Solved

~$1200 Final Check

Hey guys, just wanted to post what I've decided on so far and looking for some advice. I'm going to be getting the processor and motherboard from a friend at a steal but I'm not sure of the motherboard but the processor is the i7 2600k.

Approximate Purchase Date: Next two weeks

Budget Range: $1200-$1300

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, but all around usage as well. Trying to future proof it as much as possible so SLI might be an option in the future.

Parts Not Required: Monitor and Speakers.

Preferred Websites for Parts: Newegg and Amazon, but if you have any better/cheaper places feel free.

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: Gaming on a 1900x1200 monitor but no other real preference.

Overclocking: Processor for sure, not sure about the GPU

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Additional Comments: Trying to keep things cool and efficient. Thus the case, fan, PSU, etc.

CD/DVD
ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

CASE
COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

HDD
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

GPU
MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

PSU
SeaSonic X650 Gold 650W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Heatsink
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7

Mouse
Logitech G9x Black Two modes scroll USB Wired Laser 5700 dpi Gaming Mouse

Keyboard
Microsoft SideWinder X4 Keyboard

Total: $1191.85 give or take
18 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 1200 final check
  1. If you have a little wiggle room left I would grab a solid state drive to install windows 7 on. You wont regret it.. Use the Samsung as your second drive. Nice build overall. I might have went with a better PSU, especially if you plan on doing SLI or crossfire down the road... The experts will certainly chime in soon enough! Enjoy
  2. btw... do you have an Operating system?
  3. The XFX Black Edition 750 gets the same 10.0 performance rating on jonnyguru.com as the Seasonic X-650 ($130) .... but it's got 100 more watts and is only $100. It will give you a bit more headroom for dual GFX card upgrade in the future and overclocking that 2600k

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207003

    Would suggest these over the GSkills

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226099
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145324
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226184
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104173

    Or these CAS 7's if ya want something faster

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226178

    Spend another $10 and move up to a better Cooler

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185142&cm_re=Scythe_2100-_-35-185-142-_-Product
    http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=447&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=15

    MoBo - I'd go with the Asus P8P67 Pro or Sabertooth
  4. ^ Agreed, but contrary, I say go with the Asrock Extreme4 P67. After BIOS revision that thing beats out the P8P67 Pro, not beat though. More like on par. The Extreme4 is also 30$ cheaper.
  5. doesn't OP already got mobo?

    @OP please provide us with the mobo you got for a "steal"
  6. Best answer
    Hello realdeal. That psu you have chosen is a good one, but if you plan on running two of those 560's in SLI and o/c then your cutting it to the bone.

    Take a look at this psu down below.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207003 $129.99 - $99.99 after mail-in rebate 10% off w/ promo code PSU11FEB, limited offer
    XFX Black Edition P1-750B-CAG9 750W ATX12V v2.2 / ESP12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

    or...

    http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Truepower-TP-750-BLUE-Management/dp/B001RTPMM4/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1298395469&sr=1-1 $89.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
    Antec Truepower 23754 TP-750 BLUE LED 750-Watt PSU NVIDIA SLI Certified 80 Plus Bronze Advanced Hybrid Cable Management Power Supply

    Same cpu cooler yet cheaper and free shipping...

    http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-RR-B10-212P-G1-Universal-Heat-Pipe/dp/B002G1YPH0/ref=sr_1_1?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1298783579&sr=1-1 $26.28 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
    Cooler Master RR-B10-212P-G1 Hyper 212 Plus

    Same case as above...

    http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-RC-922M-KKN1-GP-Tower-Black/dp/B0026FCI2U/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1298783729&sr=1-4 $103.98 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
    Cooler Master RC-922M-KKN1-GP HAF 922M ATX Mid Tower Case (Black)

    Also that MSI 560 can be had on Amazon for the same price but free shipping, or even a better card imo is this one down below...

