Sign in with
Your question

NEW SYSTEM UP

Last response: in Systems
February 25, 2011 9:36:25 PM

Hi all,
I received all my HW and put together my new system, here's a run down of what I've got ,some peripherals not included.
ANTEC 902V3 CASE
AMD 955 BE X4 3.2
ASUS M4A87TD EVO MOTHERBOARD
GSKILL RIPJAWS X SERIES DDR3 1600 8GB
ZOTAC GTX 460 1GB 256BIT
OCZ AGILITY 2 60 GB SYSTEM
SAMSUNG SPINPOINT F3 1 TB DATA
ZALMAN 9500A CPU COOLER
NZXT SENTRY2 FAN CONTROLLER
XFX BE 750W POWER SUPPLY
ASUS VH236H 23" 2ms HDMI MONITOR
WIN7PRO 64BIT
PROBLEMS DURING SETUP
- GSKILL RAM detected at 1333 in bios at initial install. I researched this before setup so it was expected and I was prepared for it, thats a first. changed CPU host bus to 240 which ocs the memory to 1600.FIXED
-OCZ AGILITY SSD was detected as IDE drive in BIOS. I went through OS install with this setting, after OS install I found that SSD performs better on AHCI setting,set to AHCI in BIOS, next boot BSOD...researched and found since drive was installed as
"IDE", AHCI drivers weren't avail to support this setting so I had to modify registry which would install AHCI drivers on a reboot.FIXED
QUESTIONS-
WEI SCORES-With the given HW are these scores acceptable, any areas of concern? I did notice that the CPU score was at 6.9 when I first ran the test. I also looked at my processor which had 3 cores unlocked not the fourth it had. I manually unlocked the core in the bios, reran the test and the score went to 7.3 after that. I wonder what the reason is for the fourth core being locked out of the box, and by unlocking it am I opening up a can of worms????
Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor 7.3 7.3
Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB 7.5
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 7.5
Gaming graphics 4095 MB Total available graphics memory 7.5
Primary hard disk 24GB Free (51GB Total) 7.7
-In general is it best to OC as needed or just try to get the most performance right of the box?
This system will be used for gaming, mostly blizzard titles. Emulators, and general day to day stuff.....

I'm sure I'll have more questions moving forward and I appreciate all your help up front. Thanks for taking a look!

More about : system

February 25, 2011 10:03:04 PM

Aztrocreep said:
-OCZ AGILITY SSD was detected as IDE drive in BIOS. I went through OS install with this setting, after OS install I found that SSD performs better on AHCI setting,set to AHCI in BIOS, next boot BSOD...researched and found since drive was installed as
"IDE", AHCI drivers weren't avail to support this setting so I had to modify registry which would install AHCI drivers on a reboot.FIXED
Nice work.
Got a link to that procedure or a description of how to do it? That question comes up over and over.
m
l
February 25, 2011 10:10:49 PM

It's really weird that the 4th core was locked to start with but you shouldn't see any problems, all your wei scores are great
m
l
Related resources
February 25, 2011 10:11:47 PM

Having a locked core on a X4 955 BE isn't something I'd heard of happening before.
Just because it's so unusual give AMD tech support a call and see what they say.
I'm sure we'd all be curious to know what they say.

Top score in WEI is 7.9 as far as I know. And it's pretty much only good for bragging rights.
But it does seem to show you have a nicely balanced system. Everything within a few tenths of each other. That's a nice result.

Overclocking is something that's a bonus, and not as big a factor in overall performance as it might seem.
I prefer to run the system for a week or so at stock and do testing and benchmarking to make sure it's stable.
Then do any overclocking, test and benchmark again to see if you got the performance boost you hoped.
m
l
February 25, 2011 10:14:49 PM

You might want to hop over into the CPU & Components section of the forum and post that issue with the CPU. Choose a topic to reflect what happened.
You might find someone there who has seen or heard about that happening.
m
l
February 25, 2011 10:18:17 PM

WR2 said:
You might want to hop over into the CPU & Components section of the forum and post that issue with the CPU. Choose a topic to reflect what happened.
You might find someone there who has seen or heard about that happening.

Will do I appreciate the help
m
l
February 25, 2011 10:24:30 PM

WR2 said:
Having a locked core on a X4 955 BE isn't something I'd heard of happening before.
Just because it's so unusual give AMD tech support a call and see what they say.
I'm sure we'd all be curious to know what they say.

Top score in WEI is 7.9 as far as I know. And it's pretty much only good for bragging rights.
But it does seem to show you have a nicely balanced system. Everything within a few tenths of each other. That's a nice result.

Overclocking is something that's a bonus, and not as big a factor in overall performance as it might seem.
I prefer to run the system for a week or so at stock and do testing and benchmarking to make sure it's stable.
Then do any overclocking, test and benchmark again to see if you got the performance boost you hoped.

Balance is more important to me than bragging rights,what tools do you use for doing load testing and benchmarking?thanks
m
l
February 25, 2011 10:33:16 PM

I like HWMonitor32 for checking system temps.
Prime95 and MemTest86 for load testing along with FurMark for a GPU stress test.
3DMark Vantage for benchmark comparison
Gaming is also a good overall test and informal benchmarking procedure.
m
l
!