Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Computers
  • Processors
  • Socket
Last response: in CPUs
May 27, 2011 7:06:30 PM

Hey,

I'm trying to upgrade my computer as much as I can. I bought my computer from a pawn shop with the intention of using it to

play Everquest II. Well, it hasn't worked out, at all. From the answers I got on the Graphics Card section, I've come to the

conclusion that I must upgrade my processor. My processor is Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.67Ghz. I read the CPU Buyer's Guide

on this forum, and it seems my socket is listed as EOL. I was under the impression my processor was roughly relevent to today's

technology, I guess I'm mistaken. Is there a better processor for my socket, or has my socket already been declared obsolete?

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

More about : upgrade cpu lga 775 socket

a b à CPUs
May 27, 2011 7:17:09 PM

That's a 2 year old but still a powerful processor.
What about your graphics card?
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2011 7:41:48 PM

are you trying to run it on high detail?

ive just been looking at requirements and it only requires a 1ghz proccesor
and directx9 graphics card

is it the online one we are talking about

it could allways be your internet conection if it is
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2011 8:37:48 PM

Quote:
it could allways be your internet conection if it is

I'd say its your internet as well. Core 2 Quads are still very powerful, and I'd expect your GPU to be as well
m
l
May 27, 2011 9:19:22 PM

What??? i dont think ur processor isnt bad! i mean the processor should not be the main factor here!! if you mentioned correctly! everquest II is a 2004 Game! Am i Correct?? what about your GFX card? and what is your internet speed?
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2011 9:40:31 PM

I think we suggested you a hd5670 in the GPU department, but your CPU is still strong. I think it's Internet.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2011 10:25:27 PM

TK61951 said:
Hey,

I'm trying to upgrade my computer as much as I can. I bought my computer from a pawn shop with the intention of using it to

play Everquest II. Well, it hasn't worked out, at all. From the answers I got on the Graphics Card section, I've come to the

conclusion that I must upgrade my processor. My processor is Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.67Ghz. I read the CPU Buyer's Guide

on this forum, and it seems my socket is listed as EOL. I was under the impression my processor was roughly relevent to today's

technology, I guess I'm mistaken. Is there a better processor for my socket, or has my socket already been declared obsolete?

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Not sure how you came to that conclusion. Yes there are much faster cpu's available but they are expensive because that socket has been discontinued for years. But the cpu is still capable of decent gaming.

You just need a new video card.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2011 10:56:57 PM

geekapproved said:
Not sure how you came to that conclusion. Yes there are much faster cpu's available but they are expensive because that socket has been discontinued for years. But the cpu is still capable of decent gaming.

You just need a new video card.

I think he has a hd5670 and that should work just fine for that game.
m
l
May 27, 2011 11:29:21 PM

the only better cpu for your socket would be the q9650 or greater but yours should still be able to run everquest II without a problem.

like others have stated it could be your internet or your video card
m
l
May 27, 2011 11:34:04 PM

I came up with the conclusion due to that it's been stated a new graphics card won't help make load screens go faster.(the game

has one every 30 seconds it seems) I'm getting the HD 5770 to get better frame rate. My current GPU is the Nvidia GeForce G210

512MB. It's a junk card, in my opinion. I have 8 GB DDR3 RAM, so i'm good on

that. My friend had some kind of AMD processor, it was 2.8Ghz but he overclocked it to like 3.2Ghz and load screens were done in

about 5-7 seconds. Thats how I'd like to be able to play the game. Unfortunately for me, my computer is a gateway so I can't

overclock. Also, I read that Everquest II wasn't written for dual and quad core processors. So would single core be something to

consider?

Edit: forgot to mention Internet connection. It's a Realtek 802.11n LAN PCI 54Mbps wireless network card so I dont think it's my internet connection.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 27, 2011 11:34:51 PM

its not your cpu dude there is no way a quad core CPU can't handle that game. like other said check your net connection or could be you need a better GPU but i doubt that
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 28, 2011 12:10:19 AM

The game wouldn't screw up running a quad even if it was meant for a single, it would just utilize one core. I have no Idea why it is running slow, maybe a virus?
m
l
May 28, 2011 4:00:53 AM

you said it takes forever to load. one thing that will help loads faster is the hard drive. hmmmmm.........
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 28, 2011 4:08:30 AM

^+1
m
l
a c 136 à CPUs
May 28, 2011 11:44:13 AM

Bet the thing has never had a bios update to fix cpu errata coding.
m
l
May 28, 2011 6:53:16 PM

Alright, so it's not my cpu. Just hope the new GPU fixes everything. As for the hard drive, mine's a 750GB, my friend only had a

500GB, so I didn't even consider it as a factor for slow loads. I'm unsure whether bigger hard drives load data faster, or are you

suggesting I switch to SSD? When I brought my computer home it had tons of viruses and errors, but I've completely cleaned it.

There's nothing malicious on my system. How would I go about doing a bios update? Don't know if it will fix it, but figure it

couldn't hurt. Thanks for the help. :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2011 12:00:51 AM

TK61951 said:
Alright, so it's not my cpu. Just hope the new GPU fixes everything. As for the hard drive, mine's a 750GB, my friend only had a

500GB, so I didn't even consider it as a factor for slow loads. I'm unsure whether bigger hard drives load data faster, or are you

suggesting I switch to SSD? When I brought my computer home it had tons of viruses and errors, but I've completely cleaned it.

There's nothing malicious on my system. How would I go about doing a bios update? Don't know if it will fix it, but figure it

couldn't hurt. Thanks for the help. :) 

It's not the size that makes it fast, it's other things. Can you link your drive?
m
l
May 30, 2011 4:44:18 AM

How many RPM is the hard drive? Cause if it's under 7200 then that will be why.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2011 5:23:42 AM

Nigelfrost said:
How many RPM is the hard drive? Cause if it's under 7200 then that will be why.

Yeah, 7200RPM or higher is at least what you want for performance.
m
l
May 30, 2011 7:43:21 AM

i think its your graphics card and your internet connection. . . try GTX 470 (^^,
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2011 5:19:45 PM

panet_29 said:
i think its your graphics card and your internet connection. . . try GTX 470 (^^,

GTX 470??????? Dude, that game is from 2004! A GTX 470 wouldn't even have half the card utilized!
m
l
May 30, 2011 7:32:43 PM

I can't think how to link my hard drive (having a brain fart), but I know for a fact that its 7200RPM.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 30, 2011 7:47:40 PM

TK61951 said:
I can't think how to link my hard drive (having a brain fart), but I know for a fact that its 7200RPM.

Copy and paste the URL. It should work. The RPM isn't the only thing though.
m
l
May 31, 2011 6:16:49 AM

HostileDonut said:
GTX 470??????? Dude, that game is from 2004! A GTX 470 wouldn't even have half the card utilized!

yuph....that game is from 2004 and that GTX 470 would not use 1/4 of its power....but since he's planning to upgrade why would he/she buy lower versions of GPU's...and aslo that GTX 460 can handle games for another 2 yirs(^^,

m
l
a b à CPUs
May 31, 2011 6:20:13 AM

panet_29 said:
yuph....that game is from 2004 and that GTX 470 would not use 1/4 of its power....but since he's planning to upgrade why would he/she buy lower versions of GPU's...and aslo that GTX 460 can handle games for another 2 yirs(^^,

The GTX 470 is a waste of money no matter what. It's overpriced, runs hot, and power consumption is high. Grab a hd6870 then.
m
l