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125363 $244.99
    GIGABYTE GV-N560OC-1GI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

    Here's a very good gaming mouse worth looking at imo...

    http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G500-Programmable-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B002J9GDXI/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1298783347&sr=1-3 $53.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
    Logitech G500 Programmable Gaming Mouse
  7. JackNaylorPE said:
    The XFX Black Edition 750 gets the same 10.0 performance rating on jonnyguru.com as the Seasonic X-650 ($130) .... but it's got 100 more watts and is only $100. It will give you a bit more headroom for dual GFX card upgrade in the future and overclocking that 2600k

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207003

    Would suggest these over the GSkills

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226099
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145324
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226184
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104173

    Or these CAS 7's if ya want something faster

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226178

    Spend another $10 and move up to a better Cooler

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185142&cm_re=Scythe_2100-_-35-185-142-_-Product
    http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=447&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=15

    MoBo - I'd go with the Asus P8P67 Pro or Sabertooth

    I am curious as to why you recommended that RAM over the G.Skill the OP chose ? Correct me if I'm wrong.. but the G.Skill only needs 1.5v to get it's rated timings and speed vs the 1.65v required for those sets of Corsair and one of those sets of Mushkin you posted.

    That and all the reviews Iv'e read all said the same thing...these 1155 mobo's work better with lower voltage RAM.
  8. 1.5v recommended for SB, tolerance up to 1.58v that's what I have heard at least
  9. joelmartinez said:
    1.5v recommended for SB, tolerance up to 1.58v that's what I have heard at least

    That and any RAM that requires higher voltage in order for it to achieve it's rated speed and timings usually means "not as good" as RAM that requires less voltage.
  10. jasoneduke said:
    btw... do you have an Operating system?


    Yeah, I just didn't list it but I put it into the price. Getting Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit :)
  11. JackNaylorPE said:
    The XFX Black Edition 750 gets the same 10.0 performance rating on jonnyguru.com as the Seasonic X-650 ($130) .... but it's got 100 more watts and is only $100. It will give you a bit more headroom for dual GFX card upgrade in the future and overclocking that 2600k

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207003

    Would suggest these over the GSkills

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226099
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145324
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226184
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104173

    Or these CAS 7's if ya want something faster

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226178

    Spend another $10 and move up to a better Cooler

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185142&cm_re=Scythe_2100-_-35-185-142-_-Product
    http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=447&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=15

    MoBo - I'd go with the Asus P8P67 Pro or Sabertooth


    My reasoning for going with that power adapter was for the Gold efficiency along with it. Would it be better to go with higher wattage you think rather than the efficiency?
  12. joelmartinez said:
    doesn't OP already got mobo?

    @OP please provide us with the mobo you got for a "steal"


    Honestly haven't looked too much at it yet. I know I should but I'm not sure what is all available for him to buy. From what he said is he can get me about 10% off any motherboard and I'm looking for around $100-120 so I guess MSRP of around $120-140 would be good for me.
  13. ^ Higher wattage and silver efficiency beats out lower wattage and gold efficiency. With a 650w Gold you still won't be able to run 570 SLI but with a 750w Silver you'll have the chance to attempt it, most likely it'll workout. IMO Gold efficiency should be fore HTPC builders or things like that.
  14. Why_Me said:
    Also that MSI 560 can be had on Amazon for the same price but free shipping, or even a better card imo is this one down below...

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125363 $244.99
    GIGABYTE GV-N560OC-1GI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card


    My thought process for the MSI was just about making sure the thing was really cool and then attempt overclocking later because I hear the MSI's cooler is really nice. What about the above card, besides the clocks, do you feel is better? :)
  15. aznshinobi said:
    ^ Higher wattage and silver efficiency beats out lower wattage and gold efficiency. With a 650w Gold you still won't be able to run 570 SLI but with a 750w Silver you'll have the chance to attempt it, most likely it'll workout. IMO Gold efficiency should be fore HTPC builders or things like that.


    Alright, that makes sense to me. Changed it in my build and I was a little worried about the watts as well. Thanks for the advice!
  16. aznshinobi said:

    See, I've been looking for that card but I can't find it anywhere. The one you linked above is the one below the one from the review because the clock is only at 830. That was why I went with the MSI because it's the same price and at 880.
  17. Best answer selected by therealdeal723.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product