Just bought a Canon 300D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Right, this is my first 'proper' digital camera, what would you
recommend I do to get used to it? Just take a few photos and learn
from what's wrong, play with the settings etc, or do you have any sites
that would help me learn the basics?

Hope this is the right group to post in...

Calum wrote:
> Right, this is my first 'proper' digital camera, what would you
> recommend I do to get used to it? Just take a few photos and learn
> from what's wrong, play with the settings etc, or do you have any
sites
> that would help me learn the basics?
>
> Hope this is the right group to post in...

I'm a retired,life long press photographer and recently bought a Canon
Digital Rebel. This camera has a pocket size instruction manual ( 140
pages of it) and I think the fastest, most fun way to learn is to just
TAKE PICTURES ~ LOTS OF THEM. No worry about cost of film or
processing. I always tell newbie photogs "If you love photography, You
will keep taking pictures. Its a WIN WIN situation.

Sorry about that, I'll seek it out. How can I find out the frame
count? I've been playing around with it, still has the novelty value
so I grin like an idiot when the flash pops up and I fire off 4 photos!
(This after coming from a 1.3MP camera!)

In article <1107624127.097896.88950@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
"Calum" <calum.handforth@gmail.com> wrote:

> Right, this is my first 'proper' digital camera, what would you
> recommend I do to get used to it? Just take a few photos and learn
> from what's wrong, play with the settings etc, or do you have any sites
> that would help me learn the basics?
>
> Hope this is the right group to post in...

Do everything with it. Have some fun. photo.net might be an
interesting place to check out.

Yes, this group is correct.

"Calum" <calum.handforth@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Right, this is my first 'proper' digital camera, what would you
> recommend I do to get used to it? Just take a few photos and learn
> from what's wrong, play with the settings etc, or do you have any sites
> that would help me learn the basics?

I bought mine two weeks ago and have already taken more than 3600 frames.
Take a trip round the creative settings.
Experiment with shutter speeds and apertures to see what you can do with
depth of field and motion.
Do it all again with different ISO settings - it costs nothing so keep
clicking!
Shoot against the light. Try changing the metering zones.
Work your way through the menus and then do it again so all the tricks
become familiar.

Tumbleweed wrote:

> "Calum" <calum.handforth@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Right, this is my first 'proper' digital camera, what would you
> > recommend I do to get used to it? Just take a few photos and learn
> > from what's wrong, play with the settings etc, or do you have any sites
> > that would help me learn the basics?
> >
> I bought mine two weeks ago and have already taken more than 3600 frames.
> Take a trip round the creative settings.

first read the manual part about f-stop and shutter speed,
and what they will change in your picture, then...

Calum wrote:
> Right, this is my first 'proper' digital camera, what would you
> recommend I do to get used to it? Just take a few photos and learn
> from what's wrong, play with the settings etc, or do you have any
> sites that would help me learn the basics?
>
> Hope this is the right group to post in...

You could post in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems if your provider carries
it. It's where a lot of DSLR types may be found.

Cheers,
David

Calum wrote:

> Sorry about that, I'll seek it out. How can I find out the frame
> count? I've been playing around with it, still has the novelty value
> so I grin like an idiot when the flash pops up and I fire off 4 photos!
> (This after coming from a 1.3MP camera!)

r.p.d.s is more speicialized toward digital SLRs, but this group is
perfectly appropriate as well... it just tends to have more non-SLR "noise".

As a 300D owner as well (although it's taken me several months to hit
the 3200 frame mark, I figure the camera has already paid for itself in
film costs), I agree with everyone else: go nuts on the shutter button,
play willy-nilly with settings, and see what happens: the beautiful part
it, all your settings are stored in hidden EXIF data with every photo
(they're embedded in the JPGs; if you shoot RAW, you have to extract it
from the corresponding THM file) so with an EXIF-capable viewer, you can
always look at what settings you used (ISO, shutter, aperture, EV,
flash, even lens and focal lenth used) to achieve a particular shot.

