Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Idle temp 40-38 with Corsair H60 Cooler.

Last response: in Components
May 28, 2011 2:03:12 PM

I just installed a E8400 cpu with a Corsair Hydro H60 Cooler 2 days ago and the idle temps seem to be static at 40-38C. I had a Asus Silent Knight Cooler before with the Q6600 cpu and the temp rarely got over 27C. The fan on the radiator is working fine and the pump is connected to a 3 pin fan connector on the motherboard as per the instructions. I installed the pump with the heat paste that was already on it. The board is a Asus P5Q Pro and I have 8Ghz Corsair 6400-(800Mhz) of ram.

Any suggestions as to why the temps are static or is that OK. Any help appreciated.
June 1, 2011 9:39:24 PM

Is your MOBO controlling or throttling the voltage to the pump? Make sure you are NOT using Q-Fan and that the pump is getting a full 12v.

Also, where/how are you measuring these idle temps?
Score
June 2, 2011 11:21:09 AM

XMSYellowbeard said:
Is your MOBO controlling or throttling the voltage to the pump? Make sure you are NOT using Q-Fan and that the pump is getting a full 12v.

Also, where/how are you measuring these idle temps?

Hi XmsYellowbeard, thanks for your reply.

The cooling fan is connected to the CPU connector on the board and the pump is connected to any 3 pin fan connector as per instructions. No I am not using Q-Fan. The temps were measured with the RealTemp software. The PC is not overclocked yet, but I ran Prime for an hour and the temp on one core (40C) only went as high as 43C then back to 41C.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

June 2, 2011 11:46:14 AM

Are these temps above ambient? Or are these actual temps?

If you're talking actual core temps, 43C max during prime95 is great considering the TDM for that E8400 processor is 72.4C. That leaves a lot of headroom for overclocking.

If you're talking 43C as above ambient, what's your ambient temp?

I have to say, my H50 sucks compared to another build I have which uses a Hyper 212 plus.

If what you're saying is actual core temps with an H60 (this is Corsair's first solution partnering with Coolit and no longer partnered with Asetek), this is big news and you're running very cool if your load temp for the core is only 43C!? Wow. I definitely need to pick one up if this is the case.

That is crazy good performance out of that H60 if you're talking actual core temps.

Like yellowbeard said, though, if you make sure the fan control is off (the 3-pin power connector for the pump is affected by this) so that the pump runs at full speed continuously, you may see a drop in idle temps, otherwise, this could be why you idle temps are close to your max temps (ie pump only increases speed as heat increases).
June 3, 2011 3:59:56 AM

Hi Ubercake

Ambient temp in the room is about 13C (just starting winter in Aust) and core temp is 43C max.

Q-Fan is disabled and according to Bios the CPU fan is running at 1800rpm and the Pump on Chassis 1 connector is running at 4218rpm, I dont know if that is correct, seems fairly fast. The CPU temp is 36.5c in the Bios but 40C in RealTemp.

I have a Antec 900 case with 4 fans but they are connected directly to the Corsair 650w PSU so the Pump and CPU fan are the only ones connected to the P5Q Pro board.

Cheers
Score
February 3, 2012 6:35:11 PM

Best answer selected by mousemonkey.
Score
February 3, 2012 6:35:14 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!