Toshiba Satellite hard drive disappears after sleep

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
March 29, 2005 11:41:26 PM

I have a friend's Toshiba Satillite 2805-S301. If the laptop goes
into sleep mode, and when I try to wake it, it displays a message,
ROOT DIRECTORY DELETED. And sure enough it won't boot. After booting
from a floppy, the C: drive is not specified. I get the <Invalid
drive specification> when trying to switch to it.

If the laptop is shutdown normally, it boots fine.

Of course, I plan to disable the sleep mode, but is there anything
else that could cause this?

Thanks
David
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 30, 2005 5:53:06 AM

Hi David... The only thing I can think of right now is to check if
Toshiba has a newer BIOS update for that machine. By the way, what OS is
on this machine? Also if hibernation mode can be enabled, what happens
then?

Cheers!

Bill (using a HP AMD 1.2GHZ & Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within Word 2000

Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:41:26 -0600
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 30, 2005 10:32:59 PM

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 01:53:06 GMT, "BillW50" <BillW50@aol.kom> wrote:

>Hi David... The only thing I can think of right now is to check if
>Toshiba has a newer BIOS update for that machine. By the way, what OS is
>on this machine? Also if hibernation mode can be enabled, what happens
>then?

Ha... I don't know yet. She didn't have the recovery disk in the
case. But on the bottom of the case, it says WinME.

I looked at BIOS changes on the website, but not many changes since
2001. I d/l just in case. I never have been lucky with flashing
BIOS. I've managed to do this twice over the years, and trashed two
BIOS.

Will the recovery CD setup the HD also?

I thought the HD might be bad, but I can feel it vibrate a little when
I press the power button. Not a foolproof method, but if it runs,
it's usually good. (Famous last words!)
!