Graphics card compatibility issues

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Computer
  • Compatibility
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 24, 2010 11:55:25 PM

Hey everyone, I have a Dell 8300 computer (old, I know) and after doing plenty of research on how to upgrade my graphics card I decided that buying a XFX Radeon HD 4650 would be a good choice because of it's price and ive researched many forums where people have this card on the same computer I have, so I assumed it would be compatible. I just got it today in the mail and it doesn't fit into any of the slots for graphics cards. I was wondering if maybe I was doing something wrong here, because I'm about 99% sure that this graphics card should be compatible.

By the way, here's a link to my motherboard: http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm128/noncomjd/8300....

More about : graphics card compatibility issues

a c 208 U Graphics card
December 25, 2010 12:48:29 AM

Did you get the AGP or PCI-E version of that card? The picture you linked to isnt loading but the other pictures i can find only show PCI and an AGP slots on that motherboard.
m
l
December 25, 2010 1:09:07 AM

I have the PCI version and I just realized that the one I need is the AGP version. I also have another question if you don't mind, what graphics card would you recommend for my Dell 8300? Or should I just just stick with getting an AGP XFX Radeon HD 4650?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
December 25, 2010 2:39:20 AM

What is the size of your power supply?

Specs say either 250w or 305w both of which are very small for running even a basic graphics card. The recommended size for the 4650 is 400w, although you could probably squeeze by with a little less but even the 305w might not be large enough, definitely not the 250w. The 4650 also requires a 6 pin power connector. Do you have one of those coming off the PSU?

For general guidance on selecting a video card, you might want to review upgradevideocards.com.

http://www.upgradevideocards.com/index.html

What card were you running before?
December 25, 2010 2:51:14 AM

My current installed graphics card is an nvidia 6600 (NOT GT version) which isn't cutting it for me, I like to play older games made in the last five years, I play new games on my xbox 360. As for my power supply, mine is about 200 and something (can't remember off the top of my head) but I know that the Radeon requires at least 400, and I plan on getting one of that power tomorrow. And as the the PSU cable, it only has 4.
m
l
January 1, 2011 3:20:29 AM

Best answer selected by max92.
m
l
!