Urgent upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.

siper121

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Hi everyone,

i have a very important question as i am going to buy RAM and cooler today, so need feedback ASAP plz
my computer spec. :

MB Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P
RAM 2GB x 2 MUSHKIN RAM bus 1600
Graphics ATI Radion 4870 Vapor X
CPU AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2 GHz 8.0 GB Cache
HD 1 TB WD Black
PS OCZ 600W

first i have a problem with my RAM as the max it can read is 1333 Bus memory when make it on 1600 i get a blue screen while playing

Second i need to buy a cooler for CPU what is best and is there any cooler that support the space for 4 RAM slots, as i tryed the cooler master V6G it cover a slot of RAM

Third need to add RAM if i added 4 GB Ram in 1 slot will it cancel the dual channel mode ( 4GB + 2GB + 2 GB ), and if yeas will it differ so much ?

Solution

quickmana

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
If you're going to be gaming I would ditch the 4 GB module and play in dual channel with your 2x2GB modules. Most games don't need more than 4 GB of ram.

This also allows you to use your CPU cooler. Just let it block a slot, and use the other (same color) slots for your 2x2GB modules.

If you insist on buying new ram, you only need 8 GB for gaming. Just buy 2x4GB modules at 1600 speed and you'll be happy.

siper121

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
actually all games are perfect in max setting, but i just got The Witcher II game graphics is on Ultra and the game is lagging a bit, thats why i wanted to increase RAM

siper121

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Thanks Guys for your help, i was wondering if there are any good cooler that does not cover a RAM slot, if i bought 2 RAM 4GB + 4GB so the total will be ( 2GB + 2GB + 4GB + 4GB ) will that be dual channel ?

First - When you make the RAM run at 1600, depending on the motherboard, you'll need to adjust the latency timings manually. Also, some RAM modules have a higher voltage requirement to run at higher speeds, so this may need to be adjusted as well. Usually these voltage requirements are on the sticker that's on the RAM module itself (may even be under a heat spreader. What kind of RAM are you using?

Second - That is tough. I can't believe AMD creates chipset designs and specs including the inability to use the after-market cooler of your choice baked in. Someone should be fired for that nonsense. Turn the CPU socket North/South like the Intels and you don't have this issue. Jeez! Ok done ranting. Concerning the cooler... This is one case where an H50, H60, or H70 would make sense. They don't require all the real estate directly around the processor. Otherwise, they are barely better than most lower end after-market air coolers, while costing double to quadruple the price. They are a little better than stock though. Because of that motherboard design, one of these would be your best bet.

Third - You need an even number of RAM modules on that board to run dual-channel. It will make a difference because you cut your RAM's bandwidth in half by running single channel. This would cancel any reason you'd add more RAM. A good guideline to follow is from page 16 of your motherboard's manual:

When enabling Dual Channel mode with two or four memory modules, it is recommended that
memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used and installed in the same
colored DDR3 sockets for optimum performance.

I'd say don't add RAM if you're only adding one module to what you already have. If you want more RAM, I'd say grab two more modules that are the same model you already have installed.

Solution

siper121

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Thanx all for your help.

by the way i tried to change timing and voltage of the RAM and every time i get a new error, sometimes i get a blue screen while playing and sometimes the games just stop and a pop up message game failure.

i tried many times but with no use

Status
Not open for further replies.