Is this a really a H61 Motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeradom

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
Hello,

First off, I will admit that I'm still playing catchup after being away from the Build a PC game, so forgive me if this is a really dumb question. In my research, I understand that H61 Motherboards do not come with 6GB SATA Ports. However, a motherboard that a lot of people seem to be choosing appears to a H61 with a 6GB SATA Port.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130609

The link is above, so I was curious what are the key diferences between a Z68 mobo and a H61 mobo. I chose this one for a recent computer build as it was the cheapest I could find with 6GB SATA ports, and want to make sure there isn't a catch.

Solution

Its made for the smaller cases, u can use it too, I would. Its smaller, but its OK.

I would get Z68, that's why I would choose mATX with Z68. Its just better : )

Aeradom

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011

My goal with the build facilitating this mobo was to have a entry level gaming computer ($500-$600), which is why I was looking at this particular one. And considering the fact that both the cpu's I'm considering are locked (i5-2120&2400) the overclocking wasn't a factor and I only planned on using one discreet card so no sli/crossfire isn't an issue either.

All that said, I wasn't aware of the H61's incompatibility with Ivy Bridge which is a tad bit frustrating. The combo of the i5-2400&6870 HD is killing me already, making me $60 over $600. A low end Z68 board it looked like will cost me at least $120, which puts me over $700. And that's a hard pill to swallow when I was originally looking for a build of <$600.

Back to the orginal topic though, when I was looking up the specs on a z68 chipset, it said that those mobo's were the ones that had 6gb/s ports, and that H61 only had 3gb/s ports. I was wanting to know why this H61 does appear to have such ports.

The following is the article I was reading to catch up on the different chipsets since I last built a computer:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets

Aeradom

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011

Yes I did see this one, but was sort of worried when I saw it was a Micro-ATX board. It will work with the case I'm looking at, I just don't have any experience with that form factor, is there anything to keep in mind with them?

Edit:
...If u will get SSD later, SATA3 would be great...

I was thinking about using a SSD to put Windows onto it, but that would probably not be for a while though.

Its made for the smaller cases, u can use it too, I would. Its smaller, but its OK.

I would get Z68, that's why I would choose mATX with Z68. Its just better : )

Solution

Aeradom

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
Thank you for all your help, the price isn't too bad of a jump and I like the possibility of in a couple of years upgrading to an ivy bridge. Suppose I just wont be going to McDonald's next week...

[fixed]Suppose I just wont be going to McDonald's next week...[/fixed]
Poor you : )

Thanx for the vote Aeradom and good luck!

Weird-Mcdonalds-Mega-Mac.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.