ethanw

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
I built a rig almost a year ago.

AsRock P67 Extreme 4
i7-2600k
running windows 7
GTX 570

I bought 2x4GB G.Skill Sniper RAM: part # F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR from Newegg for the rig when I built it. It was listed as DDR3-1600. When running auto in BIOS it defaulted to 1333. At the time, I was under the impression that 1333 was what I was supposed to use with the 2600k, so I did. I just bought two more sticks to get up to 16GB. Same part number, but they have different heat spreaders and look much cooler. SO. I've read recently that 1600 is fine with the 2600k so I installed the new RAM, and manually changed my RAM speed to 1600. All RAM shows up as running 1600 in BIOS, but nowhere else. I've used CPU-z and SIW to check the speeds, and they both say that my original RAM is 1333 and the new RAM is 1600. CPU-z says the max speed of the original RAM is 1333. I checked the label on the RAM stick and it says 1600.

What's going on here? Could I have gotten mislabelled RAM the first time? Why is the BIOS showing 1600 for all, but all other programs show 1333 for my original RAM? The timings are also different according to CPU-z. Although I guess that makes sense since they seem to be running at different speeds. So my main thing is making sure I'm not suffering any performance issues using these two sets of RAM together. I suppose I could force 1333 on all of them. Thoughts?

Solution
yes you're correct it lays with the report imbedded in the chip/cpu itself. Even my o/c doesn’t show up in windows but cpuid shows it.

Cpuid is right because i benchmarked to see the difference and there was :)

So you're fine.

ethanw

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
I just downloaded PerformanceTest 7.0. It looks like it actually benchmarks instead of pulling it's info from some sort of default report from the hardware because it has all of my slots running at 1600Mhz. Why would the default max speed on a 1600Mhz stick come up as 1333Mhz in these diagnostic programs like CPU-Z? Do you think (as I'm pretty sure I am) that I'm running at 1600Mhz properly? Thanks. I guess I sort of solved my own problem, but it would be great if someone could confirm or dis-confirm that.

It's sort of funny. The main reason I got this RAM is because there was a great deal on it on Newegg and I figured, why not? 16GB is more than I'll ever need with this build. And since you are supposed to match RAM as closely as possible what could be better than the exact same part number from the same company? I figured I'd get it while the exact same product was still available and on sale cheap. Not so exact though. Oh well.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
yes you're correct it lays with the report imbedded in the chip/cpu itself. Even my o/c doesn’t show up in windows but cpuid shows it.

Cpuid is right because i benchmarked to see the difference and there was :)

So you're fine.

Solution

ethanw

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011

Thanks. I guess I was just surprised that the other programs, not only Windows just read from the hardware. CPU-Z is made by cpuid and that just reads instead of benchmarks the RAM too.

ethanw

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011

Can't find XMP, but I'm using the AsRock UEFI, so I probably am making the same change in reality. Just switched it from auto to 1600Mhz from the menu. I have access to all the timing changes, etc. and at the top of the list of settings I have access to through the UEFI I can pick an XMP profile. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.