Sign in with
Your question

Anyone ever use AMD's RMA process?

Last response: in CPUs
May 27, 2011 7:46:04 PM

So I asked a question here recently about a dead AMD CPU. I finally determined it was totally dead. And so did AMD's tech team after contacting them via email and waiting a day or so for the reply. They told me register my product for an RMA. Great, I went to do that.

NIGHTMARE BEGINS!

So I go to create an account with AMD. Fine and dandy lets do that. After going through 1 million password choices and it kicking it out every time. I write tech support again. Their response was something along these lines, send us what you want your username and password and well make it, our account creation is currently not working as intended. Again I waited a day or so for this info. So now my account is made lets move on and get this baby sent back right? Wrong.

In order to RMA a product it has to be registered. No biggie lets register this bad boy. It turns out that AMD's registration doesn't have the Phenom II x6 in the product registration selectable drop down box. That is right, its not there. The X2, x3, and X4 is there. But not the X6. So I contact tech support wait a few days. The response, "Thats correct sir, you need to send us via email your CPU Serial number, purchase date, and purchase location. You have to manually register via support your Phenom II x6." So I send the data to them waited a day, got the reply. "Your CPU is ready to RMA it has been fully registered with AMD and is in the 3-year PIB (processor in a box) warranty! Go back to our site to begin the RMA process."

My thought, FINALLY! However, I couldn't be more wrong.

In filling out for the RMA you have to specify what the system is, what went wrong, and what troubleshooting steps you took. I began trying to type in the box provided and hit enter to skip a line...it tried to goto a link. So no hitting enter in their text box. OK, so I copied the email I sent to their tech support and pasted it in the box, it worked, so I typed one more key so that the SAVE button would highlight. I saved it. So now there is two little check boxes at the bottom of the page that have to be checked or it wont let you continue the RMA process. One says that you have used AMD firefly tool....it says click the link to use the tool, when that is done it will highlight the checkmark. I click the link. THE LINK IS DEAD. Yes thats right on AMD's site, the link is dead. It takes me to some random page about TV satellite dishes and so on. So Im like well maybe it was a mistake, so I go back through using a different browser to test it, and the same result. So I was like, well maybe the terms of service agreement will just check them both who knows... terms of service link takes you to AMD's help and support page main page and again doesnt highlight the checkbox to continue the RMA.

So once again I am waiting on AMD's reply to their horrible RMA process. It has been over a week + weekend of contact with them and still havent even gotten clearance to RMA my cpu even though their tech support says to do just that.

This entire experience has me so upset I am almost to the point of not buying an AMD cpu ever again. What has your experience been and is it like this everytime? And does anyone know if Intel's RMA process is nearly this bad? Am I wrong for being driven out of my mind for this experience?

More about : amd rma process

a b à CPUs
May 27, 2011 7:51:05 PM

Preacher1985 said:
So I asked a question here recently about a dead AMD CPU. I finally determined it was totally dead. And so did AMD's tech team after contacting them via email and waiting a day or so for the reply. They told me register my product for an RMA. Great, I went to do that.

NIGHTMARE BEGINS!

So I go to create an account with AMD. Fine and dandy lets do that. After going through 1 million password choices and it kicking it out every time. I write tech support again. Their response was something along these lines, send us what you want your username and password and well make it, our account creation is currently not working as intended. Again I waited a day or so for this info. So now my account is made lets move on and get this baby sent back right? Wrong.

In order to RMA a product it has to be registered. No biggie lets register this bad boy. It turns out that AMD's registration doesn't have the Phenom II x6 in the product registration selectable drop down box. That is right, its not there. The X2, x3, and X4 is there. But not the X6. So I contact tech support wait a few days. The response, "Thats correct sir, you need to send us via email your CPU Serial number, purchase date, and purchase location. You have to manually register via support your Phenom II x6." So I send the data to them waited a day, got the reply. "Your CPU is ready to RMA it has been fully registered with AMD and is in the 3-year PIB (processor in a box) warranty! Go back to our site to begin the RMA process."

My thought, FINALLY! However, I couldn't be more wrong.

