Sign in with
Your question

Advice for a CPU/RAM upgrade

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
May 28, 2011 10:57:15 PM

Hello,
Firstly, I'll say sorry for asking whats probably a bit of a basic components question, but I really am a bit of an amateur when it comes to PCs, and I don't want to spend £60 on parts to find out I've made a balls-up.
I'm planning on upgrading our old family desktop, which was built by a family friend a few years ago. The mobo is an ASRock P4i65G
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?model=p4i65g
and I just wanted to check whether these parts will work.
The processor I am looking at is a 3.0GHz Intel Pentium 4
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/81385
Also, at the moment it has a 512MB PC3200U RAM chip. I've been looking at these 1GB RAM chips to add
http://www.ebuyer.com/search?page=1&store=2&cat=3&filte...
and these all say they're PC3200. Will these play nice with the 512MB PC3200U chip I already have, or is there another specific type of RAM I need? If you need more information about the chip I already have, its made by elixer (whoever they are), and on the side it says "PC3200U-30331 512MB 1Rx8 400"
I'd really appreciate any advice you could give me with this.
Cheers

More about : advice cpu ram upgrade

May 28, 2011 11:25:48 PM

Hello pottage.

Yes the Intel P4 will work.

For the RAM though, it is tricky. It is sometimes a bad idea to add in a 2nd RAM chip that is different. Especially if it is a different size. I suggest getting 2x1GB DDR400 RAM and just taking out the single 512MB piece.

Also, what operating system are you currently using?
a c 103 à CPUs
May 28, 2011 11:28:36 PM

Those items you've picked will do fine if you want to put money into the system,
had you considered moving up to something a little more recent techwise?
not to worry if that one is still meeting your needs alright, just thought I'd ask
**Edit, just realised you were wanting to add the ram to existing stick, if you get the new stick, replace the old one with it and file the old stick in a static bag somewhere
Moto
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 28, 2011 11:34:24 PM

The parts you have chosen are 5+ years old and as such are probably a complete waste of money as an upgrade.

The biggest performance boost on an older system running windows XP is likely to be by adding more RAM . Chances are adding any stick will work , so buy a 1 gig stick and install it . If it fails to boot then remove the original and try again .
But it will almost certainly work if you use pc 3200 .

If you are running windows 98 or Windows ME then its not worth installing more RAM . Neither were designed to use more than 512 mb and can get flakey if they try .
May 28, 2011 11:38:55 PM

Hi Motopsychojdn, thanks for the quick reply.
I was thinking about getting a new system, but I really wouldn't be using it enough to make it worthwhile spending the £300+ I would have to. The rest of the machine's fine, still got enough harddrive space, dvd drive works, it's just been chugging along a lot, so wanted to ease up the load, do the basics without having to wait 30 secs after clicking on something for it to do it. All I really do is browse the web, do the occasional spreadsheet/letter, listen to music and burn the odd CD.
May 28, 2011 11:44:20 PM

@ikyung I'm running XP, service pack 3.
@Outlander_04 The reason I wanted to get a replacement processor is that just doing something simple like uninstalling a program/trying to open firefox was banging the CPU usage on task manager to 100% and staying there for quite a while, so I think my system's pretty CPU-limited. At the moment its only got a 1.7GHz celeron processor.
!