Funky colours - Faulty graphics card?

andyallard

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
Hey guys,

Just built a new system. Installed the OS ok without any issues. After the system has been on for a while (a couple of mins) weird things start happening to the screen. Not sure if its coincidence but when I installed the Nvidia drivers I started getting funny colours appearing on the screen. I have attached some photo's so you can see what I mean.

IMG00073-20101224-1052.jpg

IMG00072-20101224-1049.jpg

Sometimes the computer just freezes and sometimes it recovers with an error message. I have tried running in safe mode and get the same issue and as you can see from the bottom image the funny lines were there even before windows starts.

I hope one of you guys can recommend a place to start looking? Hardware/Software? I have read somewhere about making sure your RAM timings are set correctly but in the BIOS i can only see auto settings and cant relate anything I see to the timings I am farmiliar with?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Incorrect RAM timings will cause random freezes/lockups/bluescreens, I pretty sure unstable RAM wouldn't cause artifacts. This looks like faulty memory on your graphics card or perhaps your powersupply isn't supplying enough power to your graphics card.
Doesn't seem to be a driver issue if your getting these artifacts before entering windows and in safe mode.

Can you list your full system specs please?

andyallard

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
It seems to be a very intermittent problem. I have since started it again and seems to be running ok but im sure somewhere along the line the problem will happen again.

ASUS P6X58D-E MoBo
6GB COR DDR3 1600MHz HEAT/S
Intel Core i7 930 2.8G s1366
1GB PALIT GTX460 SONIC
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX
650W SEASONIX X-650 MODULAR
COGAGE TRUE SPIRIT 120M 1366
Ssung 12X BDROM SH-B123L/RSBP
Fractal Design Define R3 Titan

This is the connections to the Graphics Card.
P1010339.JPG

This is where the power is coming from the psu.
P1010340.JPG

Looks like a bad card: Artifacting at the boot screen and Windows logo are usually a sure sign of bad video RAM.
Before you RMA the card do the obvious (unless you already have ;) ): Reseat the memory modules and graphics card and reset the BIOS to factory defaults. If that fails it's time to call up support for an RMA number.

andyallard

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
As I dont have a spare to try I will have to send it back and get another, maybe go with EVGA, they sound a little more promising!

I'll post the outcome for future reference! Thanks guys!