In filling out for the RMA you have to specify what the system is, what went wrong, and what troubleshooting steps you took. I began trying to type in the box provided and hit enter to skip a line...it tried to goto a link. So no hitting enter in their text box. OK, so I copied the email I sent to their tech support and pasted it in the box, it worked, so I typed one more key so that the SAVE button would highlight. I saved it. So now there is two little check boxes at the bottom of the page that have to be checked or it wont let you continue the RMA process. One says that you have used AMD firefly tool....it says click the link to use the tool, when that is done it will highlight the checkmark. I click the link. THE LINK IS DEAD. Yes thats right on AMD's site, the link is dead. It takes me to some random page about TV satellite dishes and so on. So Im like well maybe it was a mistake, so I go back through using a different browser to test it, and the same result. So I was like, well maybe the terms of service agreement will just check them both who knows... terms of service link takes you to AMD's help and support page main page and again doesnt highlight the checkbox to continue the RMA.

So once again I am waiting on AMD's reply to their horrible RMA process. It has been over a week + weekend of contact with them and still havent even gotten clearance to RMA my cpu even though their tech support says to do just that.

This entire experience has me so upset I am almost to the point of not buying an AMD cpu ever again. What has your experience been and is it like this everytime? And does anyone know if Intel's RMA process is nearly this bad? Am I wrong for being driven out of my mind for this experience?

As a former AMD reseller I would have to agree that AMD has dropped the ball on their support services. AMD used to be great at providing services which helped Grey/white box makers but this changed drastically once the K8 series became popular (AMD began to concentrate on the Server market and ignore the consumer market).

Intel, on the other hand, has a top notch Support service (as one would expect from such a reputable company). They treat you like a person rather than a number (nearly a white glove service).

That being said... AMD CPUs rarely rarely fail. Back in the Athlon Thunderbird and XP days the cores would often chip and crack but this has changed quite a bit since they began using heatspreaders with the K8 series.
m
l
May 27, 2011 7:55:32 PM

I have a few rigs with AMD and a few with Intel, and know personally a few friends with some of each. Some purchased for price points, some for power. And out of all of them, about 7 setups I have never had to ship a CPU back. Until now. So yes I agree with you that they dont fail often, but now that this one has. This is nuts.
m
l
Related resources
a c 84 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 28, 2011 8:42:54 AM

ive never had an AMD/ATI or Intel fail, even when seriously abused. Had a few things from nvidia fail.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 28, 2011 5:58:23 PM

I think with AMD the pins are located on the cpu which in turn has a higher risk of damage.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 28, 2011 6:01:20 PM

I have 4 PCs in my house every one of them is AMD, now ive had both AMD/INTEL, never had to RMA anything, but listening to this really does make me think twice about what i buy.
m
l
a c 126 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 28, 2011 8:48:38 PM

I have never personally had a CPU fail but I did have one fail at work. It was a E6600. The mobo just happened to catch on fire at the 8pin mobo power connector. The mobo fried for a bit, mostly the voltage regulators and such.

Well tested all the other parts and everything but the RAM was dead. Poor CPU probably got a huge surge of a few volts through it and melted all the transistors.
m
l
July 11, 2012 8:45:13 PM

Well, I have a dead CPU, and I just called them...it was alot easier but now I have to wait....ugh. Anyways I think I should get an award for having a dead CPU!
m
l
a c 141 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 11, 2012 10:38:55 PM

wait till they say you overclocked it and voided your warranty... LOL
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
July 11, 2012 10:53:10 PM

popatim said:
wait till they say you overclocked it and voided your warranty... LOL

I can imagine the OP going to the Grand Canyon screaming his lungs out :lol:  maybe even worse if that were to happen LOL...
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2012 3:44:27 AM

PFF AMD........ :pfff: 

A-another
M-major
D-dissapointment
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 10, 2012 3:38:49 PM

I just recently got an RMA with AMD for a cpu. I found their site to be very easy to use and they replaced my CPU no problem.
m
l
September 20, 2012 12:09:56 AM

Best answer selected by Preacher1985.
m
l
!