RAM Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajay_raj1988

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
Hey Fellas

I have 2Gb DDR2 RAM (400Mhz) from Dynet & i wanna upgrade my RAM further to 2Gb more i.e 2+2=4Gb

So which of the following is possible/compatible:

1. 2Gb DDR2 RAM (400Mhz) from Dynet + 2Gb DDR2 RAM (400Mhz) from Dynet

2. 2Gb DDR2 RAM (400Mhz) from Dynet + 2Gb DDR2 RAM (800Mhz) from Dynet

3. 2Gb DDR2 RAM (400Mhz) from Dynet + 2Gb DDR2 RAM (400Mhz) from Transcend/Crossair

4. 2Gb DDR2 RAM (400Mhz) from Dynet + 2Gb DDR2 RAM (800Mhz) from Transcend/Crossair

5. Leave Dynet & buy both new RAMs

If multiple are possible which option should i go for. Also suggest some RAMs.

My Mobo (DG31 PR) supports 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM DIMM socket. DDR2 800 or DDR2 667 DIMM

Solution
The MHz of the memory is not the only thing that you have to match, the voltage as well as the latency have to be comparable as well.

When mixing memory modules, you have to set them up with the lowest denominator.
So you would have to run the new modules at 400 MHz as well, plus make sure that voltage is safe for both types and set the latency to match the "worst" performance modules.

Edit: Geek was a bit faster on the keyboard than me, and said the same so there you go ;)

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
The MHz of the memory is not the only thing that you have to match, the voltage as well as the latency have to be comparable as well.

When mixing memory modules, you have to set them up with the lowest denominator.
So you would have to run the new modules at 400 MHz as well, plus make sure that voltage is safe for both types and set the latency to match the "worst" performance modules.

Edit: Geek was a bit faster on the keyboard than me, and said the same so there you go ;)

Solution

What are the voltages? And rest of the specs?

Its always better if u post the link with RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.