Help...is my 275gtx fried?

drake3498

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Hello I bought a new geforce 275 gtx oc2 about 2 months ago and I used it to play SC2 and all those very good games on high and it worked fantastic. Last night I was playing bewitcher enhanced on high for about an hour and i noticed the fan wasnt revving up and i thought maybe it was supposed to be like that. Well my pc locked up and went blank after a few minutes and I started to smell a REALLY bad burning plastic like stinch. I forced the power off and checked where it was comming from. I could not exactly find out where but im 99% sure its my geforce. I can start my pc up and login windows fine like normal but when i launch anything like minecraft to starcraft 2, my pc will get a blank screen and ill smell that terrible strong burning odor again. sometimes when i reboot it would lock up on desktop and ill have to force off or ill smell burning again. When i check the core temp, it idles around 47-50c when i restart after a lockup its like 57c. When I try to launch minecraft in safemode itll say ingame that something about opengl isnt installed or working properly or something. Can somebody please explain whats going on with my geforce 275gtx? its my baby and i hope i dont have to buy another, thank!

any suggestions if i have to buy a new card would be great cuz i was looking at a geforce 470gt since its great for the price but im also considering rebuying a 275gtx cuz its cheap and freaking works great. thanks for replies

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
I had a similar problem with my Evga 275 heating up, took it apart and found out that ALL the T.I.M., had moved to the top and right of the gpu had to remove same and replace with new Arctic Silver 5,,,maybe,??..:)

Chances are that you had a very bad electrical short that has damaged something. Either it is the psu (unlikely as it would effect whole system) or in your case your card. Was it making odd noises before this like a odd but high pitch ringing noise like a crt would give off? I think that a choke may have failed and shorted out part of the power vrm on the card resulting in low current to the gpu. Runs fine you say in 2D till you put load then it stresses the vrm causing the shorted area to heat up thus giving off the burning smell and a black screen. The only other thing that can do this is the phase that powers the pci-e slot on the board. If it were the phases that power the cpu the system would run much at all long enough to boot into windows. So contact the company that made the card for an RMA. If you do not then you have no choice but to pull the card or the damaged board to avoid any chance of a fire hazard as people have been unlucky to have a house fire started by their machine/rig.

drake3498

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010

No my psi just replaced before i got the card was a brand new ozc stealth xstream 700w psu. hmm :( but i think the gpu is shorted but not sure yet

drake3498

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010

Nope it doesn't make any noises when I launch an application, my pc would just go blank and ill start to smell a REALLY BAD odor. idk whats the problem i gotten an evga fan app controller, works fine. Well i havnt seen smoke come out of it yet so i think whats going on is the app shorts it out or something and it burns really fast inside the plastic heatsink thingy. Oh btw its getting worse now idk whats going on, now about everytime i turn on the pc and put my password, itll login, go on desktop for a second and go blank and ill start to smell burning. you have any ideas ? thanks