A few simple questions!

number1 east

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
Alright so,

Life story:

Not really but ok. Basically upgraded a pc I got from best buy recently. Installed new 650w psu and a evga gtx 470. Now I knew I was going to bottleneck the hell out of it seeing as im running 2.20ghz and triple core processor AMD. Currently im looking to upgrade it on a budget (explained later). After looking through my pc specs I found this:

Processor upgrade information
Socket type: AM2+
Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:

Phenom with Quad Core (Agena) technology (AM2+) up to 9600 (up to 95 watt TDP)
Athlon64 X2 with Dual Core technology up to 5600+ (up to 89 watt TDP)
Athlon64 less than 4000+
Sempron less than 3800+

Questions:

1) Will this processor be compatiable with that motherboard (seems like it to me).

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=19-103-921&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo

2) I keep getting told that my motherboard is locked because its prebuilt etc. I understand that but would this new processor also be locked? Like will I be able to oc at all (not really planning on though)?

3) Will that new cpu fix my bottleneck issues?

THANKS!

P.S: Trying to avoid replacing motherboard, ram, OS, etc...

1. your change of CPU will be available at AM2+
2. if your mobo have locked you must upgrade
3. depend on your motherboard support phenom II or not

And this explanation of the third will cover your question
all CPU your change still bottleneck with gtx 470 :)

minimum balanced gtx 470
- CPU : Phenom II 965BE, Thuban, Bulldozer and from intel x58 i7 930 above, SB 2500K and SB i7 2600K ,
- Motherboard : depend on cpu
- RAM : amd use dual chanel kit and Intel get tripel chanel kit

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
First of all, I'm sure if you can support the Phenom X3, you can support the Phenom II X4 series. Note that it's not true in all scenarios. You should provide us with your motherboard model, or at least the computer you purchased and the model ID so it makes it easier to determine your motherboard specs.

Second, yes, you wouldn't be able to overclock if the motherboard was locked. They do this in order to protect your warranty.

Third, you don't really have a huge issue with bottlenecking, possibly a bit at most, but you will see a performance spike in some applications, and CPU extensive games.

number1 east

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
Thanks for the respone.

Ok just to clear up.

1. Your saying that changing to the cpu I posted in the link it will be compatible?
2. Yes, it is locked. Howver I do not really plan on overclocking. Therefore it will still work though?
3. For the bottleneck right now I am running and AMD phenom x3 8550. Most games such as battlefield I can run perfectly on single player. But, when it comes to multiplayer I lose like 50% of my fps. The GPU usage is only at about 30-40% at all times.

Will this cpu increase that?

number1 east

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
Yes, I very much understand that it is very hard to get a budget cpu for a gtx 470 and there will always be somewhat of a cpu bottleneck. But, 30% gpu usage on battlefield bad company 2 multiplayer come now...If this cpu gets me anywhere from 80%+ I am happy.

number1 east

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
Thanks for the link. Problem is is that my pc is retail. Motherboard is locked so its not possible to overclock the cpu. I think ill just wait and upgrade motherboard,cpu,ram,os...etc