Can I fit a 6950 safely in my case?

D

Deleted member 244471

Howdy,
I have a 435mt that Dell gave me after providing 3 lemons in a row for a different order. It has a HD 3650 256MB as its graphics card. This computer has been good to me so far, but I want to install a better graphics card. I have already replaced the PSU with an Antec Earthwatts 650. Took some work, but I managed to get it in without issue. My concern now is: can I fit the card I want? Length isn't an issue. I'll take the HDDs out to provide space for length. I would like to buy a 6950 2GB, but the thickness of the card is a worry. I have my eye on Sapphire or XFX, but I know different manufacturers can use different coolers/cooler covers, so I have no preference of the manufacturer if it comes to that. I haven't used a new graphics card before so I don't know how thick the cooler really is on these 2 slot cards. I am posting pictures, so any help based on my pictures would be much appreciated. Thank you! :)

http://img40.imageshack.us/i/picture1qwf.jpg/
Some wires I'm concerned could get in the way. FYI the card in the picture still has an open slot beneath it, so in theory a 2 slot card could be fitted.
http://img696.imageshack.us/i/picture2jj.jpg/
http://img573.imageshack.us/i/picture3x.jpg/
http://img831.imageshack.us/i/picture4sw.jpg/
This picture has measuring tape so you can see the relative measurements for the photo.

Solution

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I may be a lucky one! My 435MT serves me well and never gave me any trouble! After putting in the new HD 6870 (I still use my 435MT computer case), it runs much faster with superb graphic results and quiet. I do have to use two 6-pin PCI-E cables; one...
Looking at your pictures then having a slot under neath the current card indicates that the card would fit. Here are the dimensions of a Diamond card that looks identical 10.7" x 4.5" x 1.5". Apart from having to remove the HDD my only other concern would be sufficient air gap for cooling with the fan sucking air in from the bottom of the case.

D

Deleted member 244471

Thanks for the info rolli59. Anybody have the same 435mt and a dual slot card installed? Any heat issues with it so close to the case?

Hi Fi Fan

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've just put in a Sapphire HD 6870 dual slot card in my 435MT last weekend. After the card installation, there's only about a half inch space left from the bottom of the computer case. I did worry about it initially. But later, I noticed that there's a 8" x 2" area with a lot of perforated holes on the computer cover right next to the graphic card area; that area allows exhaust air blown out of the computer immediately from the graphic card. So far, everything is running fine; it doesn't seem to have any heat issue.

D

Deleted member 244471

Any update on the computer's performance? Any issues? I'm considering transplanting to a new case, but can't seem to find anybody who has been 100% successful. Everyone mentions something about a power connector issue and the back I/O panel. Nobody seems to be able to find a case that works, or can describe how to connect the front connectors.

Hi Fi Fan

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I may be a lucky one! My 435MT serves me well and never gave me any trouble! After putting in the new HD 6870 (I still use my 435MT computer case), it runs much faster with superb graphic results and quiet. I do have to use two 6-pin PCI-E cables; one doesn't work. For details about my recent 435MT upgrade and installation instructions, you may read my Sapphire HD 6870 and Corsairs 750 HX product reviews at Amazon.com.

Solution