For a viewer, I'd highly recommend IrfanView: it's small, fast, simple,
with a nice complement of features including EXIF viewer (hit the 'I'
key when viewing a picture, then click the EXIF button on the
Information window that pops up), has auto-rotate (EXIF also stores the
horizontal/vertical orientation info from the camera, so the viewer can
auto-rotate pictures shot holding the camera veritcally), and best of
all, is absolutely FREE from www.infanview.com. Get the plug-in pack as
well: there's support for Canon's RAW (.CRW) format.

Finally, a good site to check out would be the Canon Digital Learning
Center at http://www.photoworkshop.com/canon/index.html - they have free
online tutorials that go through all the basics of digital photography,
and assignments to try out and learn different features of your 300D,
from simple to advanced.

Calum wrote:

> Sorry about that, I'll seek it out. How can I find out the frame
> count? I've been playing around with it, still has the novelty value
> so I grin like an idiot when the flash pops up and I fire off 4 photos!
> (This after coming from a 1.3MP camera!)

Oh, and in answer to your other question: the image name gives you the
frame number. The filename IMG_0123.JPG would be frame number 123.
Unless you set the camera otherwise, it will just keep counting
sequentially (I'm guessing it'll loop back to 0000 after it hits 9999).

Also, when viewing the images on your on-camera LCD, the number in the
top-right will tell you the frame number: it's a three-digit folder
number, then a four-digit frame number. Mine right now is showing
132-3267. If you look at the filesystem on the memory card (using a
card reader), you'll find a folder named DCIM, and numbered folders
inside there, starting at 100. Each folder contains up to 100 pictures,
starting with the last two digits of the folder name; folder 104 would
contain shots 0400 thru 0499, for example.

"Calum" <calum.handforth@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Right, this is my first 'proper' digital camera, what would you
> recommend I do to get used to it? Just take a few photos and learn
> from what's wrong, play with the settings etc, or do you have any sites
> that would help me learn the basics?

I too just bought a 300D before xmas and I can tell you that you've received
some great advice.

To summarize;
Learn about Shutter Speed and Aperture and how they affect you pictures
Don't waste time with Auto mode. Shoot in AV, TV, or P where you can
control the settings. For full control shoot in M
Examine the EXIF data, there's a wealth of information there.
When possible shoot your subject multiple times trying different things.
See what works and what doesn't work.

I'll add one thing that was stressed to me several months ago. Pay
attention to you composition. Learn what makes up good composition. It
will make the difference between an ordinary snap shot and a good
photograph.

As to books, I picked up this one:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1579905897/qid%3D1107670792/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/102-8756385-9758514?v=glance

I found it very informative, not only for the 300D but as a good refresher
book on basic photography.

Lastly, I strongly suggest you purchase one of these:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=details_accessories&A=details&Q=&sku=297502&is=REG

Certainly won't make you pictures any better but you'll love the extended
battery life.

--

Rob

Calum <calum.handforth@gmail.com> wrote:

>Right, this is my first 'proper' digital camera, what would you
>recommend I do to get used to it? Just take a few photos and learn
>from what's wrong, play with the settings etc, or do you have any sites
>that would help me learn the basics?

>Hope this is the right group to post in...

It is a right group.

My advice would be to take as many pictures as you can.
The main difference between this and a film camera
is that the pictures cost essentially nothing to move
to a PC and view.

If you use one of the Canon viewers (or another program
that loads the "exif" file (the file with the exposure
information) you can correlate the picture with the data
with your memory of the scene. I.e. don't wait a month to
view the images.

You can learn a lot that way. In fact, if you photograph
locally you can go back the next day and try again.

It is a marvelously liberating experience. I find that I
take many more pictures than I did with film. And a lower
percentage are "keepers". But I'm now willing to take
many more risky shots and a number of those come out -- and
I'd never have wasted film on them before.

Enjoy! I love my 300D.

