Sign in with
Your question
Closed

HDMI Full Screen Videos Cause Computer Crash...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 24, 2010 3:13:44 AM

Hi,

I've got a HP Pavilion dv6 with an AMD PhenomII N930 Quad Core Processor & ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 graphics card.

When I connect the computer to my Samsung LED TV (UN40B7000WFXZA LED) with an HDMI cable , everything works great until I play a video in full screen. As soon as I do, the computer crashes and I get a gray static looking screen and have to restart my computer. This only happens when the computer is hooked up to the t.v and is a major pain in the ass!

Does anyone know what could be causing this problem?

Any help would be appreciated!!!
December 24, 2010 4:01:41 AM

Try a different HDMI cable.
Score
December 24, 2010 6:34:02 AM

When you connect your TV through HDMI, check and adjust through ATI CCC the resolution so that it matches that of the TV screen before you play any video file.

What ATI CCC version are you on ?

If the above does not help, you may try uninstalling the ATI drivers, cleaning up ATI entries manually in registry, removing the ATI gfx card in Device Manager and reinstalling the drivers ATI CCC10.12. If still there is no resolution to your problem, then you may have to increase 2D clock speeds.

Let me tell what I have observed for my Sapphire Radeon HD5770.

Radeon HD5xxx series gfx cards have very low idle core/memory clock speeds, 157/300 MHz. When you want to play a video full screen, the gfx card tries to increase the core/memory clock speeds to something like 400/900 MHz to be able to play the video. During the process, the gfx card may stutter and fall down on what is technically called TDR ( Timeout Detection and Recovery ). In some instances, the gfx card recovers from TDR. In some instances, it cannot recover and gives you what you describe as a gray static looking screen.

If you have CCC 10.11 or 10.12, you can increase idle clocks from 157/300 to 400/900 MHz. This can be done with creating a profile and manually modifying the profile file. This may give you a peace of mind.
Score
Related resources
February 24, 2012 8:14:48 AM

This is happening with new video cards. The provider will not fix this, becous its an old problem, and any fixing would alou to instal Win XP on the NEW PC which is made specialy for Win 7. Provider hawe agrement with Microsoft to not suport Win XP anymore. It is the only problem runing Win XP on my PC. Win crash if video acselerat in fool screan mode. While making this for Win Xp, they hawe not solwed this for newer Win OS versions. Like i told-when they will fix it for Win7, we will be run Win XP on any PC
Score
February 24, 2012 12:46:30 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!