Sign in with
Your question

I know its christmas, but something is wrong with my graphic card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 24, 2010 11:45:07 PM

After a good Christmas and all the guests had gone home, I went straight over to my computer and logged into World of Warcraft.
when the load screen was finished, my computer did a graphic glitches and turned off both of my monitors (duel screen) I can hear my friends on Ventrilo (VoIP program) but my screen is off.

I restart my computer so when it starts it shows a picture of my motherboard brand, it has some pixel errors as it never had before.
I log into my windows and it is 800x600 but I put it up quickly and everything look normal, apart from my second screen is black.
But my graphics card driver does not work and the Driver Manager has my graphics card this error:
Quote:
Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

I've tried to reinstall my driver
Take the card out and blow my brain out
Run a lot of Windows program fix

And nothing worked

This is my computer spec:
Quote:
Motherboard: ASUS P5K SE
Processor: Intel Core 2 Due E8400 3.00GHz 3.00GHz
Memory: DDR2 8GB
Videocard: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX/GTX+
Soundcard: X-fi Sound Blaster
Main HDD: 600GB
Powersupply: 500 watt Performance
Case: AXP II

I gotta admit that I have vacuumed my computer a few times, Yes it was stupid
It has also always had a little static electricity in place (standing on a carpet)

I hope there are some who can help me or tell me what the problem is

Thanks in advance!
December 25, 2010 1:24:35 AM

Sounds like a hardware issue. No need to blow your brains out over it though ;) 
Do you have another card, or one you van borrow to try out. The pixelated BIOS splash makes me Really think the cards going out.
a b U Graphics card
December 25, 2010 2:29:46 AM

Good suggestions by micro. Did you unistall the old drivers before reinstalling them?
Are you using the latest drivers from nVidia?

You might also try swapping the monitors and see if the dead monitor issue is with the card or the monitor. Also does using just one monitor make any difference? Also depending on monitor results you might need to swap cables just to isolate if they are contributing to the problem.

While less likely issues. have you tried a complete shutdown vs. restart? Inspecting graphics ard and motherboard for obvious issues like burn spots or leaky capacitors?
Related resources
a c 172 U Graphics card
December 25, 2010 6:34:56 AM

vid card or psu issue most likely. The 500w psu you have is suspect, not a known brand.
a b U Graphics card
December 25, 2010 6:38:05 AM

Pixelated BIOS screen smells of bad video RAM on the card, or possibly a crapped out PSU, but 3 out of 4 times you see it, it's a failing video card.
a b U Graphics card
December 25, 2010 6:59:30 AM

^^ Gpu or psu.. Make sure there isnt any dust in the gpu..
What is the brand/model of the psu ?
December 25, 2010 7:38:43 AM

Quote:
Did you unistall the old drivers before reinstalling them?
Are you using the latest drivers from nVidia?

Yes tried what 2 times

Quote:
You might also try swapping the monitors and see if the dead monitor issue is with the card or the monitor. Also does using just one monitor make any difference? Also depending on monitor results you might need to swap cables just to isolate if they are contributing to the problem.

When i swap the monitors it just shows on my 2. monitor instead, it dosent sound good at all :( (

Quote:
Have you tried a complete shutdown vs. restart?

Yes it was turned off all night

I just took the side off my computer to look what psu it is, i took a picture

Performance
Power supply unit ATX 2.2
500 w

So at the moment it looks like its a graphic card issue

a b U Graphics card
December 25, 2010 7:56:53 AM

18+17a on 12v rails.... sounds cheap but if those specs are real (doubt it) its sufficent

i would say video card - its typical nvidia really...
a b U Graphics card
December 25, 2010 11:12:17 AM

A 9800 GTX+ should not be run from a cheap PSU like that.
December 25, 2010 4:11:48 PM

no way its fine,i think gpu is out of it,go and get it repaired from shop like i did to my hd 3870 ddr4!!!
December 25, 2010 6:51:39 PM

mrjericho1991 said:
no way its fine,i think gpu is out of it,go and get it repaired from shop like i did to my hd 3870 ddr4!!!

How long time does it take them to repair it ?:) 
a c 172 U Graphics card
December 25, 2010 10:05:15 PM

about 8-12 mins at 210 C
December 25, 2010 10:58:53 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
about 8-12 mins at 210 C

What??
December 25, 2010 11:06:26 PM

Oven repair.
December 25, 2010 11:30:04 PM

microterf said:
Oven repair.

are you kidding me, does it work, anyway i have nothing to lose. ill give it a try!
December 26, 2010 3:30:27 PM

I gave it 10 min. in the oven at 200C and it work amazing
a c 84 U Graphics card
December 26, 2010 5:04:49 PM

yay, remelting cracked solder joints FTW
just FYI, the reworked solder joints are somewhat weaker than the 'originals', so it would be a good idea to start saving for a replacement card pretty soon. The card might work for a couple of months or even a year if you're lucky, or it could fail next week... But in the mean time, have fun! :D 
December 26, 2010 6:27:49 PM

Kari said:
yay, remelting cracked solder joints FTW
just FYI, the reworked solder joints are somewhat weaker than the 'originals', so it would be a good idea to start saving for a replacement card pretty soon. The card might work for a couple of months or even a year if you're lucky, or it could fail next week... But in the mean time, have fun! :D 

hehe ye i know, but it give me time to sort a lot of things out :) )
a c 172 U Graphics card
December 26, 2010 7:33:47 PM

hope you had a well ventilated area to do that in.....it's not necessarily safe.
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2011 1:44:13 PM

Now you warn him?

But glad to see it worked and OP is still alive.
!