---- Paul J. Gans

<LEICA@AOL.COM> wrote:
>Calum wrote:

>> Right, this is my first 'proper' digital camera, what would you
>> recommend I do to get used to it? Just take a few photos and learn
>> from what's wrong, play with the settings etc, or do you have any
>sites
>> that would help me learn the basics?
>>
>> Hope this is the right group to post in...
>
>I'm a retired,life long press photographer and recently bought a Canon
>Digital Rebel. This camera has a pocket size instruction manual ( 140
>pages of it) and I think the fastest, most fun way to learn is to just
>TAKE PICTURES ~ LOTS OF THEM. No worry about cost of film or
>processing. I always tell newbie photogs "If you love photography, You
>will keep taking pictures. Its a WIN WIN situation.

One of the things I tried when I got mine was to take the lens off and
cover the front of the camera with foil that had a pinhole. Worked!
Interesting results. I'd never have tried that with a film camera
because, well, film costs money.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer@sonic.net

"Calum" <calum.handforth@gmail.com> wrote:

>Right, this is my first 'proper' digital camera, what would you
>recommend I do to get used to it? Just take a few photos and learn
>from what's wrong, play with the settings etc, or do you have any sites
>that would help me learn the basics?
>
>Hope this is the right group to post in...

Well, you've received many good replies. To them I would recommend
seeing what others are photographing and try to emulate them. I've
been hanging out at:

Discussion Group:

Photo Posting For Group:
http://www.pbase.com/canon_300d/

It is a moderated group so things proceed a little slowly BUT under
control. There is some technical stuff like how to hack together
interesting equipment ... such as back-to-back lens arrangements for
macro pics.

ie. http://www.pbase.com/canon_300d/image/38852508

Have fun!

http://www3.sympatico.ca/dmitton
SPAM Reduction: Remove "x." from my domain.

"Matt Ion" <soundy@moltenimage.com> wrote in message
> Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:
>

>> Lastly, I strongly suggest you purchase one of these:
>> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=details_accessories&A=details&Q=&sku=297502&is=REG
>>
>> Certainly won't make you pictures any better but you'll love the extended
>> battery life.
>
> The alternate controls are great if you shoot a lot of portrait-oriented
> shots, too.

I have to agree here. It took some getting use to but I sure do appreciate
the controls on the battery grip. It makes getting some of those more
candid portraits quick and easy.

--

Rob

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 01:30:46 -0500, "Robert R Kircher, Jr."
<rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote:

>To summarize;
>Learn about Shutter Speed and Aperture and how they affect you pictures
>Don't waste time with Auto mode. Shoot in AV, TV, or P where you can
>control the settings. For full control shoot in M

I set the full control settings (TV, AV, M) to shoot in RAW, or
sometimes large jpeg (when I know I won't be doing any advance image
manipulation on the images). Then I set the "automatic" settings
(green box "auto" setting, and the pictograph settings for portrait,
landscape, etc.) to shoot small jpegs. That way when I need to take a
quick snap for a web or email-only photo (i.e. for an eBay auction, or
to email/IM a photo of something I need at the store) I don't have to
change the file size back and forth or resize the image after I've
taken it. I change to the automatic mode to take that snap, then
change the camera back to TV or AV (my normal modes) for future high
quality photos.

One thing that has screwed me up several times with my 300d is that I
change some setting, take a bunch of photos, put the camera away, then
when I get it out next I forget to reset this setting. e.g: I set it
for ISO 1600 for low light shots, then the next day I pull it out in
the bright sun and take a few frames before my brain realizes that the
camera selected a faster shutter or larger fstop than expected (due to
the high ISO). Develop a routine of resetting ISO, exposure
compensation, image size, etc to your preferred default values each
time you put the camera away so that it's ready if you have a chance
to grab a quick photo the next time you pull it out.

jc

Confused

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

On 5 Feb 2005 13:19:23 -0800
In message <1107638363.919585.254520@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>
"Calum" <calum.handforth@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry about that, I'll seek it out. How can I find out the frame
> count? I've been playing around with it, still has the novelty value
> so I grin like an idiot when the flash pops up and I fire off 4 photos!
> (This after coming from a 1.3MP camera!)

Don't worry about the other usenet group. All of the informative
people are still here, and will remain here. You'll also get a wider
range of discussions and knowledge here.

Jeff