MSI 880G-E45 & CF

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKTAL

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
hello all,

i have just purchased an msi 880g-e45. on the box it says that i will be able to crossfire with a radeon card, but how is crossfire possible if i have one pci-e 2.0 X16 port ( the radeon 5770 uses that port). will i be able to stick another one in the regular pci express 2.0 port for the same performance?

any help would be appreciated

Solution
Hybrid crossfire is running a low end graphics card in conjuction with the integrated graphics. You can't use your HD 5770 for hybrid xfire, because it is of the wrong GPU series. And hybrid xfire isn't all that good anyway.

The AMD chipset you have will not allow Nvidia SLI even if you had a 2nd slot. And you need at least two PCIe x16 slots to do either Xfire or SLI.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That board cannot do crossfire. That board is designed for a single card only. Can you take a pic of where on the box it says that? And no, you can't put a PCI card in a PCI slot and have it do crossfire with a card in the PCIe x16 slot.

AKTAL

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
sorry no pic, but it clearly says on back:

Video:

ATI Radeon HD 4200

1 PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot

support ATI Hybrid Crossfire Technology

BUT CAN IT DO SLI?

also would a pci-e 2.1 card work on pci-e 2.0 motherboard?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Hybrid crossfire is running a low end graphics card in conjuction with the integrated graphics. You can't use your HD 5770 for hybrid xfire, because it is of the wrong GPU series. And hybrid xfire isn't all that good anyway.

The AMD chipset you have will not allow Nvidia SLI even if you had a 2nd slot. And you need at least two PCIe x16 slots to do either Xfire or SLI.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.