Help with a new CAD card

DillerandScoff

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010
Hello,

Does anyone have any advice on which would be the best upgrade? I use for Revit, 3ds Max and Photoshop.

I say those two just because they seem to be the same price - it's a student budget. Most of what I've read seems to advise against gaming cards, I was looking at the HD 5770 though.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Quadro, as I don't think I'd need to upgrade my PSU, and for cuda. But I'm a newb! The benchmark scores seem to be much lower, is that relevant for these programs?

It's for a dell 580, with an i3 530, 4gb ram, and integrated graphics, with a 300w psu. Maybe it'll be limited by the cpu anyway? I could get a cheap card instead..?

Quite a few questions I guess. Sorry. Be nice to hear from anyone though!

The 300 watt PSU is a big limiter. But w/o a screen resolution and budget, it's hard to give advice. For CAD, CS5 you definitely want CUDA. Whether you get the Quadro or a GeForce card depends on the relative usage .... the cards are very similar with most of the performance difference being driver related.

DillerandScoff

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010
Thanks for that JackNaylorPE. About usage, I only really use CAD (mostly 3D) - Revit, 3ds max etc. and photoshop CS5. I don't use it to game at all.

The monitor's 1920 x 1080, and I'm trying not to spend more than £150 - I thought the quadro 600 would mean I wouldn't need a new PSU. I'm not sure though - do you think I'll need to upgrade anyway? I was looking at a 430W Corsair for £37.

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/-/3328/2595/-/16686768/Corsair-CMPSU-430CX-430W-PSU-Power-Supply/Product.html?ob=4&cpage=6

Thanks for your help - and Happy Christmas!