Last response: in Systems
February 26, 2011 9:01:21 AM

Hello,

I am thinking about putting together a new system:

• Approximate Purchase Date: in the upcoming days
  • Budget Range: 300 - 400 EURO
  • System Usage from Most to Least Important: fileserver, webserver
  • Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS
  • Preferred Website(s) for Parts: cheap, trustworthy ones that deliver to my doorstep in belgium
  • Country of Origin: Belgium
  • Parts Preferences: Intel Atom D525 CPU
  • Overclocking: No
  • SLI or Crossfire: No
  • Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024
  • Additional Comments: storage, noise and power usage are important

This system is ment to be a fileserver for my home network, a low traffic webserver and a download manager. 2 TB storage is enough for now, but that should be upgradable.

What I have in mind:

• CFI A7879 Mini-ITX NAS/Server Case - 4 Hot Swap Bays - 104.80 EURO
  • Intel® Desktop Board D525MW - 89.99 EURO
  • 2000GB 32MB SATA300 EcoGreen HD204UI Samsung Spinpoint F4 - 76.90 EURO
  • 2 x 2GB 1333Mhz DDR3 KINGSTON Value Series KVR1333D3N9/2G - 2 x 29.99 EURO

Total: 331.67 EURO

That case comes with a 200W Power Supply.

Would this setup work ? Any thoughts and/or recommendations are more than welcome.
    February 26, 2011 3:44:27 PM

Taking out for the HD you selected, that leaves me 325 euro or $447 US

This is $449 complete and already has a 2 TB drive so with the one you are adding, yu'd already have RAID 1
    NETGEAR RNDU2120-100NAS 2TB ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Home Media Server with iSCSI

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
    February 26, 2011 3:46:18 PM

you got the wrong Memory for this MOBO.

First the MOBO runs/accepts only 800MHz memory.
    Second you will need laptop memory.

have you looked at the new AMD like ASRock E350M1 AMD Dual-Core Zacate E350 APU? It will use/accept regular 1066MHz desktop memory. Also it has a PCIe slot

Related resources
    February 26, 2011 5:53:17 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
    Taking out for the HD you selected, that leaves me 325 euro or $447 US

This is $449 complete and already has a 2 TB drive so with the one you are adding, yu'd already have RAID 1
    NETGEAR RNDU2120-100NAS 2TB ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Home Media Server with iSCSI

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanx for the suggestion, but I want more than 2 drive bays and I am planning to build this myself; it's much more fun.
    February 26, 2011 6:29:40 PM

Emerald said:
    you got the wrong Memory for this MOBO.

First the MOBO runs/accepts only 800MHz memory.
    Second you will need laptop memory.

have you looked at the new AMD like ASRock E350M1 AMD Dual-Core Zacate E350 APU? It will use/accept regular 1066MHz desktop memory. Also it has a PCIe slot

You're right, thanks for noticing...I would be needing laptop memory; something like this: 2 x 2GB 800Mhz DDR2 Sodimm PREMIUM Valueram (120 EURO).

I checked out the ASROCK board you mentioned. It looks nice, but I prefer a fanless solution. The PCIe slot is an extra, but I have no use for it.

One of my concerns is if I would be getting enough performance to run a torrent client, a webserver, a small database and a mail client while serving files for my home network. Low power consumption is also really important, since it will be running 24/7. That's why I felt like going for an ATOM.
    February 26, 2011 9:01:42 PM

After reading some comments on my posts here and there, I stumbled onto a few interesting things.

Someone suggested to look into Super Micro boards (ex.: X7SPA-H-D525). They seem to have some really nice remote management and they have 6 sata ports onboard. Both very nice features, but they are expensive. In my case it's not the route I feel like taking. I don't need the remote management. The 6 sata ports I could use, but a pci card could help me out to get extra sata ports.

Then I started to look into Zacate. The benchmarks and reviews I found look promising. The mini itx Zacate boards also seem to have 4 or more sata ports onboard...again...I could use them. I'll have to take a closer look, but so far I found this: Asus E35M1-I DELUXE. I must say, It's new, it seems to have nice and usefull features; I like it so far. I hope I can find one in my price range.

thanks again for the directions.
    !