 back on?

Presuming that components usually aren't installed if they serve no purpose, I'd get them soldered back on. On the other hand, your CPU may not require the specific voltage that they provide (presuming they are diodes).

Solution

robustus64

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Humm lol id say you better leave it alone . If it dies then you may try but u risk dmg to the cpu if you do something wrong meaning after u reinstall if you did something wrong my fry cpu imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.