Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GTX 295, No audio over DVI to HDMI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 24, 2010 7:12:24 AM

This is driving me bonkers. I can't for the life of me get the audio to pass over the DVI dongle and through the HDMI cable to my TV. I've installed the internal SPDIF cable to the motherboard correctly. I've googled so much it's ridiculous. No one has seemed to find out how you enable the audio to go through the card even though it says it's supported. I have a GTX 295 by MSI, EVGA 3x classified, Win7 x64 connected to my samsung HDTV. It was connected to my monitor and I wasn't using the speakers on there, just through the back jack to some regular small PC speakers. I want to use this as my HTPC but I'm having such an issue with this that I'm beginning to wonder about my options.

More about : gtx 295 audio dvi hdmi

a c 145 Î Nvidia
December 24, 2010 12:53:19 PM

Maybe it is the dongle that does not support sound.
December 24, 2010 3:05:45 PM

Well, it's the dongle that came with it and it says to use that one in order to connect it with sound and it says NVIDIA on it. So, I'm guessing that it's not the wrong one. But I do have an extra of everything and I will check the connections and reattack.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 330 Î Nvidia
December 24, 2010 3:12:30 PM

I don't know if this sheds any light, but it is from a review of the GTX 580:

"What is also good to mention is that HDMI audio has finally been solved. The stupid S/PDIF cable to connect a card to an audio codec, to retrieve sound over HDMI is gone. That also entails that NVIDIA is not bound to two channel LPCM or 5.1 channel DD/DTS for audio."
December 24, 2010 9:30:44 PM

17seconds said:
I don't know if this sheds any light, but it is from a review of the GTX 580:

"What is also good to mention is that HDMI audio has finally been solved. The stupid S/PDIF cable to connect a card to an audio codec, to retrieve sound over HDMI is gone. That also entails that NVIDIA is not bound to two channel LPCM or 5.1 channel DD/DTS for audio."

Awesome. Thanks [sarcasm]

On another note I've checked the wires and also replaced the SPIDF board connector cable and switched my other GTX 295 into the primary slot to rule out a bad connector on the other card.

Still, there's nothing. What I need is for someone who knows how to setup a...well setup like this.
December 25, 2010 3:02:41 AM

I use a similar set up, (it works on mine.) Bottom line is the audio can only be put to one device at a time in windows 7 (using x64 ult myself.) I have to go into sound properties and select the SPDIF MB as output and sacrifice my rear panel SPDIF output. The hdmi carries sound/HD to my home theatre for some gaming/windows media center etc.
When I get back to regular computing I have to switch the sound output back to my local digital speakers using the sound properties window.
December 25, 2010 3:18:18 AM

elkein said:
I use a similar set up, (it works on mine.) Bottom line is the audio can only be put to one device at a time in windows 7 (using x64 ult myself.) I have to go into sound properties and select the SPDIF MB as output and sacrifice my rear panel SPDIF output. The hdmi carries sound/HD to my home theatre for some gaming/windows media center etc.
When I get back to regular computing I have to switch the sound output back to my local digital speakers using the sound properties window.

I thought that maybe I was already doing that but just so I can verify how you do it could post a procedure of what you do and where you go? I finally after playing around got some sound bouncing through on the sound meter but there's still no sound coming through my speakers. I'm using Win7 x64 ultimate as well. Could you explain which one is the on that is your MB SPDIF? I see the same as what it would be if my internal connector weren't connected. By the way what card are you using?

Best solution

December 25, 2010 5:15:21 AM

ImmortalJman said:
I thought that maybe I was already doing that but just so I can verify how you do it could post a procedure of what you do and where you go? I finally after playing around got some sound bouncing through on the sound meter but there's still no sound coming through my speakers. I'm using Win7 x64 ultimate as well. Could you explain which one is the on that is your MB SPDIF? I see the same as what it would be if my internal connector weren't connected. By the way what card are you using?

Can do, but later, at work now... (government worker go figure I'm on Tom's)
MB SPDIF= the output directly from the motherboard inside, in my setup, I use a two wire jumper to to my 9800gtx+ sli cards.
December 26, 2010 8:10:33 AM

Indeed the link you found has the pertinent info.
Now I just wish I had wider 5.1 sound support over the spdif connection...
They just really want me to buy one of their news cards that comes with a proper audio driver. My wife will never notice me tinkering in my PC case on the video cards again, right?. :o 
December 28, 2010 3:41:51 PM

Best answer selected by ImmortalJman.
!