Front USB ports causing crashes/BSODs

osirus23

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
I just built a new PC using a Gigabyte 970A-UD3 motherboard, it's been up and running for about a week now. I've since been having an issue when inserting a USB flash drive into the front panel ports. Sometimes it causes my D:\ HDD to crash (it resets as though it was just connected, Windows is on my C:\ SSD drive) and other times I get a BSOD and the machine restarts.

This has happened using both front USB ports and with 2 different USB drives - one USB 3.0 the other USB 2.0. It doens't happen all the time either, only sometimes which is making it difficult to troubleshoot. It has yet to happen when using my external USB 2.0 hub, but as I said it doesn't happen 100% of the time on the front ports either.

I've used disk management to ensure there is no drive letter conflict, which was my original thought before I got any BSODs.

Here are the full system specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-UD3 v1.1
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 980
RAM: 16 GB Patriot DDR3 1333
GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 580
Primary Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
Secondary Hard Drive: 2x WD Black SATA III 1 TB disks using onboard RAID 0

I have the .dmp file from the last BSOD available here for anyone who would like to help, I don't exactly know what to do with it myself.

http://webpages.sdsmt.edu/~1832707/files/errordump.zip

osirus23

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
Thanks for the replies.

I tried moving the Front ports to a different connector on the Motherboard and it still would cause crashes/BSODs. Likewise I tried connecting a rear-panel USB adapter to the motherboard connector originally being used for the front ports and have yet to have any problems with them.

I contacted Antec and they are sending out a replacement front-panel assembly. Until then I am avoiding using the front USB ports.

chris9486

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2013
I have the same motherboard and I am having continuous problems with the USB 3 ports no matter which I use. When I have my USB 3 external hard drive connected at the back it will often cause the computer to just reboot when I am accessing it. It doesn't do it when it is connected to a USB 2 port. Same with the front ports too. I can almost instantaneously crash my PC if I plug my phone in to a USB 3 port and try copy something to it.

Gregory Berdette

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
I am having the same issue with an ASUS Z87M-PLUS motherboard. Doesn't matter which USB 3.0 ports I use, but I cannot connect two external USB 3.0 HDDs without experiencing the same problem...everything will work fine, but then without warning my computer will shut off (as if it had had the power plug pulled) and then restart on its own. This happens consistently, but with varying duration before the failure. This problem is not present if I use only one USB 3.0 HDD. Problem happens with both a WD / WD configuration and a WD / Seagate configuration. Both HDDs have an external power supply (power supply is not an issue). I am going to buy a USB 3.0 hub and see if that resolves the problem. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Follow up: I am using a Dynex 4-port USB 3.0 Superspeed Hub and I have not had any problems since using the hub. Before, I would have a crash every day. The hub comes with its own auxillary power supply, but I didn't need to use it because the two HDDs connected to the hub have their own power supply. Everything works fine now.