Help on upgrading Inspiron 530s

hombaca_05

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
Looking to upgrade my 530s, which I've discovered is a major headache. At least as far as finding parts that fit. I have 3 things.
1. Upgrading the graphics card. I put a Radeon 4650 in, which has been great. Unfortunately, Witcher 2 is not cooperating. I was looking at the Radeon 4850. But there's two things about that card, they're the following.
2. I've read the 4850 runs hot, how do I go about putting in something to help cool it?
3. The power supply. I've found one on eBay that's 320w, but I'm worried it won't be enough. I also found one on eCrater that says it's 400w. Do you think it's legit? Or would the 320 be fine? Maybe a different graphics card you'd recommend? http://www.ecrater.com/p/8716434/400w-tfx-replacement-dell-power#

Thanks for any help. Much appreciated.

I would go with corsair or pc power and cooling on the power supply with 30 amps minimum on the 12v rail. Most of the video cards don't need additional cooling; they may run warm but not enough to cause artifacts. I would go for a larger jump when you upgrade the video; you can get a decent card such as the 5770 for around $125. The decent cards have better fans and heatsinks. Just do some measurements first to make sure they will fit your dell case. You can also post in one of the dell forums and see what other dell owners are using.