High Guard on ships

I notice in the Diplomat software that there is a check box for
'High Guard on board' in the ship creation screen. Does a High Guard
Ranger being present on a ship have any combat effects other than the
Fed combat repair bonus? I know High Guard also help to defend against
spy attacks, but I wouldn't expect that to figure into a combat
simulator.

Thanks,
Ashran
5 answers Last reply
More about high guard ships

    You need high guard on ships to protect you from spy attacks against
    your ships. I haven't played any races (yet) that get any other types
    of bonuses with HG on ships.

    Magik

    I was curious about the spy attack thing, so I did a little searching
    here and found this nice set of tidbits:

    * 40% of the time a high guard ranger can stop an enemy spy attack on a
    base that would have otherwise caused damage.
    * 2 or more high guard on a ship will block a spy attack on the ship.
    * If a ship has at least 1 high guard ranger onboard and an enemy tries
    to steal your ship plans there is a 75% chance the attempt will fail.
    * There is a 5% chance that a spy attack on a ship will get around all
    the above listed blocks.

    It does also depend on which race is doing the sabotage. Birds for
    example can do sabotage right through HG almost like they do not exist.
    They have a chance of doing the otherwise impossible spy mission. And
    the race spy rating from the race stats modifies the sabotage attack.
    So a race like the EE has a 70 spy rating and can use sabotage more
    effective than someone with a lower spy rating. Excess mana also helps
    a sabotage attack. I.E. sabotage uses 200 mana but if you have 400 or
    600 mana saved up you still only use 200 mana but are more effective
    with the attack.

    Then your races' light powers I believe add a modifier to help
    prevent sabotage damage. So if your light powers are low then you are
    subject to more damage anyway than someone with high light powers.

    What is new in host 27:
    New: 20 or more high guard on a ship will block a spy attack on the
    ship
    New: If (Random number from 1 to 200) < your race's Force Good rating
    and you have one high guard on a ship the spy attack on the ship is
    blocked.
    New: If (Random number from 1 to 600) is less that your ship's
    happiness rating the spy attack is blocked.
    New: There is a 5% chance that a spy attack on a ship will get around
    all the above listed blocks

    What is new in Host.exe Version 4.000.046
    New: 40% of the time a high guard ranger can stop an enemy spy attack
    on a base that would have otherwise caused damage

    What is new in Host.exe Version 4.000.125
    New: Spy attack turned off if a player misses 10 turns

    What is new in Host.exe Version 4.000.163:
    Changed: Spy attacks on ships can be stopped with just 2 high guards on
    board the ship (most of the time). Before this change you needed 21 or
    more high guard to defeat a spy attack on your ships.

    What is new in Host.exe Version 4.000.166:
    New: Spying does not work until turn 10.

    Magik

    ashrangildowan writes

    > I notice in the Diplomat software that there is a check box for
    >'High Guard on board' in the ship creation screen. Does a High Guard
    >Ranger being present on a ship have any combat effects other than the
    >Fed combat repair bonus? I know High Guard also help to defend against
    >spy attacks, but I wouldn't expect that to figure into a combat
    >simulator.

    Tim has stated (long, long ago in a mailing list far away) that a HG on
    a ship (you just need one) increases the accuracy of the ship weapons. I
    must say that I've tested it and see no difference, but there was enough
    randomness in the fights that it's possible. In fact in some fights it
    seemed the HG made things worse.

    A HG on a Wing is meant to increase the accuracy of the Wing too. Mind
    you, Tim found recently that it actually improved the accuracy of the
    ENEMY wing - now fixed - I think that was after a relative newcomer to
    the game squawked about it - us old timers are invariably too close to
    the woods to see the trees, all the big bugs are found by newbies!
    --
    Paul Honigmann

    > What is new in host 27:
    > New: 20 or more high guard on a ship will block a spy attack on the
    > ship
    > New: If (Random number from 1 to 200) < your race's Force Good rating
    > and you have one high guard on a ship the spy attack on the ship is
    > blocked.
    > New: If (Random number from 1 to 600) is less that your ship's
    > happiness rating the spy attack is blocked.

    Here you have the use of the Holodeck:)

    Greetings
    Sebastian

    "KlingonKommand" <Paul@nurk.fnord> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:G7EwYJEm1jkCFwBc@furfur.demon.co.uk...

    > ENEMY wing - now fixed - I think that was after a relative newcomer to
    > the game squawked about it - us old timers are invariably too close to
    > the woods to see the trees, all the big bugs are found by newbies!

    But only as Tim gave the code in question to me...

Games Software Video Games