TK61951

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
Hey,

I'm trying to upgrade my computer as much as I can. I bought my computer from a pawn shop with the intention of using it to

play Everquest II. Well, it hasn't worked out, at all. From the answers I got on the Graphics Card section, I've come to the

conclusion that I must upgrade my processor. My processor is Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.67Ghz. I read the CPU Buyer's Guide

on this forum, and it seems my socket is listed as EOL. I was under the impression my processor was roughly relevent to today's

technology, I guess I'm mistaken. Is there a better processor for my socket, or has my socket already been declared obsolete?

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
are you trying to run it on high detail?

ive just been looking at requirements and it only requires a 1ghz proccesor
and directx9 graphics card

is it the online one we are talking about

it could allways be your internet conection if it is

san_sa_rocky

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
What??? i dont think ur processor isnt bad! i mean the processor should not be the main factor here!! if you mentioned correctly! everquest II is a 2004 Game! Am i Correct?? what about your GFX card? and what is your internet speed?

Not sure how you came to that conclusion. Yes there are much faster cpu's available but they are expensive because that socket has been discontinued for years. But the cpu is still capable of decent gaming.

You just need a new video card.

I think he has a hd5670 and that should work just fine for that game.

TK61951

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
I came up with the conclusion due to that it's been stated a new graphics card won't help make load screens go faster.(the game

has one every 30 seconds it seems) I'm getting the HD 5770 to get better frame rate. My current GPU is the Nvidia GeForce G210

512MB. It's a junk card, in my opinion. I have 8 GB DDR3 RAM, so i'm good on

that. My friend had some kind of AMD processor, it was 2.8Ghz but he overclocked it to like 3.2Ghz and load screens were done in

about 5-7 seconds. Thats how I'd like to be able to play the game. Unfortunately for me, my computer is a gateway so I can't

overclock. Also, I read that Everquest II wasn't written for dual and quad core processors. So would single core be something to

consider?

Edit: forgot to mention Internet connection. It's a Realtek 802.11n LAN PCI 54Mbps wireless network card so I dont think it's my internet connection.

TK61951

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
Alright, so it's not my cpu. Just hope the new GPU fixes everything. As for the hard drive, mine's a 750GB, my friend only had a

500GB, so I didn't even consider it as a factor for slow loads. I'm unsure whether bigger hard drives load data faster, or are you

suggesting I switch to SSD? When I brought my computer home it had tons of viruses and errors, but I've completely cleaned it.

There's nothing malicious on my system. How would I go about doing a bios update? Don't know if it will fix it, but figure it

couldn't hurt. Thanks for the help. :)

It's not the size that makes it fast, it's other things. Can you link your drive?

panet_29

Distinguished
May 28, 2011

yuph....that game is from 2004 and that GTX 470 would not use 1/4 of its power....but since he's planning to upgrade why would he/she buy lower versions of GPU's...and aslo that GTX 460 can handle games for another 2 yirs(^^,

The GTX 470 is a waste of money no matter what. It's overpriced, runs hot, and power consumption is high. Grab a hd6870 then.