Control fan speeds, fans, fans, fans

rkoby

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I am struggling a bit with how to control FAN speeds for my new build with a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard. I know that the included software with the board will control the CPU fan but apparently nothing else. I downloaded Speedfan and tried to figure out if i could configure it to control the speeds of other fans attached to the MB. Speed 01 controlled the CPU fan and Speed 03 controlled the CPU fan also but like in a range from speed 01 to double that. Speed 02 controlled my rear fan. That was it. I have 3 other fans attached to the MB. I tired to figure out how i could configure this speedfan to do more, but could not figure it out. There was no configuration to download for my MB either. So i guess the next question is whether i would be just better off using a NZXT to control the fans other than the CPU fan? Where do i put those little heat sensors to pick up temperatures? How do you attach them? If you put the heat sensor on a heatsink and tape it and it gets real hot, woudl that be a problem?

zonemods

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
i always go with an external controller just because most motherboard controllers are too complicated and aren't very sensitive tigerdirect has a decent 4 fan controller for $10