Artifacts

donsangha

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010
That kind of thing generally would mean the GPU chip is on teh way out or running too hot. As ageneral rule of thumb, Big blocks like that are down to teh actual GPU chip and tiny dots tend to be the cards memory.

Mactronix :)

donsangha

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010
Thanks mate. How would you reccomend cooling it down other than pointing an external fan at it because I don't think the card is faulty. Could it be the display I am using?

Do you know what the temps on the card are ? You can use GPUZ to find out, its a free download. If you click on the Sensors tab when you run it you will get a read out of the temperature.
Options are switching the cards fan to manual, there is a box to tick in the CCC under ATI Overdrive, and setting it to run at a set speed or you could use an Overclocking utility such as Afterburner to set a profile for the fan. You don't have to Overclock it to use it.
Usual profile would be 40 degrees 40% 50-50% etc. Check temps and adjust as needed.
Blowing a desk fan at it sounds extreme but its effective as a last resort.

donsangha

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010

Well, when I put my ati 4890 in the pci express slot and use the 2 6 pin power connectors the card powers on and the fan runs quickly. It produces these lines on boot up an before I can login it blacks out. If I go into safe mode with onboard disabled I get those large thick white lines but I can login. I have tried all of these programs with the ati card and onboard card enabled to see if my pc is picking up the card and it does not seem to be as it is not on the device page. Ati catalyst once installed tells me to restart my pc but then does not carry on an install and neither of afterburner or msi pick my ard up either. I have tried to install drivers when the card is unplugged but to n effect. As you can see I'm a noob but help would be much appreciated

That dosent sound very good at all im afraid. really you need to get hold of a differant card to check and see it everything else is working ok. It does look like your card is kaput but without checking its difficult to say for sure. Can you RMA it ? you said its nearly new.