Sign in with
Your question

Hardware novice looking for first ground up.

Last response: in Systems
February 26, 2011 2:37:00 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: Today, Monday

Budget Range: 500+- 100

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Now, light application programming via visual studio.net, eclipse, gradually growing to more robust programming incl. all of CS5 video editing, 3D animation, and sound/music editing including pro tools.

Parts Not Required: computer only, I can make the output and input upgrades as I go, but would like to account for future midi input, multiple monitor HD 1080p output, and advanced sound card future upgrade.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:newegg, microcenter, amazon, any U.S. source web or local incl. CL, e-bay, used etc...

Country of Origin: Los Estados Unidos.

Parts Preferences: I think I would like to start with AMD X4
PHENOM II X4 840 Boxed Processor HDX840WFGMBOX , price is right, and seems like the socket type is more standard for future upgrades than anything else.

Overclocking: For what? I am not sure I have a great grasp on the implications of overclocking.

SLI or Crossfire: Yes, would eventually need multiple HD GPU's

Monitor Resolution: eventually 1920x1200, may not start there, but will end up there within 2 years.

Additional Comments: quiet would be nice, starting out basic is key while keeping the ability to upgrade to professional production level. Will need support for future 16+g RAM while only needing 4 for now.

I am not a proven, tried hardware guy (yet) but am very hands on, not afraid to learn, jack something up, re-do it until it's right, start over from scratch, or basically all of the things I am going to have to do to learn how to build my monster media producing PC. I have never done much more than memory upgrades and basic hardware upgrades, but I'm not afraid to bite off a big chunk of something I want to learn. Thanks to everyone who cares to kick me some advice.

Dave
grassguydave@gmail.com

More about : hardware novice ground

February 26, 2011 3:13:02 AM

grassguydave said:

Parts Preferences: I think I would like to start with AMD X4
PHENOM II X4 840 Boxed Processor HDX840WFGMBOX , price is right, and seems like the socket type is more standard for future upgrades than anything else.
For years this was true about upgrades. This is the year it's not.
Future AMD CPUs will need socket AM3+ motherboards. You'd be able to move your X4 840 CPU into an AM3+ board but not move an AM3+ CPU into your AM3 motherboard.
Your options for upgrade would be among the CPUs currently out like X4 975 / X6 1090T / X6 1100T.
What that means is that a future CPU upgrade will also involve a motherboard change as well.

m
l
February 26, 2011 4:03:32 AM
Related resources
February 26, 2011 8:08:26 AM

With Video editting and more CPU intensive tasks on the table i would concentrate on getting as fast a chip and at least 8GB RAM in there for best results so since u stated Microcenter as an option

1090T +Gigabyte 880G $235
http://www.microcenter.com/specials/promotions/AMDbundl...

Items off Egg $203

$438

The idea of leveraging on GPU/Mercury playback engine down the road would be a function of your project size ^^ However the above 'nest' is sturdy enuff and would have no issues accommodating a GTX 560 in future

A case for GPU computing: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 and the Mercury Playback Engine
http://tech.icrontic.com/articles/reviews/a-case-for-gp...
Quote:
This project consists of compressed 640×480 video footage. These small video files were being eaten alive by the massive 1090T hexa-core processor and 8GB of RAM. Premiere Pro CS5′s increased performance with multi-core systems coupled with bleeding fast hardware will make fast work of any simple projects such as this, not giving the GPU enough work to really make a difference. These results do suggest that if you’re editing small-time video footage, you will not benefit much from using Mercury Playback.

m
l
March 5, 2011 4:26:30 AM

Thanks folks! I ended up buying a phenom x2 560 processor, an MSI 760GM-E51 motherboard, 8gigs of ram, one nvida 9800GTX video card, a cheap WD 500 gig 3gbps SATA hard drive (I will add 1tb HD soon).

550 watt power supply, and the black steel case. It seems faster than any computer I have ever run before, and manipulates some lightweight graphics with no slowdown whatsoever! We will see what happens when I start doing some HD flash stuff this weekend! Thanks to everyone who advised me! I am hooked.

Dave.
m
l
March 5, 2011 9:59:14 AM

Not quite what i would slap up but gratz and enjoy your new toys :p 
m
l
!