no sound on toshiba 5005-s504 after XP SP2 update

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b \ Driver
a b D Laptop
March 30, 2005 3:49:21 AM

Hi,
My sister upgraded her Satellite to XP service patch 2, and it said the
sound drivers on the computer wouldn't work with XP SP2 just after the
install.

Since then, there has been no sound. I searched Toshiba's web site for
sound drivers, but couldn't find any when I used the XP SP2 filter. I
couldn't find new drivers on Microsoft's update site either.

Can anybody help me fix this for her. I'm at a loss now.

Thanks in advance for any ideas,

Avery
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b D Laptop
March 30, 2005 3:49:22 AM

-Avery Anderson- wrote:
> Hi,
> My sister upgraded her Satellite to XP service patch 2, and it said
> the sound drivers on the computer wouldn't work with XP SP2 just
> after the install.
>
> Since then, there has been no sound. I searched Toshiba's web site
> for sound drivers, but couldn't find any when I used the XP SP2
> filter. I couldn't find new drivers on Microsoft's update site
> either.
> Can anybody help me fix this for her. I'm at a loss now.
>
> Thanks in advance for any ideas,
>
> Avery

Have you tried to reinstall the SP1 sound driver update?

a b \ Driver
a b D Laptop
March 30, 2005 9:07:29 AM

Well I know there are a lot of people who claim there is nothing wrong
with SP2. While normally SP2 isn't totally bad on *most* computers.
Although I have started to recommend that *nobody* install that thing!
You can uninstall it through add/remove under the Control Panel.

Cheers!

Bill (using a HP AMD 1.2GHZ & Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within Word 2000

Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 23:49:21 -0500
a b \ Driver
a b D Laptop
March 30, 2005 2:36:28 PM

Hi Q,
I found that on the web site, but thought I shouldn't use it because I
already installed SP2.
Do you think it would be safe to use that one?

Thanks,

Avery

> Have you tried to reinstall the SP1 sound driver update?

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b D Laptop
March 30, 2005 3:14:51 PM

problem solved.
got the manual fm their website and learned
it has a manual volumn control on the
side of the laptop.
a tiny black wheel that i had not noticed.
it was turned all the way down,
effectively muting the system.

duh...

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

Avery
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b D Laptop
March 30, 2005 3:50:43 PM

-Avery Anderson- wrote:
> problem solved.
> got the manual fm their website and learned
> it has a manual volumn control on the
> side of the laptop.
> a tiny black wheel that i had not noticed.
> it was turned all the way down,
> effectively muting the system.
>
> duh...
>
> Thanks for taking the time to help me.
>
> Avery

You are not the first one to be tripped up with the volume wheel! Since
most laptops don't have one, no one looks for it and it seems to be
always turned off. I have an old Tosh 430CDT that I gave to my mother
in law for email and web, the sound failed, and it wasn't until I
visited several months later that I remembered that damned wheel!

Now, the next stumbling block is the on/off switch on the mini-PCI
wireless cards.