Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can I move an Upgrad XP HD to another PC?

Last response: in Systems
February 26, 2011 5:13:06 PM

Hi,
I currently have an old Dell P3 933MHz 512M RAM with an Upgrade version of XP that I installed a few years back. My neighbor gave me an old Micron tower (minus the HD) with a P4 2GHz 1GB RAM and thought it would be good to get me by until I save enough to build my own SB rig. I have the Windows ME OEM disc that came with my Dell. Can I move my HD over with an Upgrade version of XP? How big of a PIA is it?
Thanks

More about : move upgrad

February 26, 2011 5:46:37 PM

I would not even try to get the p4 running with the old ME disk. If you can find your old xp upgrade disk thats the one or better yet go out and buy 7.
m
l
February 26, 2011 5:56:42 PM

anonymous1 said:
I would not even try to get the p4 running with the old ME disk. If you can find your old xp upgrade disk thats the one or better yet go out and buy 7.

The old ME disc is just to use the Upgrade version of XP I bought. I pop it in when installing XP to verify I qualify for an Upgrade version of Widows. I thought I read somewhere that because the ME disc is OEM Dell it won't work with another hardware configuration for the purpose of qualifying my XP disc.
m
l
Related resources
February 26, 2011 6:32:16 PM

Since you are planing to move the old drive, it should see the old xp version and let you "upgrade"
m
l
February 26, 2011 7:21:36 PM

anonymous1 said:
Since you are planing to move the old drive, it should see the old xp version and let you "upgrade"

In otherwords, reformat and put the XP disc in, once the new drive is hooked up?
m
l

Best solution

February 27, 2011 7:50:54 PM

put the old drive with xp in the machine... start the machine booting to the xp disk... format and install.
February 28, 2011 11:03:51 AM

anonymous1 said:
put the old drive with xp in the machine... start the machine booting to the xp disk... format and install.

I'm still trying to get it to "see" the optical drives at all, something I tried to do now causes no boot when they are even connected. The only thing I can think of is when the OS (Win 98) tried to find drivers for the "new" hardware, I could only get it to find what was part of the original Windows install. Maybe some kind of controller got disabled. I did pop in my ME disc when it asked for the '98 disc, but the drive would never spin up and read it. BTW, jumpers on HDD is set to Master, DVD drives to Slave.
m
l
March 7, 2011 2:26:35 PM

OK, moving right along...yanked one of the Micron'r optical drives, and replaced it with one of the Dell's working drives. For whatever reason, that seemed to cure the problem as now the Micron showed the opticals. I reformatted the junk hard drive with my Upgrade XP disc, and it's up and running :bounce: . Now that I know the hardware in the Micron is stable (so far), it;s time to move my good HDD from the Dell over. The junk drive I stuck in the Micron is 1.5 GB 5300 RPM, already showing Low Disc Space warning with no programs besides XP installed except IE 8. And it's s-l-o-w! As far as my XP disc working, I won't know for sure until I make the hard drive switch, and activate the new install of XP.
m
l
March 14, 2011 11:21:00 AM

anonymous1 said:

Switched to my "good"HDD, and had a little trouble with the DVD drives again, but seemed to finally see them, reformatted, and Viola, XP loaded uneventfully. The new install saw the previous installation of XP, so no questions asked.
m
l
March 21, 2011 12:52:39 AM

I would give Anonymous 1 a "Best Answer", but I'm not getting that option for some reason...hello, moderator...
m
l
March 21, 2011 6:55:09 PM

Well thanks for the thought any way Noonin
m
l
March 22, 2011 10:38:54 PM

Best answer selected by noonin1.
m
l
!