Sign in with
Your question

two lines across the screen

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
January 29, 2003 2:42:44 AM

i have bought a philips 109P flat screen crt

it has two thin wires about 1/4 of the way up and down the screen running horizontaly

these are supposed to be there as it said they were a part of the design of the monitor. (they keep somthing in line with the screen)

so my question is do other brand monitors have these lines across them????

does anyone have another brand that can see them on their screen???

More about : lines screen

January 29, 2003 6:54:47 AM

On Trinitron Tube there are 1-2 lines. those are wires that are there to absorb the energy the electrons produce as they hit the grill.

The bottom line is that it's on every Trinitron display
January 29, 2003 7:48:44 AM

this is what the manual said about it.

"your monitor is using an aperture grille tube, which consists of fine vertical wires to align the enectron beams with the phosphors on the screen. to prevent these vertical wires from vibrating and to keep them properly aligned with the picture tube, two horizontal damper wires are required....blah blah blah.... you will fond these wires in any monitor from philips and other brands using apeture grille technology"

so your trinatron would be using an apature grille technology as well??? (i presume)

and the vibration would be the energy they are absorbing

how many others of you have noticed these (its one of those things they don't tell you before you buy it)

i don't really find it a problem but it is very noticable!
Related resources
January 29, 2003 6:05:39 PM

Aperture Grill, AG, monitors have those lines. If you don't want the lines then you have to look at Shadow Mask monitors.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>
January 31, 2003 3:34:02 AM

yeah like above posters said, all monitors that use an aperture grill have these two lines. This includes Trinitron and Diamondtron monitors. The two lines are really only visible on a white background, most other times you don't even notice them.
January 31, 2003 5:05:56 AM

my 107P4 produced by Philips also has two lines across the screen. i don't like it, but you have no choice if you want to use Trinitron and Diamondtron monitors.
February 1, 2003 2:57:56 AM

You'll probably get used to these lines after a while.
If not invest in a TFT sceen $$$$$.

DCB_AU
February 1, 2003 11:18:42 AM

I have a Sony Trinitron 21" E540 and the lines bugged the hell out me me when it was new. I've gotten used to them, kind of. They still piss me off. I feel that these lines basically render the Aperture Grill technology useless. Not only did Sony bury the reason deep in the manual, they put nothing on the boxes stating "There are lines on the screen that will drive you nuts!" They also had the audacity to state, "You may not even see them." Yeah right. Class action lawsuit anyone?

<font color=purple>AMD XP 2200+, A7N8X, 512mb PC3200 Corsair XMS DDR, Geforce3 Ti-500, Audigy Platinum, TDK 48x CDRW, Lite-On 16x DVD, XP Pro, and more neon than a ghetto sled </font color=purple>
!